Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-15-2021, 01:34 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
I bet your insurance company also has specific policies regarding how long you can leave the house empty and how often someone must check up on it.

You made me look. I just clarified with Liberty Mutual that this is not a problem. As long as our stuff remains in the house, it is considered occupied and insured.
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2021, 02:54 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We kept our house up north because it is lakefront.... if it had been our prior home that was 25 miles away then I doubt that we would have kept it... we probably would have just rented a condo for the summer at one of the ski areas... they are plentiful and a pretty good deal for the summer as I understand.

Our son checks in on our place occasionally, but I can monitor the temperature via a wi-fi thermostat and the water is turned off while no one is there... I also have three Blink security cameras for monitoring as well.

The insurer for our winter condo does require that we have someone visit occasionally.

The annual carrying costs for our winter condo are about the same cost as rent for a season... actually a bit less... and while we have no investment earnings from what we have invested in the winter condo it is appreciating some.

For us, snowbirding isn't at all wishy-washiness about where we want to live... in fact it is really assertiveness that we don't want to live in snowy winters nor do we want to live in hot and humid summers.... by snowbirding we have pretty good weather year-round (albeit at a cost).

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 03:57 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Most of our close friends have kept their main home, and they've got rental condo's on the Gulf Coast 400 miles south.

They run back and forth--using the beach place a number of weeks a year. And most will take a month in the Fall just as soon as the renters quit going down there.

Our lake house has a 6 mile over water view with magnificent sunsets this time of the year. And it's just 70 minutes from home. With ridiculously cheap property taxes, we can afford the upkeep.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 07:40 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ncc1701 View Post
Hi All, Question for the snowbirds. Did you keep your house up North or did you sell it and come back North in the summer to something different?

I have no attachment to my house up North but my wife may not want to spend the full year down South. She wants to keep the house but I would rather sell it and instead get a Airbnb or stay in a place like Extended Stay America rather than hang onto the house. My feeling is this. Why deal with property taxes, insurance and maintenance when these options make it so easy to be so mobile these days? In addition, the extra income provided by investing the home sale proceeds would be really nice.

Am I missing something? Thanks for your thoughts.
snowbirds by definition fly away for 3-5 months before returning home. we've kept our home cuz we love it and have spent the last 20-yrs remodeling and improving it. and no air bnb or extended stay hotel is gonna be 'home'. not to us anyway.
Administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 07:11 AM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Many snowbirds sell their northern home and buy a new condo up north in the same location near old friends. They buy in a ranch style condo development with pool and all exterior snow removal and yard work done by an HOA. Lock snd leave they call it. This becomes your primary residence as many snowbirds just travel south for less than half the year to avoid the heat and humidity in spring and summer. The southern home would be my rental.
Old 03-27-2021, 04:39 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ncc1701 View Post
Hi All, Question for the snowbirds. Did you keep your house up North or did you sell it and come back North in the summer to something different?

I have no attachment to my house up North but my wife may not want to spend the full year down South. She wants to keep the house but I would rather sell it and instead get a Airbnb or stay in a place like Extended Stay America rather than hang onto the house. My feeling is this. Why deal with property taxes, insurance and maintenance when these options make it so easy to be so mobile these days? In addition, the extra income provided by investing the home sale proceeds would be really nice.

Am I missing something? Thanks for your thoughts.

Any family or friends you wish to stay close to back home?
PoorOldCountryBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 12:00 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
We have kept it because it is oceanfront with panoramic views of ocean, mountains and city center. But after 20 years and a new condo in the south, we have less commitment to it.

But inaction is the easiest path because of our furnishings. DW hates living on rental stuff. All the comforts of home means a lot to her.