Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-27-2015, 08:58 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
Just saw an ad for Aldi's "wild caught salmon" 32 ounce frozen with skin on, boneless. $7.49 for the package, meaning $3.75 per pound. Not a bad price. Think I will pick some up and try it.
It's pretty good, and cheaper than beef around here. I think they have a 1 lb package that's $4 and already skinned. So you're paying the same price per pound of actual fish that you eat, except the 1 lb is already skinned (saving you some prep work).

The 1 lb packages also have each filet individually sealed in a second bag, thereby preventing it from getting freezer burn or drying out. Also makes it easy to thaw quickly in a lukewarm water bath if you want to fry it up but didn't have the forethought to defrost it before meal time.

The only problem is the fillets are on the thin side (4 oz salmon fillets can only be so thick), so it only takes a little extra pan-time to overcook it. It's also wild salmon so not quite as fatty as the farm raised variety (more dry to start).
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2015, 11:09 AM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
It's pretty good, and cheaper than beef around here. I think they have a 1 lb package that's $4 and already skinned. So you're paying the same price per pound of actual fish that you eat, except the 1 lb is already skinned (saving you some prep work).

The 1 lb packages also have each filet individually sealed in a second bag, thereby preventing it from getting freezer burn or drying out. Also makes it easy to thaw quickly in a lukewarm water bath if you want to fry it up but didn't have the forethought to defrost it before meal time.

The only problem is the fillets are on the thin side (4 oz salmon fillets can only be so thick), so it only takes a little extra pan-time to overcook it. It's also wild salmon so not quite as fatty as the farm raised variety (more dry to start).
This is not drier because it is wild, it is drier because it is a different species. Usually called Humpies, this is the most common variety of pink salmon. In Washington, big runs are only every other year. Pinks are less fat than the species called red salmon, mainly Sockeye canned or frozen, and Sockeye, Chinook or (somewhat less fat) silver salmon mainly sold fresh and never as cheap as pinks.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/cal...hina-143680379

Ha
Old 02-27-2015, 11:15 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Haven't looked recently, but my local Costco used to carry frozen wild-caught sockeye.
I haven't seen it recently, but they used to.

I haven't been satisfied with my results cooking sockeye yet. I find it rather challenging.

Other than hot smoking it where it does great.
Old 02-27-2015, 05:37 PM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

Our local Kroger and Publix have good Salmon. We just look for product of China and avoid If so. Grilled or baked.
Old 02-28-2015, 10:34 AM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisherman View Post
Our local Kroger and Publix have good Salmon. We just look for product of China and avoid If so. Grilled or baked.
Update: I went to my Aldi's store to check out the $3.75 per pound wild caught frozen salmon. Nice packaging, on the thin side though, as was noted before, 4 nice portions each in its own additional package. So far so good. Then I turned over the package and read some details. Sourced from Northwest Pacific and from Northeast Pacific. Also product of China. Envisioned Chinese trawler scooping up radiation-laced salmon near Japan. Got paranoid, went to Giant next door and bought fresh $7.95 per pound Atlantic farm-raised, whatever it has at least it isn't radiation. Supposedly!
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 02:46 PM   #46
Full time employment: Posting here.

We hot smoked some farm raised salmon from Costco last week, it was excellent! Salmon was laid on a bed of cinnamon sticks using a recipe from the Bradley Smoker site and was perfect, stayed nice and moist, we used alder wood for the smoke. Warmed it in the oven wrapped in foil for a second meal and it tasted just as good as the first time- hmmm, maybe time for a run to Costco to pick up some more salmon!
davemartin88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 02:53 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemartin88 View Post
We hot smoked some farm raised salmon from Costco last week, it was excellent! Salmon was laid on a bed of cinnamon sticks using a recipe from the Bradley Smoker site and was perfect, stayed nice and moist, we used alder wood for the smoke. Warmed it in the oven wrapped in foil for a second meal and it tasted just as good as the first time- hmmm, maybe time for a run to Costco to pick up some more salmon!
Hot-smoking is one thing that I think sockeye is perfect for. I like the stronger taste of sockeye as that really stands up to the smoke flavors.
Old 02-28-2015, 02:54 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
Update: I went to my Aldi's store to check out the $3.75 per pound wild caught frozen salmon. Nice packaging, on the thin side though, as was noted before, 4 nice portions each in its own additional package. So far so good. Then I turned over the package and read some details. Sourced from Northwest Pacific and from Northeast Pacific. Also product of China. Envisioned Chinese trawler scooping up radiation-laced salmon near Japan. Got paranoid, went to Giant next door and bought fresh $7.95 per pound Atlantic farm-raised, whatever it has at least it isn't radiation. Supposedly!
Yeah, my dad was excited about his Aldi's wild salmon purchase and then we noticed "product of China".