Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-13-2019, 06:06 PM   #81
Recycles dryer sheets

Ig...girl, all good advice... You probably would benefit from a program tailored specially to meet your goals. The training staff can help you develop a plan.
GR111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2019, 07:03 PM   #82
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I chuckle when this subject is discussed. People will talk about all sorts of routines that work for them. If we go back to the OP, we need to remember that the statement was they weren’t a gym person in the past. So, I think the first goal is to commit to a time of day and a number of days in the week to start that is attainable. For all of us that have commented on this we see a huge number of people sign up for a membership only to see it not used after February. Intentions are great but the goal is to use it, see or feel a benefit and then continue this as long as possible. So, in a nutshell please do something that you like. Try different things, mix it up and make a commitment that will pay dividends
Old 01-13-2019, 09:01 PM   #83
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bir48die View Post
I chuckle when this subject is discussed. People will talk about all sorts of routines that work for them. If we go back to the OP, we need to remember that the statement was they weren’t a gym person in the past. So, I think the first goal is to commit to a time of day and a number of days in the week to start that is attainable. For all of us that have commented on this we see a huge number of people sign up for a membership only to see it not used after February. Intentions are great but the goal is to use it, see or feel a benefit and then continue this as long as possible. So, in a nutshell please do something that you like. Try different things, mix it up and make a commitment that will pay dividends
+1000

Folks who come back every time are the ones who do best. I see all kinds of people with different abilities and the ones who come back all the time get the rewards, regardless of their routine. Folks who don't come back get to claim it doesn't work.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 09:15 PM   #84
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
So, I think the first goal is to commit to a time of day and a number of days in the week to start that is attainable.

Exactly. I think that the toughest part for folks is making the firm time commitment.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 10:28 PM   #85
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I chuckle when this subject is discussed. People will talk about all sorts of routines that work for them. If we go back to the OP, we need to remember that the statement was they weren’t a gym person in the past.
Guilty as charged But...no one here is suggesting off the wall workouts. We're mostly repeating well known accepted knowledge.

Quote:
So, I think the first goal is to commit to a time of day and a number of days in the week to start that is attainable. For all of us that have commented on this we see a huge number of people sign up for a membership only to see it not used after February. Intentions are great but the goal is to use it, see or feel a benefit and then continue this as long as possible. So, in a nutshell please do something that you like. Try different things, mix it up and make a commitment that will pay dividends
Finding something you like may be the most important choice that some people can make. No program works if you're not doing it. Luckily, almost anything works with beginners so as long as you are moving some weight with good form and putting in a reasonable effort you will get fitter and stronger.

My girlfriend doesn't like most of the basic weight training movements but she doesn't mind walking and carrying dumbbells. So her entire "lifting" workout is to go up and down the stairs a couple dozen times (taking breaks of course) with a pair of dumbbells.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
more reps, less weight
Old 01-15-2019, 04:18 PM   #86
Confused about dryer sheets

more reps, less weight

Shoes sound fine! I use standard running shoes for elliptical, bike and anything cardio related. As to weight-training, I've learned more reps, less weight is best for avoiding injury plus achieves the goals you describe; typically 3 sets on a machine, beginning with more reps/less weight, then less reps and increasing weight. If there is a rowing machine, then you've found the one machine that works most of the upper body and will give you the most bang for you buck! I use a dorsi-flexer which is a seated version of a rowing machine (with resistance). I'd stick to 5 machines or so that work different muscle groups and don't worry about doing everything. Good luck!
judgejkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 04:37 PM   #87

I have a home gym. Because I live in a rural area and I always worked full time and commuted- plus had a child in school/day care- I found it best to exercise at home early in the morning before everyone woke up and before work. Afterwards, showered and got dressed for work. Once I was out the door at least I had gotten it out of the way for the day. I did not want to deal with it after I was tired after work, where I drove a lot and was in and out of the car a lot. Plus, I am a morning person anyway. Too many things can distract you after work and get you off track. And nice to not have to pack stuff and drive to a gym. I don't like exercising but I do feel good afterwards. Been doing this for over 20 years.

I have a Gazelle, a Schwinn Indoor fan bike and a weight bench to do my isometric exercises. I use 3 lb hand weights. Different muscle groups each day. I follow a book I have had for years. I have a floor mat and a head stand bench and I also do some yoga. I also walk just under 2 miles outdoors to get fresh air and take in the scenery.

We had a treadmill but it took up too much room and was too heavy to bring upstairs where my home gym area is, so we got rid of it.

In most gyms at resorts I go to I like using the elliptical and treadmills. Nice if they have a decent pool also.

I buy my sneakers at Walmart. I don't worry what kind of sneaker they are. The main thing is if they are comfortable with a lot of cushioning. Right now I have Avia's with memory foam.

I think most shoes and sneakers (and hand bags for that matter) that cost a lot are a scam.
meleana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 05:04 PM   #88
Confused about dryer sheets

I think most shoes are fine, joggers, trainers etc if you are using cardio machines and weights, it is fine. If you were serious about performance then maybe specialty shoes would be worth it. I start weightlifting for exercise, not to get big 5 years ago and find it more fun than monotonous cardio so I do some of both. My experience with weightlifting is it make me feel better all over even if I am sore once in a while. I also think free weights are better than machines so if you can learn exercises with free weights you'll be better off in the long run. As far as heart rate monitors. I had the originally Apple watch which was good but upgraded to the fourth version about 4 months ago and it is fantastic for heart rate a during cardio and even getting better at heart rate during weight lifting. Best of luck, I am glad i made time to exercise years ago and shudder to think of how poor my health would be had I not.
VMKV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 05:39 PM   #89
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserat View Post
I think this guy is fairly smart - https://startingstrength.com - he advocates three main lifting exercises: squat, deadlift and bench press. %X% sets with increasing weight. Women should be lifting heavy weights, too, especially to help with bone loss prevention. I would get a trainer to teach you the exercises and then 3x weekly do the workout.

I would also augment with some HIIT - I do a spin class for 30 min 3x weekly.
Yes!! I'm 60. I've been doing the Starting Strength program, with a trainer, for less than a year--and I love it so much I'm competing in a POWERLIFTING MEET in March!!! And I'm no bodybuilder--not skinny, not athletic--but it feels *so* good to be able to do stuff I never dreamed I could do! I'm squatting 100 lbs (with artificial knees!), bench pressing 65, and deadlifting over 150!
SoReadyToRetire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 06:09 PM   #90

SoReadyToRetire, Congratulations and good luck at the competition!

Wondering if the OP didn't survive the gym.
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 07:27 PM   #91
Full time employment: Posting here.

American Heart Association recommend the following:
a minimum of 150 minutes of moderate exercises a week or
a minimum of 75 minutes of vigorous exercise a week.
Your Maximum Heart Rate is 220 - your age. For age 50, MHR=170
Vigorous exercise is 70% to 80% of your MHR
Moderate exercise is 50% to 70% of your MHR
I suggest you start at 50% of your MHR and then work yourself up.
Take 10 minutes to warm up, exercise, and 5 minutes to cool down. Hydrate.
I am age 67 and I am doing 70% of my MHR for about 200 minutes a week.
2177V is offline   Reply With Quote
A Book for the OP ( and others)
Old 01-15-2019, 09:02 PM   #92
Dryer sheet aficionado

A Book for the OP ( and others)

I recommend reading The First Twenty Minutes by Gretchen Reynolds. She writes, or wrote (retired now?), about fitness for The NY Times, and published this book in 2012. It is a compilation of many of the studies she encountered in writing for her job. She is an older, recreational athlete and has sound advice on wide ranging topics, advice rooted in the science of those studies on health, fitness and athletic performance. I bought the book several years ago and am re-reading it as I start to increase my time devoted to exercise in retirement. It is appropriate, I think, for anyone, from those who “just want to move a bit to stay healthy,” to the recreational athlete to the serious athlete. She majored in journalism, writes well and it is a pleasurable read.

The title of the book comes from research that most of the health gains from exercise come from exercising 20 minutes a day. As she writes in the book: “Almost all of the mortality reductions are due to the first twenty minutes of exercise,” says Frank Booth, Ph.D., professor of biomedical sciences at the University of Missouri. That’s just a taste of what’s in the book. Anyway, I thought it was a good read; I have no ties to her or hidden agenda here.
RIGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 09:59 PM   #93
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
So true. Exercise is not a commitment for a week, a month or a year. It is on going, on and on .....

Find something you enjoy doing, you look forward to doing so you will keep on doing it.

For me, I am not much of a gym person. I play pickleball, hike, swim, do Classical Stretch and some 3 lb/5 lb weight at home.
GoodWishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 04:46 AM   #94
Recycles dryer sheets

A gym membership and workout is an excellent idea. Commitment is important. Without any background on your health goals and past injuries it is the most important to start.

Possibly start with 2 days a week and then add 1 more day. Going from 2 days a week to 3 and then 4 over time has great possibilities for your body from a health and aesthetics.

Crossfit box (gym) is also an excellent location to get a few workouts complementary and also an amazing community to join. The people in there workout as a team/group/community and it helps you work even harder.
FIREarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 06:56 AM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Exactly. I think that the toughest part for folks is making the firm time commitment.
Actually the personal trainer actually help me with this. Being a cheap charlie type of girl when I joined my gym I signed up with a trainer and it had a 3 month commitment.. lol I got my bootie there because I wasn't wasting the money.

Op, I'm another vote for getting your free first session. Most gyms will at least go over the basic equipment. Also don't be afraid to ask the staff how to use the equipment. that's what they are there for.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:08 AM   #96
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugeauxgirl View Post
The goal here is to be fitter. Don't need to lose weight, and don't want to be noticeably more muscular. I like goals- what should my goals be- i.e., how do you track progress here, and what should I expect?
It takes a great deal for a woman to appear noticeably muscular. A big drop in body fat for one, as well as a great deal of weight training over a long period. This is not something that will happen to a woman with normal fitness gym use. You should look trimmer and toned and maybe lose some fat replaced by muscle - great for your overall health. Beyond that takes a whole other level of dedication.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:12 AM   #97
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIGM View Post
I recommend reading The First Twenty Minutes by Gretchen Reynolds.

The title of the book comes from research that most of the health gains from exercise come from exercising 20 minutes a day. As she writes in the book: “Almost all of the mortality reductions are due to the first twenty minutes of exercise,” says Frank Booth, Ph.D., professor of biomedical sciences at the University of Missouri.
I haven't read the book...in fact I've never heard of it, but I get all my training done in around 20 minutes a day and can vouch for how successful it has been for me.
Old 01-16-2019, 03:51 PM   #98

OP here- I'm actually enjoying the gym so far. I did make myself a schedule- here it is:
Monday- Yoga
Tues- Gym cardio + weights
Wed OFF
Thurs Gym Cardio + weights
Friday gym cardio + weights

I ordered the book- thanks. I loathe exercise classes of every kind (except yoga)- I still have nightmares about jazzercise, aerobics, zumba, etc. I'm meeting with the personal trainer tomorrow afternoon. Thanks to all of your advice, I know what to ask her for.

My first day in the gym, I selected "fitness test" on the elliptical. It pronounced me in poor shape- which is certainly true. That was strangely motivating. I'll try it again in a few weeks and see if my shape has improved!
Old 01-16-2019, 05:56 PM   #99
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugeauxgirl View Post
OP here- I'm actually enjoying the gym so far. I did make myself a schedule- here it is:
Monday- Yoga
Tues- Gym cardio + weights
Wed OFF
Thurs Gym Cardio + weights
Friday gym cardio + weights
The only thing I'd change on that schedule would be to make Friday off and put the gym/cardio on Saturday simply to space it out. But, if that fits your lifestyle as is then leave it as is.

Quote:
I ordered the book- thanks. I loathe exercise classes of every kind (except yoga)- I still have nightmares about jazzercise, aerobics, zumba, etc. I'm meeting with the personal trainer tomorrow afternoon. Thanks to all of your advice, I know what to ask her for.
It's not good if you loathe it...you'll never keep it up in the long run. Maybe look for alternative exercises that you might find more enjoyable. Also, don't overlook the fact that almost all exercises suck when you're out of shape, but suck a lot less when you're in shape.
Old 01-16-2019, 06:01 PM   #100
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
Also, don't overlook the fact that almost all exercises suck when you're out of shape, but suck a lot less when you're in shape.
Millennia ago, when I used to run, a newby said he was unable to run more than a quarter mile......told him that the first quarter is the worst one.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote