Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-16-2008, 02:54 PM   #21
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by free4now View Post
I grew up in a midwestern town known for it's beautiful mature trees. Dutch Elm disease wiped out nearly all the trees in my neighborhood. As a kid it was fun to watch it unfold... every few weeks the city arborists would come in and take down a new tree, providing hours of entertainment. These were big mature trees with trunks at least several feet in diameter. They would dig out the roots down to a foot or so below the ground, which created a little hole in the grass for us kids to play in like sandboxes. The replacement trees tended to be just the right size for tree climbing. Now when I go back to visit I see that all the trees are mature and beautiful.

It is sad, but life goes on.
Chestnuts
Elm
Ash
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2008, 03:01 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

The pine beetles went through this area in East TN, about 10 years ago, I believe.
We have owned property here for six years. In this area they seemed to kill every tree in some areas, but then in the same neighborhood, nearby, no effect. It was pretty ugly for 3-5 years, but now you really have to look for the evidence. I believe we have a more varied flora here than in Colorado, so something else fills the gaps in a hurry. It is my understanding that this is a repeating cycle--like every 30 years or so.
mike hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 04:22 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Well don't think about coming east................... 200-300 year old Hemlocks have been dying throughout Pennsylvania, Virginia and I'm not sure where else thanks to the imported Wooly Adelgid. I'd guess that 75% of the Hemlocks are dead or dying in the Wissahickon area of Philadelphia. There are some younger trees but you just have the feeling that they'll never survive.

It's very sad to see but you can only hope that new, long-lived trees, come up in their place. Nature does have a way of wanting to survive. Just ask the weeds in our garden.................
metabasalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 04:28 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yes, it's best to stay away from Colorado. Who knows if this beetle disease is contagious to humans? Also, stay away from Boulder in particular because the Walnut trees all have "thousand canker disease" and you must know that canker sores are really awful! Anyway, 400 walnut trees must be removed by Sept 15 this year when Boulder will be totally nude of beautiful trees.

So inevitably Colorado will be really ugly, probably by the end of the year, totally barren of all tree life. Stay away. Stay far away!!!!
Zoocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 08:25 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Gee, that's too bad about Boulder, Oldbabe. We spent a lovely day there and have always enjoyed it...

Especially the friendly, welcoming residents...
BarbaraAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 08:26 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraAnne View Post
Gee, that's too bad about Boulder, Oldbabe. We spent a lovely day there and have always enjoyed it...

Ya best off ignoring the ornery ones
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 07:24 AM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

W The lodge pole pines which dominate the landscape along I-70 from Denver into Summit County are red/orange and literally dying from a beetle infestation. It's the result of drought and warmer than normal winters. There is no solution and it is really tragic. Everywhere you look vast quantities of beautiful pines are dying. This is not in a small area, it's absolutely everywhere. We were truly depressed.

When visiting my nephew in Vail, he pointed out the problem to me. And this was over 5 years ago. Not sure when the problem started. Nature has a way of handling things and forest do come back, but we may be dead before you see it.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:43 AM   #28

If you're looking at living in Summit county and some dying trees are making you reconsider, perhaps you were missing the point entirely?

Just got back from a quick weekend there and I get sad whenever I have to leave.

PS: I wouldn't put it past the natives to spray paint a couple thousand acres of trees in hopes of keeping the Texans and Californians out.
saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 08:58 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

And what about the beetles? They're sort of cute, with their little yellow spots. Isn't anybody on their side? They've got to live too, ya know. Borers, beetles, caterpillars, they're all part of God's plan too.

Now the ticks and skeeters, I could do without.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:10 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9 View Post
If you're looking at living in Summit county and some dying trees are making you reconsider, perhaps you were missing the point entirely?

Just got back from a quick weekend there and I get sad whenever I have to leave.

PS: I wouldn't put it past the natives to spray paint a couple thousand acres of trees in hopes of keeping the Texans and Californians out.
Yeah, I guess I was just making it up.

Beetle-kill rate in Colorado "catastrophic" - The Denver Post
BarbaraAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 09:19 AM   #31
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Don't believe everything you read in the press...and don't put anything past those sneaky Coloradans...or is it Coloradoans?
Old 08-18-2008, 10:52 AM   #32
gone traveling

Quote:

Ah, yes, the Peoples Republic of Boulder...
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 11:58 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Not too many lodge pole pines along the Front Range....

Wait - did I say that? No - really all our trees are disappearing. Texas is a better place for retiring. :-)

This reminds me of a letter to the editor here a few years back. A newcomer (from "back-east") was complaining that people had cut down too many trees - as all along the front range was not like the forested land "back-east". Scoff - all the front range trees (except for the cottonwoods) were planted by humans.

(I'm from "back-east" myself - but really there is a reason that this is now called the Great Plains (and once was called the Great American Desert).)
NotReady4Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 12:08 PM   #34
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotReady4Purple View Post
A newcomer (from "back-east") was complaining that people had cut down too many trees - as all along the front range was not like the forested land "back-east".
Much like the recurring tourist question regarding the location of the Alamo: "Why did they build it downtown?"

Quote:
Texas is a better place for retiring. :-)
This certainly diminishes your credibility in these parts...
Old 08-18-2008, 12:17 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Much like the recurring tourist question regarding the location of the Alamo: "Why did they build it downtown?"
Then there was the couple from Texas who were just amazed during a visit to Rome that "all these little-bitty kids can speak Italian."

Hey, somebody has to keep it from dying.

Ha
Old 08-18-2008, 12:34 PM   #36
gone traveling

Quote:
Not too many lodge pole pines along the Front Range....

Wait - did I say that? No - really all our trees are disappearing. Texas is a better place for retiring. :-)

This reminds me of a letter to the editor here a few years back. A newcomer (from "back-east") was complaining that people had cut down too many trees - as all along the front range was not like the forested land "back-east". Scoff - all the front range trees (except for the cottonwoods) were planted by humans.

(I'm from "back-east" myself - but really there is a reason that this is now called the Great Plains (and once was called the Great American Desert).)
Kinda reminds me of the folks who retire to Arizona, and then paint their gravel yards bright green...
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote