Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-15-2020, 10:09 AM   #21

I'd look at potential realtor's listings on Zillow. Look at the pictures with a super critical eye.

Are they well-styled? Nice angles, well lit? Do they "sell" the house - because that's how most people start shopping.
I cannot tell you how many times I've seen listings with egregious sins: Kitchen with a garbage can wide open, dishes in the sink. Bathrooms with 173 personal grooming products on display. Coffee tables cluttered with family photos.
Home-styling 101 fails. (not bad to live that way, we all do, but not good to try to sell that way)

When I sell it will be with one who understands the value of a really great listing.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2020, 10:17 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
I'd look at potential realtor's listings on Zillow. Look at the pictures with a super critical eye.

Are they well-styled? Nice angles, well lit? Do they "sell" the house - because that's how most people start shopping.
I cannot tell you how many times I've seen listings with egregious sins: Kitchen with a garbage can wide open, dishes in the sink. Bathrooms with 173 personal grooming products on display. Coffee tables cluttered with family photos.
Home-styling 101 fails. (not bad to live that way, we all do, but not good to try to sell that way)

When I sell it will be with one who understands the value of a really great listing.
There are web sites showing RE agent picture fails. Agent in the picture via the mirror, etc. When we sold our home the agent got a pro to take the pictures. They frame it & light it correctly. Move something that should not be in the picture. We had a 3D done where you can look around the room & move between rooms. More & more of the listing sites do something similar. It was money well spent for us. My wife & I joked that we wanted to move back in
Scrapr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 05:12 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

A few years ago a relative asked me for a referral for a real estate agent in the DC area, even though I rented the entire time I lived near DC. This relative was functioning as executor of the estate of an acquaintance and needed to sell a nice condo in a desirable area.

I browsed a listing of DC-area agents and selected the one I would most be interested in dating. I found a nice one - mass of dark hair, dark eyes, fabulous body, multi-lingual, etc. - a perfect match. I passed her name along as my referral.

This agent turned out to be a barracuda. Instead of trying to sell the condo, she made a low-ball offer on the place, hoping for a quick fix-up-and-flip for massive personal profit. My relative fired her and found another agent.

Have I learned my lesson? Probably not.
socca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 07:31 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapr View Post
There are web sites showing RE agent picture fails. Agent in the picture via the mirror, etc. When we sold our home the agent got a pro to take the pictures. They frame it & light it correctly. Move something that should not be in the picture. We had a 3D done where you can look around the room & move between rooms. More & more of the listing sites do something similar. It was money well spent for us. My wife & I joked that we wanted to move back in
In addition to what everyone else has said, I agree with these posts in particular.

We just sold our home and are buying a home (long distance). The whole "marketing" pitch is a relic. People now first look at Zillow and Realtor.com (there are others, but those are the big guys). As such, photos are the thing that will grab shoppers' attention and make them look at the description.

As we shopped for a home, professional photos and a 3D tour (a real one, not a slide show called a 'tour') are the listings that caught our eye first. The tour is wonderful to give a shopper a real visual on the space of the home because the still photos are taken with such a strange lens/filter that things are distorted and discolored. The video tour gives a more real feel. In the days of COVID and people being so busy, these things help sell a house by allowing them to walk around and not waste anyone's time.

Another thing that we appreciated when house shopping are the listings that list tons of info. Updates are especially invaluable. I don't need to know every amenity in the area if it means the realtor won't have room to say that there is a newer roof, AC, water heater, etc. Things like that. Don't make me ask!

When we listed our house, I made sure the realtor was going to hire a professional photographer and list as much info as possible. The house (much higher than the average sales price in my area) sold fast in the middle of COVID quarantine.

As for choosing a realtor, I would also throw in that whoever you choose should be someone you feel that you can ask questions of/guide you through the process. He/she will know repair persons, lawyers, and simply be there as the middleman in case of glitches. If you're comfortable selling on your own, that's awesome, but it had been 15 years since we last sold and things had changed an awful lot, not to mention our realtor was the go-between, meaning we didn't have to talk to any buyers. People are nuts and we were happy to not have to deal with that. Also, in my area, a FSBO simply means buyers automatically take off that 6% "because the sellers don't have to pay a realtor" another % off for 'bargaining', so FSBOs don't do well here for sellers. Did our realtor make out like a bandit? Oh, yes, but it was worth it for us. We just sat back, answered questions, and signed papers.
always_learning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 07:57 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolRich59 View Post
This is what concerns me for when we decide to sell. Our nephew is now a hobby realtor (he has a full-time job and a young family). But, based on the chatter at recent family gatherings, I understand that he's now the *official* realtor for anyone in the family who puts their home on the market.
DW and I don't involve friends or family in the following:
- Physicians
- Lawyers
- Realtors
- Financial advisors

We may ask for referrals.

We've had friends BEG us to be their F.A. Hell no! Great way to lose a friendship. When asked, we simply tell them that's our rule. (And I also don't tell them I'm my own F.A.)

Good luck negotiating your family situation since the nephew is now official. That could be tricky depending on the emotions of the family.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote