Join Early Retirement Today

Sabbatical or RE??
Old 02-11-2020, 09:09 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sabbatical or RE??

I thought sabbaticals were typically oriented to credentialed academics who used the time to advance knowledge in their field (that is, continued to work).

A leave of absence is different but reasonable.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2020, 06:38 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thank you for your opinion about what is “reasonable”. You are also incorrect. From Wikipedia:

“History
The concept of the sabbatical is based on the Biblical practice of shmita, which is related to agriculture. According to Leviticus 25, Jews in the Land of Israel must take a year-long break from working the fields every seven years. A "sabbatical" has come to mean an extended absence in the career of an individual to fulfill some goal, e.g., writing a book or travelling extensively for research.

Some universities and other institutional employers of scientists, physicians, and academics offer the opportunity to qualify for paid sabbatical as an employee benefit, called sabbatical leave. Some companies offer unpaid sabbatical for people wanting to take career breaks; this is a growing trend in the United Kingdom, with 20% of companies having a career break policy, and a further 10% considering introducing one.[1]

In British and Irish students' unions, particularly in higher education institutions, students can be elected to become sabbatical officers of their students' union, either taking a year out of their study (in the academic year following their election) or remaining at the institution for a year following completion of study.
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 08:11 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

^^^^^ Interesting, but in the US, sabbaticals are most associated with academic leaves for research and/or writing, and more recently companies jumped on the bandwagon.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 01:32 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtown View Post
I approached my boss to have the conversation in late spring, thinking of leaving in early summer. He was very accepting of my decision (he wanted to move on soon himself), but asked me to stay for five more months, which I did. In hindsight, staying the extra few months was very difficult for me since I was already “done”. Don’t prolong the status quo if you’re ready to go.

Psychologically, I was fully committed to my next chapter and my DW was supportive, too. In preparation, I made a list of things I might want to do if I had more free time. It became a cathartic exercise as I listed hundreds of things to do, places to go, people to hang out with, books to read, etc. I haven’t been bored for a minute...it was just time to move on. I may never work again, but positioned my situation as a sabbatical because I might want to do some consulting and wanted my professional contacts to keep me in mind.

One other thing, if there was a downturn in the markets I always thought I could get a lesser paying job that could close any financial gaps. I knew that I was walking away from a well-paid position, but I was at peace with the risk in doing so.

Best of luck and enjoy New Zealand!
Hey Downtown how have you been faring with the lockdown, etc?? Can't believe I posted this thread right before the madness started.
tmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 10:14 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmitchell View Post
Hey Downtown how have you been faring with the lockdown, etc?? Can't believe I posted this thread right before the madness started.
Well, 2020 has been the gift that keeps on giving. That is for sure. What a crazy year.

I took my self-funded sabbatical for 6 months and did some adventure travel and other physical things that I needed to get out my system. It was glorious and I'm glad I pulled the trigger because who would have guessed that everything was going to shutdown.

Just before COVID hit, I had started pursuing some part-time consulting work. This wasn't because I needed the income, but rather because I was interested in the work. It took several months to get my operation off the ground, but since I was basically trapped in my home, it was a good time to work on the business. I now have paying clients 1-2 days per week, intellectual stimulation, autonomy, and the ability to do more fun stuff once the world returns to some sense of normalcy (e.g., travel, visiting family members, dinner with friends, time in the gym, etc.).

So, 2020 was a year of transition, and I feel I have created a situation that is sustainable for a long time. I guess the retirement police would say I'm still working, which is true, but I think semi-retirement is more accurate. I've got one foot in the working world and one foot in retirement...and for now that suits me just fine.

I should add that the market downturn in March definitely caught our attention, but we rebalanced and otherwise stayed the course. If the market turns down sharply in the future, I am keeping my skills fresh, so I'm confident I could increase my income if we got into a financial pinch.

Overall, it's been really healthy for me to embrace new things and proactively evolve my life. I hope you find some insight from my perspective. What are your plans?!
Downtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 01:27 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtown View Post
Well, 2020 has been the gift that keeps on giving. That is for sure. What a crazy year.

I took my self-funded sabbatical for 6 months and did some adventure travel and other physical things that I needed to get out my system. It was glorious and I'm glad I pulled the trigger because who would have guessed that everything was going to shutdown.

Just before COVID hit, I had started pursuing some part-time consulting work. This wasn't because I needed the income, but rather because I was interested in the work. It took several months to get my operation off the ground, but since I was basically trapped in my home, it was a good time to work on the business. I now have paying clients 1-2 days per week, intellectual stimulation, autonomy, and the ability to do more fun stuff once the world returns to some sense of normalcy (e.g., travel, visiting family members, dinner with friends, time in the gym, etc.).

So, 2020 was a year of transition, and I feel I have created a situation that is sustainable for a long time. I guess the retirement police would say I'm still working, which is true, but I think semi-retirement is more accurate. I've got one foot in the working world and one foot in retirement...and for now that suits me just fine.

I should add that the market downturn in March definitely caught our attention, but we rebalanced and otherwise stayed the course. If the market turns down sharply in the future, I am keeping my skills fresh, so I'm confident I could increase my income if we got into a financial pinch.

Overall, it's been really healthy for me to embrace new things and proactively evolve my life. I hope you find some insight from my perspective. What are your plans?!
Wow that actually sounds like a great transition. Glad you got to do some traveling despite all the madness.

I'm struggling a bit. I had decided to give notice Jan 5th, but with covid and not being able to travel freely I'm now reconsidering sticking it out until my contract ends in early October. I'm bored to tears with my job, and the idea of OMY is not very enticing, but maybe it's wise to stay the course. The advantage of leaving when my actual contract is up is that it's a natural breaking point. I guess we'll see!

Congrats on finding a way to gain more time & autonomy!
tmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote