Sensing resentment from working people, how to respond?

I completely agree but I don’t even want to get into that with them. I guess when I said ‘justify’ what I meant to say was I hate having to even ‘respond to their surprise and questions’ because it’s none of their business but I’m too polite to tell them that. Also as an earlier poster mentioned, their real goal, without coming out and saying it, is to find out what kind of assets you have.

We did sense some resentment. Not only to early retirement but also to our ability to travel frequently to far off destinations.

But really, we could care less about someone else's resentment. Their problem not ours. We are not about to disguise that we are retired. Certainly not ashamed of our good financial situation and hard work to get where we are.

We cannot change how others feel so we do not really give it a second's thought. Well I don't. DW used to somehow feel guilt about our financial position. But the guilt quickly disappears when she sees the spending habits and/or lack of ambition of some of her relatives.

So I say forget about what others think. Jealousy and resentment will always be there. Just get on with enjoying your life and your retirement as much as you possibly can. Why make excuses or try to find ways to disguise your situation?

I’m going to start using the ‘portfolio mgr’ reply because it’s true (my portfolio) and after 9 months people are now starting to figure out that I’m not working and have no plan to other than volunteer positions. Interesting enough I have no problem telling strangers who ask but I hate having to explain myself to friends or justify my decision to RE. I’ve started telling friends that my plan all along was to retire at 55, which is the truth except it was actually 54, and it also makes them shut up for a minute as they wonder why they didn’t do the same.

Played golf with a guy for the second time at a yearly tournament. Rode together in a cart. He was very vague and used the portfolio manager excuse. I'm too nosy so pulled out that he was retired (guessing late 50's). He had done very well. Had two homes, brand new mega RV. I told him "I'm so happy that I retired early". Everyone I've worked with wishes they were too.

That’s awesome. I played golf today with two newly retired friends/former coworkers. We’re all in the same boat thinking back to all the BS we had to go through to get here to ER. Yet we’re so happy for each other. No more conference call Mondays/Tuesdays, dimwitted coworkers with egos who have no clue, etc. etc. what a blast we had today. Even made a couple of Birdies! Bonus!

At the beginning of my ER back in late 2008, I had a few people ask me how I was able to retire so young (at 45). I gave as a quick answer a shortened version of my signature line blow. "Cashed out company stock, no kids, no debts." I have always been an outlier, so all this was for me was one more (big) way to be more of an outlier.

My answer to why I am retiring / have retired is: "Because work is/was getting in the way of my vacations". It's true, is usually taken humorously, and takes the sting out of the reality that I saved enough and can afford it.

My answer to why I am retiring / have retired is: "Because work is/was getting in the way of my vacations". It's true, is usually taken humorously, and takes the sting out of the reality that I saved enough and can afford it.

I like that answer.

Lately I have been telling family and close friends that I would like to retire in the next couple of years. There are always questions like....."What are you going to do about health insurance?" People have been told all their lives that they must work til they're 65 or 67.....then it's time to retire. Most don't get the RE mentality.

Last edited:
Someone asked me just last night if hating my job made me retire. I said "no, it was a fine job and I enjoyed doing it, but it was taking up all my time."

Why not ..."I had an eye problem......
couldn't see myself going to work anymore "!:D

"They won't let me in the building anymore...it was something I said."

"Wow, what did you say to provoke that?"

"I quit."

Or how about, "I had a heart problem...didn't have the heart to keep working."

"I had a knee problem - I didn't need to work"?

My concern is the opposite of resentment. My family sees our RE as more free time for us to do things for them. Pick up kids from school, walk their elderly dog, give them rides. Hey, you're not doing anything...can you do this? Thing is, I often do have the time to help them out and I do. One of the many benefits of family that lives close.

You can also get resentment from coworkers if you decide NOT to retire

“Why are you still working?”

“Because I want to”

“But you’re taking the spot from a person who NEEDS the job”

“Then they should demonstrate to the market they have the ability to displace me. Otherwise they don’t deserve the job.”

When you don’t need the money, “interviews” and “speaking your mind” come easy

Last edited:
Revisiting this thread because in addition to being a portfolio manager I’m now officially a wine tasting consultant. ��

I used to tell people I left work early but would go back if my company took back what they said about me. When they ask what the company said, I reply, they said I was fired.

Back to Vietnam, one of my good friends always wears his Vietnam veterans hat. When we're together and someone thanks him, he points at me and says thank him too. He (I) protested that stupid war. But no one has thanked me yet, lol.

I had a countdown to retirement clock on my laptop and when I would host meetings everyone would see the clock displayed by the projector. Don't know if anyone ever figured out, even when the days:hours:minutes hit 00:00:00.

"I had a heart attack and almost died." effectively ends the resentment issue.

Back
Top Bottom