Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-13-2018, 08:47 AM   #121
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalMcDougal View Post
I used to run the thermostat at 58 in winter and 80 in summer. Now I run 64 and 78.
I live in a winter climate and get enough cold when I have to go out so there's no way I'm compromising on comfort when indoors.

The house is normally at 20 or 21C (68- 70F) in winter and 23 - 24C (73 - 75F) in summer.
Music Lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2018, 09:05 AM   #122
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
My record was in shopping mall parking lot, and about 30 feet away I saw what looked like a $2 bill folded up. I changed direction and walked over to pick it up.
To my surprise it was a $50.00 bill.
No idea how long it has sat there or was blown along by the wind as people passed it by.
I had a stretch of a few months in 2008 when I was finding money everywhere, it seemed. I found several dollars on the sidewalk outside my apartment building. I found several dollars and an automated fare card on a PATH train (like a subway, for those of you unfamiliar). I saw an unused LIRR ticket being used as a bookmark in a book my dad had taken out of the library (it wasn't his). That ticket was worth about $8 toward my own future LIRR ticket purchase (I was still working at the time and used the LIRR frequently). Also on the LIRR, the conductor forgot to punch my ticket so I was able to use it again, saving me $9. That's about $30 in found money in a few months.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 09:07 AM   #123
Recycles dryer sheets

It will cost almost 1000 on propane per month to keep my house at 68 all the time. So each bedroom got its own electric heater to keep warm at night.
HillCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 09:37 AM   #124
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choices View Post
When it looks as though the toothpaste tube is empty, we snip off the bottom and get another 6 or so “ servings”. We also keep the downstairs at 65 and the upstairs bedrooms at 55. As we say, a buck is a buck...
We switched to this style of toothpaste

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UB775XC/

I store the container upside down (cap side down) and I can use up the entire contents of it without jumping through any hoops.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 09:39 AM   #125

Oh yeah, I always use up a bar of soap down to a sliver, then press that sliver into the next bar of soap.

You have to get the old sliver pretty small or it won't "stick" to the new bar.

It's an art form
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 01:52 PM   #126
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
Oh yeah, I always use up a bar of soap down to a sliver, then press that sliver into the next bar of soap.

You have to get the old sliver pretty small or it won't "stick" to the new bar.

It's an art form
After living frugally for all of our lives, me and the wife have recently decided that we can now throw the micro thin soap slivers away. Since we are retired and living below our our conservative withdrawal rate, we have decided is our new single nod to "extravagance."
Palmtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 02:24 PM   #127
Give me a forum ...

I switched to liquid soap long ago. Soap bars tend to melt and what I scrape away from the soap holder when cleaning the tub is more than what I use on my body. Less work when cleaning the bathroom too.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 02:47 PM   #128
Give me a forum ...

Soap? You people can afford SOAP!!

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 02:53 PM   #129
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Soap? You people can afford SOAP!!
Julian Assange, is that you?

Strange. I thought Nemo2 was a lot older, plus he was free to travel too.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/worl...icle-1.3753234

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 03:01 PM   #130
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Julian Assange, is that you?

Strange. I thought Nemo2 was a lot older, plus he was free to travel too.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/worl...icle-1.3753234
Yabbut...this way I don't have to worry about someone sitting next to me on a 'plane and contaminating me with flu bugs and other disease like ailments.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 03:48 PM   #131
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Yabbut...this way I don't have to worry about someone sitting next to me on a 'plane and contaminating me with flu bugs and other disease like ailments.
Flying to Ecuador soon, are we?
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 04:06 PM   #132
Full time employment: Posting here.

Location: An island off the coast of Florida. (Ok - if you really need to know it's Vero Beach)
Like many, I hate paying mechanics and repair men. Usually I take 2-3 times as long but save a bundle. Every once in awhile Murphy bites me.

This week I was replacing the motor in the clothes dryer and pulled the palm of my right hand across sharp edge sheet metal. A trip to the ER and four stitches made this silly frugality a clear Fail.

The PA said the stitches should be removed in 10 days by my primary care doc. Humph, a $50 visit. He whispered that maybe nail clippers would do the trick. Heck yes! Then he asked if I wanted the hemostats from the stitch kit for my tool chest - now we're talking! Even wrapped it in a towel that I can use as a shop rag.

Dilly Dilly.
atmsmshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 04:25 PM   #133

I must be the queen of leftovers. I don't really like to cook, so I force myself to make a big pot of something--soup, chili, stew, etc--on Sundays, portion it out, and eat it all week for dinner. This week it is red beans and rice. Yum! I live alone so I can eat left overs to my heart's content.
I try very hard not to waste food. The only thing that is hard not to waste at times is salad--greens often go back before I can use them. Otherwise I'm quite frugal with food.
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 04:41 PM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbo111 View Post
DW and I usually save straws when we dine out and us them at home. But worse still, we often wash the straws and reuse them. How's that for frugal?
I'm impressed!
MarieIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 04:58 PM   #135
Give me a forum ...

No leftovers for me. Leftovers = dog food.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 05:09 PM   #136
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
No leftovers for me. Leftovers = dog food.
Most of our leftovers come from a local Mexican restaurant. Besides being too delicious for the dogs, their systems don't seem to like peppers, onions. Ours do.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 06:23 AM   #137
Recycles dryer sheets

This morning my DH is using up a heel of bread that is almost too hard to cut, I offered up my chop saw. DH is making cheese toast in the micro, is proud that he does not need to pop the mess into the toaster first. Guess this is one reason we have been the millionaires next door for years.
Choices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 06:42 AM   #138
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marita40 View Post
I try very hard not to waste food. The only thing that is hard not to waste at times is salad--greens often go back before I can use them.
The greens can go in the soup.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 07:16 AM   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post

My silliest frugal action is probably reusing teabags - I saw my parents do this regularly. While I rarely do it these days, I still feel funny throwing out a tea bag after using it for just a small amount of tea.

This one I did see growing up.
MarieIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 07:22 AM   #140
Give me a forum ...

I find golf balls on the course when walking my dog in the mornings and run them through the ball washer. Most are good as new. Old one's and off brands I hit into the practice range. Can't remember the last time I purchased a golf ball. Am I frugal or what?