Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-10-2019, 05:31 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Wow thanks for all the advice. I will get a trainer. Since many of you are at least as frugal as I am, if you think its worth the money, it probably is. I discussed this with my brother and he laughed at my concern about building visible muscles. He said I was too old for that. I'd have smacked him, but we were on the phone. Also since he's my OLDER brother he doesn't have many opportunities to tease me about my age! Will be at the gym tomorrow morning right after I drop DS off at high school. Will Let y'all know how it goes. Thanks again for sharing your knowledge!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2019, 07:15 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
A trainer can be very helpful for a beginner, but there are no real secrets to working out. A few basic exercises done correctly with the proper weight and the right amount of rest will work for every single person unless they have physical limitations.

True, but I’ve been working out for 50 years and I still get helpful tips from trainers that improve my workouts.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 07:23 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
True, but I’ve been working out for 50 years and I still get helpful tips from trainers that improve my workouts.
+1
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 07:25 PM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Thirty-five years ago I was going for the burn with Jane Fonda videotapes.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:35 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis Clark View Post
Might be worth meeting with one of the trainers at the gym to get an orientation and recommendation for a workout plan.
Definitely. This!

It's too hard to screw up with the machines. You need someone to walk you through them and to help you establish an appropriate starting weight for each machine.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:00 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

The two times I used trainers (two different trainers, fifteen years apart), each asked me about what I wanted to accomplish before we got started with a program (I wanted strength, flexibility, and balance). That really made me think about what I was doing there.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:27 PM   #47

As an introvert, especially one who isn't supremely body-confident, a trainer can be a hurdle. I know, rationally, I am the client and this is a business relationship, but for someone who is shy it can be a challenge, especially since it's a new environment, in which one naturally feels a little more vulnerable to start.

OP doesn't sound like you are so much so that's great. The things I would look for are making sure they are listening to you, and that they are focusing on form and movement vs. "oh you should use more weight for that".
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 08:56 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

I go to a fairly nice gym because it's a free perk at my place of employment. The last year or so, I've been thinking about whether I really want to *pay* for a gym membership after retirement. I decided the answer was, "no," so I started to look for gym classes that don't use a lot of expensive equipment. Rather, I've been focusing on classes that rely mostly on your own body weight for exercise.

The best classes for 'body weight' exercise are: Pilates (mat style), Yoga (many different styles), and "Core" workout classes. If you go to those classes for a year, you can usually remember your own routine and you can quit the gym membership. You might want to buy yourself a good jump rope too. Ever since I started jumping rope, I've had tons of energy for other things (jogging, dancing, etc.)
slowsaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 08:57 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsaver View Post
I go to a fairly nice gym because it's a free perk at my place of employment. The last year or so, I've been thinking about whether I really want to *pay* for a gym membership after retirement. I decided the answer was, "no," so I started to look for gym classes that don't use a lot of expensive equipment. Rather, I've been focusing on classes that rely mostly on your own body weight for exercise.

The best classes for 'body weight' exercise are: Pilates (mat style), Yoga (many different styles), and "Core" workout classes. If you go to those classes for a year, you can usually remember your own routine and you can quit the gym membership. You might want to buy yourself a good jump rope too. Ever since I started jumping rope, I've had tons of energy for other things (jogging, dancing, etc.)
+1

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:17 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

+1 on the trainer. I've been going to the same gym for a number of years. Initially a trainer set me up with a routine geared to my goals, and as anything, the routine became that and boring. Progress slowed, forward a number of months and I got a second trainer, only for a few sessions, new routine, fresh start, more progress. Wash rinse repeat. I'm not a gym rat, I get in two to three sessions a week, more regular now that I'm retired. Goal is to stay active.

It's a journey, not a destination.
MOSAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:27 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Just please don't be this person.
MOSAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 07:17 AM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

Get a trainer who is willing to teach you to teach yourself
Beer-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:47 AM   #53

I did it- The scariest part was walking in there. I have a gym phobia, I have no idea why- maybe its the modesty thing. I feel like most workout clothes are one step above underwear, and while I probably don't look terrible, I'm very self conscious about it. Also a TOTALLY foreign environment. The two guys working at the gym- a former marine and another guy, were astounded that I'd never used any of the machines before. After I did some cardio- they decided (LOL- somebody needed to) that I would do legs today, so we did. It was kind of fun. Yoga Monday night, back at the gym on Tuesday. More cardio and we're doing arms. I think. I learned lots of interesting things- I did get tired of asking dumb questions. Anybody know what my target heart rate should be when doing cardio?
Old 01-11-2019, 10:00 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugeauxgirl View Post
I did it- The scariest part was walking in there. I have a gym phobia, I have no idea why- maybe its the modesty thing. I feel like most workout clothes are one step above underwear, and while I probably don't look terrible, I'm very self conscious about it. Also a TOTALLY foreign environment. The two guys working at the gym- a former marine and another guy, were astounded that I'd never used any of the machines before. After I did some cardio- they decided (LOL- somebody needed to) that I would do legs today, so we did. It was kind of fun. Yoga Monday night, back at the gym on Tuesday. More cardio and we're doing arms. I think. I learned lots of interesting things- I did get tired of asking dumb questions. Anybody know what my target heart rate should be when doing cardio?
That depends on your age. And just starting out you probably don’t want to push it too hard. Maybe 55% of max for your age and not to go above 85%. You definitely don’t want to get out of breath.
Quote:
Understanding your Target Heart Rate

It is recommended that you exercise within 55 to 85 percent of your maximum heart rate for at least 20 to 30 minutes to get the best results from aerobic exercise. The MHR (roughly calculated as 220 minus your age) is the upper limit of what your cardiovascular system can handle during physical activity.
https://www.active.com/fitness/calculators/heartrate

These targets can be refined as you gain fitness.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:17 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

I used to be self-conscious when I started working out, but comfort quickly won out.

It is astounding how little anyone looks at anyone else in a gym, and I've used quite a few. Everyone is trying to get through their routine and get out.

I'm 62, and I wear running shorts and a supportive sports bra to the gym. Nobody even looks at me, unless I happen to be on a machine they want to use. One time, I used a hotel gym where the rule was you had to cover your midriff. Most places, nobody cares. Oh, yeah, there are sanitary wipes to clean off the machine when you are done. And I put my towel on every machine seat before using.

I know there are some "meat market" gyms, but I think you'd sense that the moment you walked in.

Quote:
I did it- The scariest part was walking in there. I have a gym phobia, I have no idea why- maybe its the modesty thing. I feel like most workout clothes are one step above underwear, and while I probably don't look terrible, I'm very self conscious about it.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
So I joined a Gym and need advice...
Old 01-11-2019, 10:31 AM   #56
Moderator Emeritus

So I joined a Gym and need advice...

Quote:

I’ve read that 220 minus age is maximum heart rate. Then multiply maximum heart times anywhere from .75 to .85 to get target heart rate. For me, .75 is 117 heart rate. 85 is 133 heart rate. Big difference. I have a tough time maintaining around 130 for a period of time.

Congrats on getting to the gym. Don’t be self conscious about your looks/ clothing in the gym. People are there to work out and generally aren’t concerned about how others look.

But as an aside - I used to work out at a gym 20-30 years ago. There was an attractive 20 something girl newbie who came in, warmed up, and then changed workout outfits mid workout. That caught the attention of some patrons. Then she ripped off about 20 pull-ups, and went through an extreme workout. Nobody paid attention to her after that.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 10:31 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsaver View Post

We searched once I retired for a reasonable place to work out. Have had memberships for 30 years. Found Crunch at $99 per year each so putting a pencil to it our cost per visit is a like a quarter. Love it.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:32 AM   #58

An added benefit of going to a gym regularly is that you may find some new people to socialize with. This seems especially true if you go in the morning when there tends to be many retired and SAHM/SAHD types who aren't always rushing to get to work or get home. Sometimes I spend as much time jawing as I do on weights or cardio. (I'm still working, but fortunately have flexible hours.)
O2Bfree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 10:51 AM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

Quit the gym and get p90x. You can get it cheap from ebay or craigslist. It does cardio, yoga and weight training. I have been working out off and on for over 30 years and p90x has me in the best shape. Not much equipment needed and you can do it from home.
hopefullyoneday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 07:12 PM   #60

I think this guy is fairly smart - https://startingstrength.com - he advocates three main lifting exercises: squat, deadlift and bench press. %X% sets with increasing weight. Women should be lifting heavy weights, too, especially to help with bone loss prevention. I would get a trainer to teach you the exercises and then 3x weekly do the workout.

I would also augment with some HIIT - I do a spin class for 30 min 3x weekly.