Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-29-2021, 08:21 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Apple watches are for those that can’t separate from being plugged in. Buy/Wear a nice non-device watch if you can afford it, appreciate it for yourself to recognize your hard work and nest egg. It’s the best piece a jewelry for a man. But, buy/wear it for your enjoyment and not anybody else’s reaction.
WhenIsItTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2021, 08:31 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I don't have anything against Apple watches but it would be insane to buy a high-dollar one only to see it become obsolete in 6 or 7 years. That seems to be about how long iPhones last before current apps won't run on them any more. I recall some of the early adopters of high-end iWatches complained mightily about that issue.

If you are going for a high-end watch keep it simple - can't go wrong with a Swiss mechanical timepiece, except for the price.

"All models are wrong, some are useful." - George Box
There is always a well-known solution to every human problem: neat, plausible, and wrong.” - H.L. Mencken
USGrant1962 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 09:12 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Bought my last at Wally world for $14. Love it! Time/date takes up most of the face which helps with my eyesight. Last Casio I bought had all this junk on the face and the time/date was so small I could hardly read.
Lawrencewendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 09:24 PM   #24

I think you buy a high end watch because you are really into watches and appreciate the craftsmanship and history of the watch and the company that makes it. Obviously a $10,000 watch is not going to be any more accurate in keeping time than a very basic watch. And with our cell phones always having the correct time nobody needs a watch to tell the time anymore. It’s a piece of jewelry. So just as you might appreciate wearing a $10K gold and diamond ring, you might appreciate a high end watch in the same fashion.

If you enjoy technology, which I do, then the Apple Watch is for you. It will be obsolete in a few years but a basic one only cost a few hundred dollars and they are fun to have. The things you can do with an Apple Watch are the kind of things we saw in the James Bond movies in the 70’s. Except that was fiction. This is for real.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 09:47 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

I have too much $$$ on watches so I’d support you OP. The thing is with Covid just like a lot of things prices for some desirable watches have gone through the roof. Any stainless steel sport model from Rolex, PP and AP are multiple of their MSRP. For example, a white dial Rolex Daytona is now asking around $35-36k if you can find any. Official MSRP in the teens. If you go to any Rolex AD you’ll find mainly two tone, gold or undesirable models in stock. You can’t get a stainless steel sport model Rolex from a Rolex AD unless you’re a regular and on their “wait list” or you buy a bunch of expensive watches at the same time. Rolex, PP and AP shortage has been going on for at least 2 years but it’s been getting a lot worse since the beginning of this year. I bought my Rolex BLNR for about $8,500 5 years ago and I can easily sell it for $13-14k today. Hence the investment part of it. I don’t subscribe to buying a watch as an investment tho. It’s more like a byproduct if you flip your watch a lot. Get what you like and can afford.

First you need to decide if you want a dress watch, dive watch, chrono, pilot first. Then decide the size that fits your wrist the best. Then decide on the material (stainless steel, two tone, gold, ceramic, black pvd, etc). Then choose the brand and model that fit what you like within your budget. Do some research on app like watchrecon or Chrono24.

Right now, the brands that are actually available at AD and jewelers are Breitling, IWC, Omega and to some extent some Tudor models. If you’re into big watches, Panerai is available.

Good luck and enjoy the hunt.
EA-Sports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 09:59 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm wearing a Citizen's EcoDrive watch that I got as a freebie for going on a Norwegian Cruise. It has some kind of crystal that doesn't scratch, and it looks like new.

It has no batteries, and I honestly have no idea how the thing runs year after year. Never loses a second either.

I can find more enjoyable purchases than a fancy watch.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 11:09 PM   #27

Go for it, but be prudent in what you spend.

I'm on my second Rolex Submariner (both stainless/black) since 1985. Traded the old one a few years back and the new models are much better. Still have the late wife's Lady Datejust from 1985. That one and my newer Sub are going to the kids when they graduate college in 2 and 6 years. They will be overhauled/refreshed before handing over.

A quality mechanical watch is a nice heirloom.
Old 04-29-2021, 11:34 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

I have purchased jewelry from a very reputable used-jewelry seller who specializes in fabulous used watches (totally reconditioned, of course). The selection would make your brain spin. Naturally the prices are well below retail.

I use my phone instead of a watch. But I can PM you a link to the reseller, if you like.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 11:58 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawgMan View Post
some of these watches are $25K - $35K I am looking at. It sure feels expensive and my frugal gene is telling me "what a ridiculous purchase", yet I know this would have no affect on retirement success as I look for certain ways to BTD.
I'll probably never be in a position to "blow that dough", so I can't even imagine spending that kind of money on a watch. Most people I know don't even wear watches anymore, they just use their cell phones. Since I rarely carry my cell phone with me, that's not really an option.

I'm a digital watch guy. A few decades ago I could buy good quality digital watches with real metal bands and whatnot. Ironically, it's almost impossible to find a well made quality digital watch these days (i.e. from a jewelry store). That said, I tend to be hard on watches. They get banged up working on the cars or doing home improvement projects. They get submerged in water and mud when hiking or swimming. So I don't really want to spend a lot of money on them.

I have no interest in a "smart watch". I just want to know the time, date, and day of the week. I had a cheap Timex watch that served me OK, but the display is hard to see and the tiny date is impossible to read. I'm currently using a Casio watch that cost me $15-20 and am quite happy with it. I wish it had a better band, but I keep the Timex watch around when I know I'll be abusing it.
mountainsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 04:38 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA-Sports View Post
I have too much $$$ on watches so I’d support you OP. The thing is with Covid just like a lot of things prices for some desirable watches have gone through the roof. Any stainless steel sport model from Rolex, PP and AP are multiple of their MSRP. For example, a white dial Rolex Daytona is now asking around $35-36k if you can find any. Official MSRP in the teens. If you go to any Rolex AD you’ll find mainly two tone, gold or undesirable models in stock. You can’t get a stainless steel sport model Rolex from a Rolex AD unless you’re a regular and on their “wait list” or you buy a bunch of expensive watches at the same time. Rolex, PP and AP shortage has been going on for at least 2 years but it’s been getting a lot worse since the beginning of this year. I bought my Rolex BLNR for about $8,500 5 years ago and I can easily sell it for $13-14k today. Hence the investment part of it. I don’t subscribe to buying a watch as an investment tho. It’s more like a byproduct if you flip your watch a lot. Get what you like and can afford.

First you need to decide if you want a dress watch, dive watch, chrono, pilot first. Then decide the size that fits your wrist the best. Then decide on the material (stainless steel, two tone, gold, ceramic, black pvd, etc). Then choose the brand and model that fit what you like within your budget. Do some research on app like watchrecon or Chrono24.

Right now, the brands that are actually available at AD and jewelers are Breitling, IWC, Omega and to some extent some Tudor models. If you’re into big watches, Panerai is available.

Good luck and enjoy the hunt.
See, it only took 25 comments to finds a "watch-head"! I'm only kicking tires right now and will do my homework before I consider dropping the dough. Right now, I am digging the rose gold finish with a leather band, thinking a more classical look that can dress up/down. SIL's research has me looking so far at A. Lange & Söhne, Glashutte, Vacheron Constantin, IWC, Jaeger-leCoultre, Blancpain, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, F.P. Journe... I don't think I'm a Rolex guy, looking for something different. I am not a bling guy either, but can appreciate the craftsmanship/engineering that goes into some of these watches I have admired from afar. As you said, any investment is just a lucky bi-product, not the driver. This by no means is about "telling time" or justifying how many days per week I will wear it, but really seeing if I can get over the frugal mentality to BTD. And yes, at a min, whatever watch I do decide to pursue, I will shop the heck out of to at least appease myself "I got the best deal!". I need to spend some time looking at watches at lower price points to further appreciate the differences. My original thought was I could find one I liked for around $10K until I saw some of the beauties noted above.

I'm a sucker for a good looking woman!
DawgMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 05:51 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

I have both a Rolex and an Apple Watch. The Rolex was about $7,500 eight or nine years ago. The Apple Watch is stainless steel and I wear it more as an emergency device with the capability to detect a fall and automatically call 911.
I was wearing the Rolex once on a trip to Niagara Falls, and a guy in a ticket booth for the Maid if the Mist said “nice watch” as I was paying him. It kind of sent a chill through me that he so easy recognized the watch. I think twice about where I’m going before I put it on now.
Dash man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 05:52 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
If I had 10X my current assets, I would get a vintage Patek Phillipe Calatrava. But since I don't, I'll stick with my Timex Expedition that I got for $7 at Goodwill.........
Gumby, to be watch-head you have to own several watches and pay full retail!. As an example, I own 3 Timex Expeditions. All were purchased at full price. In fact, price was never a factor in my decision. Its all about the watch. I guess we could call your watch a "starter" collection.

DawgMan, you are brave. I have always thought of the forum members as "A buy the timex invest the difference kind of crowd". Enjoy your new watch!
flintnational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 06:07 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Haven't worn a watch in retirement, but go for it.
Old 04-30-2021, 06:23 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I do not much need a watch for purposes of my daily schedule, but I do find it quite helpful when I water my plants or cook things on the grill.
I use my fitbit watch for most of this. I don't take my phone along on walks or runs, or around with me when I'm gardening, but I do often look at my fitbit for time.

While I know a lot less of us use watches these days - and that's not just the ER crowd - I think you could inject any "expensive not necessary but I really want one and I can afford it" into the OP's question.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 06:40 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

I had 3 Rolexes when I was w@*king. When I retired I still wanted to keep them as I really did like and enjoy them. After 2 years of retirement I found that I NEVER wear a watch anymore, let alone 3. So I gave in and Sold all three. BTW, I made (a little) money on each one. I was in withdrawal for about a week or so, I missed looking at them in their Auto winder. So, I sold the Auto Winder too, and it has all worn off now, I do not even think about them anymore.
Old 04-30-2021, 07:10 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

My $80 Casio recharges itself with sunlight, uses the Atomic clock to set the time automatically and never needs maintenance. A Rolex can't do any of that...
Ncc1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 07:12 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

I thought you had to own enough watches - and enough of them the kind that need winding - that you also own a watchwinder.

Kind of like people who buy costly, glass-fronted, handcrafted wood display boxes for the expensive fountain pens they do not, or rarely use.

https://www.buywatchwinders.com/heid...her-p-968.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by flintnational View Post
Gumby, to be watch-head you have to own several watches and pay full retail!. !
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 07:35 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
I use my fitbit watch for most of this. I don't take my phone along on walks or runs, or around with me when I'm gardening, but I do often look at my fitbit for time.

This is what I do. I went from a Fitbit Versa to a Charge 4 specifically for its built-in GPS. The Versa required tethering to a phone.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 07:47 AM   #39

Go for it! You've successfully made your case to me!

1) You can afford it
2) It will bring you a lot of pleasure as a collector and appreciator (you've said you are a "watch-head."
3) You have at least one family member enjoying the fun of shopping together with you. And the watch sellers will probably make it a fun buying experience.
4) And you have it firmly collected in your head in the proper place - Blow that Dough. That is, you know what you are doing.

Watches aren't my thing, but you seem the ideal person to make such a purchase!
Old 04-30-2021, 07:54 AM   #40
gone traveling

I like watches too...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Breitling.jpg (106.7 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg Omega.jpg (86.8 KB, 51 views)
Tiger8693 is offline   Reply With Quote