Seven years of freedom

Dd852

Full time employment: Posting here.
I know there was a long thread earlier this year where a lot of people basically said they didn’t mark their retirement anniversaries and it really shouldn’t be a thing. (Paraphrasing) So I was going to restrain myself but in the end I couldn’t resist. My freedom day, the day I walked out of an office for the last time, was seven years ago and I couldn’t be happier. That day is in my calendar on a yearly repeat and to me it is deserving of mention and celebration.

I have to say the state of the world makes me very gloomy - I won’t go into detail. But personally I’ve never been better.

I find retirement very busy. The worry over boredom that I and others sometimes have just never materialized. Reading, travel, studying a new language, music, theatre, museums, hanging out. Afternoon naps! Cooking. Restaurants. Lots of time with DW, making up some for the long and constant work travel when I was in the accumulation phase.

Financially we draw down currently 3% of liquid assets, so plenty of cushion. 50% stock funds 5% reit 41% bond funds and the rest in cash.

I still find this forum a great community - thanks to all for the wisdom, lessons, experiences.

I’m now 59 and DW is 64. Our health is good. I know that’s not forever, so enjoying every single day I can.

Congratulations!
FWIW, I'm with you. I mark my "Freedom Day" every year -- the date is always in my mind.

Congratulations on your 7th year anniversary. I am glad you and your spouse and enjoying life and are in good health.

I reached my 6th year anniversary on my birthday in Mid May. My spouse and my health is good (much better since I retired) and we get along really well even though we are together almost constantly.

We have been traveling overseas a lot and spending part of the winter in Palm Springs for the last three years. In the summer and fall we bike, hike, backpack, mushroom hunt, take yoga classes, have bbqs and parties.

These are the best years of my life and I am very grateful.

Congrats OP!

My retirement anniversary is an epic date of each year. Just passed the 2 year mark and loving each day. I count each one as a true blessing, often several times a day.

Just celebrated 2 years. Intend to keep celebrating it each year.

We celebrate every year. My 5th anniversary was back in June and the 7th for DW.

We've been having a blast enjoying every single day.

my ladt day of work was 8/11/05...14-yrs ago on sunday. i don't commemorate or observe the day. i remember it only because it was the day after my 55th birthday. it's been a great run.

Congrats OP! I remember my retirement date occasionally (barely), but never on the anniversary. It's been 5 years for me in April. It's been a great 5 years.

Don't let the gloomy state of the world bother you. There is nothing that you can do about it. Just watch less news.

Just realized I missed my 4 yr mark on the 1st. OP, you are 100% on point. I’d hate to be calling on clients in today’s atmosphere. I feel so lucky to be me!!

Back
Top Bottom