Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-29-2020, 02:43 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeNFO View Post
Yep, inside, with a new COVID-safe process. Like I said, get there early. At 9am, no wait for us. The guy inside who was helping us said that on Saturday, one family that arrived at 10:30 waited in line for rentals, and wasn't out the door until 1pm. Did I mention that you should get there early?
Nice. Does it matter when you get there?
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2021, 05:19 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Officially deferred my IKON pass to next year. We've had a great year at the small local hill though. Not that much real snow but we had a sustained below freezing stretch for great snow making. 49 days so far. Not done yet.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 08:49 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

been a great ski year at bogus, about to head up. Been getting in about 3 days of skiing a week.
Old 03-08-2021, 09:00 AM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I decided not to ski this year at all. Not yet vaccinated. DS got vaccinated in January.

He has a weekday Epic pass and has been going twice a week. He took an overnight trip to Jack Frost/Big Boulder last week. He made a new snowboarding friend through an online group. He usually left when it got crowded on Friday nights. He livestreams some of his snowboarding. Jack Frost in the Poconos was downright empty.
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 09:02 AM   #45

Ski resorts here are slammed, even now in March when's there's usually no one on the slopes...will be interesting to see if it carries over into next year.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 09:03 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
I decided not to ski this year at all. Not yet vaccinated. DS got vaccinated in January.

He has a weekday Epic pass and has been going twice a week. He took an overnight trip to Jack Frost/Big Boulder last week. He made a new snowboarding friend through an online group. He usually left when it got crowded on Friday nights. He livestreams some of his snowboarding. Jack Frost in the Poconos was downright empty.
I don't think folks are itching to head to a destination resort at this point, we're so lucky to have an awesome nonprofit ski hill 30 minutes away. We've had pretty decent crowds this year, but with covid protocols.

www.bogusbasin.org
Old 03-08-2021, 09:05 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post
Ski resorts here are slammed, even now in March when's there's usually no one on the slopes...will be interesting to see if it carries over into next year.
gotta recreate, even during a pandemic - golf and skiing are both great ways to do it

our golf club had over 100% more play than in 2019, night skiing at bogus is sold out about every night, forget weekend lift tickets...
Old 03-08-2021, 10:09 AM   #48

17 ski days so far at a local resort. I’ve given up on skiing weekends due to the crowds, even though I’m hoping this will change with warmer weather.

Slowly starting to think about next year. I’ll most likely get an Epic pass and hope things go back to normal.
Old 03-08-2021, 10:16 AM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

28 days at local resort, 16 days on the Ikon. A few road trips coming up to visit more Ikon resorts. Conditions have been good in the Sierras. Resorts busy, but not crowded, except for a few big weekends.
skibum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 10:26 AM   #50

Alas, none for me, second year in a row. Last year due to surgery, this year the pandemic. You can bet I'll be skiing my fool head off next winter!
Old 03-17-2021, 10:25 AM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Heading out on our third ski trip of 20/21 in 10 days. We have the Ikon pass and have skied in Utah and Colorado this season and will be at our "local" mountain Mammoth for our next trip. We have done road trips for all of our skiing this year and have been to 3 Utah resorts and 3 Colorado resorts and have felt safe even though we are not yet vaccinated. Most everyone has followed the rules and worn their mask where we have skied. The hard part is not being able to warm up indoors when it is really cold. We take our own food and water in a backpack and just stop and eat on the slopes, but we've had some cold days skiing where we would have liked to spend 20 minutes inside to warm up.
lajolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 11:03 AM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

DW and I went to Big Sky Montana to ski this year. We went for a week in early March. The weather was outstanding. The slopes were not crowded except for Thursday leading into spring break week.

Masks were required inside and when in lift lines. While ski'ing there was no one masked. The only lodges for food open were the ones at the bottom. The ones higher up were closed. I was confused by that because it would seem you would want to maximize space for social distancing.

We go somewhere every year. Not sure where we will go next year.
Old 04-10-2021, 04:56 PM   #53

Amazingly enough, the local ski resort is still open. They had snow a few days ago and I was tempted to go yesterday, but got busy with other commitments. Plus, mentally I feel the ski season is over.

I ended up going 18 times this season and skied about 90k vertical feet. This is a record for number of trips, but not vertical feet. It's hard to rack up vertical feet when the runs are short.

Either way, it ended up being a good ski season. I am looking forward to next year and hope that the Canadian border is open. I miss skiing in Whistler. But if that doesn't happen, then I will look at Utah/Colorado.

And good news: Epic pass prices have been reduced 20% for the 2021-22 ski season. If all goes well next year, I might try and spend 2-3 weeks up in Whistler or somewhere where the runs are longer.
Old 04-17-2021, 03:50 PM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

Seasons not over! We managed about 30 days riding the lifts this year and I did maybe another 30 skinning and backcountry.

Mostly we skied at our local mountain (Sugarbush) but also used our IKON pass for 3 or 4 days at Killington and in late February braved the masses and flew to Big Sky and skied Monday - Friday. It was strange but glad we went. Wore a double mask in both directions and quarantined and got tested upon return.

Got the VAX now so next week getting in the truck and heading to CO to ski at A-Basin and do some spring backcountry before heading down to the desert to ride my mountain bike. Camping for the most part.

Just passed my 3 year FIRE anniversary so couldn't be happier.

Next year Europe and Canada hopefully!
53anddone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 05:20 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53anddone View Post
Seasons not over! We managed about 30 days riding the lifts this year and I did maybe another 30 skinning and backcountry.

Mostly we skied at our local mountain (Sugarbush) but also used our IKON pass for 3 or 4 days at Killington and in late February braved the masses and flew to Big Sky and skied Monday - Friday. It was strange but glad we went. Wore a double mask in both directions and quarantined and got tested upon return.

Got the VAX now so next week getting in the truck and heading to CO to ski at A-Basin and do some spring backcountry before heading down to the desert to ride my mountain bike. Camping for the most part.

Just passed my 3 year FIRE anniversary so couldn't be happier.

Next year Europe and Canada hopefully!
Sounds like a lot of fun. How long is your drive to A-basin?
Old 04-17-2021, 05:25 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

April skiing can be good, but my experience is that the thaw/freeze cycle that happens a lot then makes for bad conditions. It's rock hard first thing in the morning, and by afternoon it's stick slush. You might have about a 2 hour window in between that's good skiing.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
trip
Old 04-18-2021, 04:06 AM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
Sounds like a lot of fun. How long is your drive to A-basin?
I do it in three days - a night at a buddies in the Rochester, NY area, a night at a Campground off of I80 in Iowa and then I arrive in Summit county where I have relatives. Max I will do is around 11 hours a day.

Since FIRE I have taken 4 trips across the US in my truck - prior to that it had been 30 years. Liberating.
53anddone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 05:41 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
April skiing can be good, but my experience is that the thaw/freeze cycle that happens a lot then makes for bad conditions. It's rock hard first thing in the morning, and by afternoon it's stick slush. You might have about a 2 hour window in between that's good skiing.
In my experience that's only true for Eastern skiing. Western conditions are much drier and better. I've skied in Colorado at A-Basin in early June and it was pretty good.
Old 04-18-2021, 06:52 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53anddone View Post
I do it in three days - a night at a buddies in the Rochester, NY area, a night at a Campground off of I80 in Iowa and then I arrive in Summit county where I have relatives. Max I will do is around 11 hours a day.

Since FIRE I have taken 4 trips across the US in my truck - prior to that it had been 30 years. Liberating.
That's pretty interesting. I have enjoyed some long car trips over past year.

Relatives in Summit County-nice.
Old 04-18-2021, 08:55 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Not sure how many times I went up the hill but it was about 3 days a week from December through March - maybe 35 ski days, all during the week?

Got a FULL pass for next season for $450, which includes week day passes at other hills around the NW and in CO - Loveland is one.