Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-23-2019, 11:04 AM   #141
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugeauxgirl View Post

I'm not very happy with my progress on weights but I guess it will come. I expected to be able to do more pushups pretty quickly and I still can't. And I'm still sore- nearly every day something different aches (a little, not usually a lot, though one day I was hobbling). Is this normal or will this go away eventually?
There is no rush to getting fit, so remember its not a destination, but a journey or way of life. Getting sore is OK, but you want to avoid anything that causes pain. Listen to your body and do not forget when lifting weights your are tearing down muscle fibers and you need to allow them to recover and grow bigger and stronger. Rest days are important. How frequently are you working out?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2019, 12:16 PM   #142
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Last update from OP. I'm really enjoying the gym! I can feel progress in my aerobic fitness level. I have more energy and I've gone from level 3 to level 7 on the elliptical and the finest test reading went from "poor" the first week to "excellent" yesterday. Its probably not excellent really. I'm clearly not in the same shape as others at my gym. I'm agog watching some of the things they can do.

I'm not very happy with my progress on weights but I guess it will come. I expected to be able to do more pushups pretty quickly and I still can't. And I'm still sore- nearly every day something different aches (a little, not usually a lot, though one day I was hobbling). Is this normal or will this go away eventually?

Everyone at the gym is very nice, and I enjoy chatting with them.
My trainer and I have finally figured out what I need to be doing- it turns out I don't like many of the machines and prefer compound exercises with weights- barbells mostly.

I have finally figured out how to get off of the chin/dip machine without clanking the weights and making everyone stop and look. And I have discovered I can't do cardio without tunes or I slack on my tempo. But that's fun too, I have a new heavy metal workout playlist...
Great!combo exercises with weights/dumbbells are generally superior to machines, as they work more of your body, balance, etc.

Pushups - these are tough for ladies. It will just take a while as the pecs and arms just have to get stronger.

Music is awesome for cardio.

Soreness - this will probably lessen. But it also means that your muscles are healing and getting stronger. As long as you are giving each muscle group a day off between strength training, you should be OK.
Old 02-24-2019, 06:50 AM   #143
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
There is no rush to getting fit, so remember its not a destination, but a journey or way of life. Getting sore is OK, but you want to avoid anything that causes pain. Listen to your body and do not forget when lifting weights your are tearing down muscle fibers and you need to allow them to recover and grow bigger and stronger. Rest days are important. How frequently are you working out?
I do weights 3 days a week (skipping a day between), cardio 4 or 5, but that sometimes means I'm working sore legs the day after. I do mostly the elliptical and the stairmaster, which means sometimes I work sore thighs the day after squats, but I can't see a way around this. Going to try the rowing machine today.
Old 02-24-2019, 07:46 AM   #144
Moderator Emeritus

I started mixing in more compound dumbbell exercises. I feel that Iím getting a better workout through the compound exercises. https://youtu.be/y1r9toPQNkM
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 02:54 PM   #145
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I do weights 3 days a week (skipping a day between), cardio 4 or 5, but that sometimes means I'm working sore legs the day after. I do mostly the elliptical and the stairmaster, which means sometimes I work sore thighs the day after squats, but I can't see a way around this. Going to try the rowing machine today.
Your still young(compared to me) so you may be able to do more, but you might want to try to incorporate your cardio on the days you weight train and avoid cardio on non-weight lifting days. That may enable a little more recovery time, especially after a leg day. I do like the Concept 2 row machine for cardio, but nothing wrong with using several different cardio machines for that aerobic part of your workout, even just walking for 30-45 minutes is good.
Old 02-24-2019, 03:14 PM   #146

Quote:
And I'm still sore- nearly every day something different aches (a little, not usually a lot, though one day I was hobbling). Is this normal or will this go away eventually?
No. It gets worse. This is a test Mother Nature has devised to see how committed you are.

Really though, it does get better but not nearly as fast as everyone thinks it should. And since I'm 68, I can promise it does not come faster the older you get. One of the motivators now for me to keep going to the gym is that I'm afraid of how fast I'll fall apart if I stop going.
Old 02-24-2019, 03:27 PM   #147
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
No. It gets worse. This is a test Mother Nature has devised to see how committed you are.

Really though, it does get better but not nearly as fast as everyone thinks it should. And since I'm 68, I can promise it does not come faster the older you get. One of the motivators now for me to keep going to the gym is that I'm afraid of how fast I'll fall apart if I stop going.
+1

At 60 I took 6 months off and the first day back I tried my old routine. I didn't get back to the gym for a week and cut everything down majorly.
MRG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 03:30 PM   #148
Give me a forum ...

My health insurance (GEHA) offers a reasonably priced gym membership and Kaiser Medicare Advantage High Option offers the same gym for free. It has Silver Sneakers classes which are excellent. Now I just need to go.
Old 02-24-2019, 03:38 PM   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post

Make sure you eat enough protein for muscles to heal faster. Wait til you feel better to go back again. When you're young, every other day was the mantra. As you get older the muscles don't recover as quickly.
Old 02-24-2019, 05:31 PM   #150

Quote:
Last update from OP. I'm really enjoying the gym! I can feel progress in my aerobic fitness level. I have more energy and I've gone from level 3 to level 7 on the elliptical and the finest test reading went from "poor" the first week to "excellent" yesterday. Its probably not excellent really. I'm clearly not in the same shape as others at my gym. I'm agog watching some of the things they can do.

Everyone at the gym is very nice, and I enjoy chatting with them.
My trainer and I have finally figured out what I need to be doing- it turns out I don't like many of the machines and prefer compound exercises with weights- barbells mostly.

I have finally figured out how to get off of the chin/dip machine without clanking the weights and making everyone stop and look. And I have discovered I can't do cardio without tunes or I slack on my tempo. But that's fun too, I have a new heavy metal workout playlist...
That's awesome! Keep it up! Go to the gym consistently, eat semi-healthy, and most studies say you should live longer and happier.
Old 01-15-2020, 04:46 PM   #151

I walked into the gym today and it's PACKED. One of the regulars leaned over and whispered that most of them would be home by February. Last year I was one of the "new year's resolution" crowd, but I maintained it. I worked out 4+ days per week all year except for the holidays which were hectic. I met my goal and even managed to tire my 12 year old on a hike in Rocky Mountain National Park this summer. Thanks all for your advice. Turns out I LIKE going to the gym, and I feel better too!
Old 01-15-2020, 04:53 PM   #152
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I walked into the gym today and it's PACKED. One of the regulars leaned over and whispered that most of them would be home by February.
DW said that the swimming pool was crowded a few days back.....another swimmer told her the same thing..."They won't last long".

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 05:11 PM   #153
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I walked into the gym today and it's PACKED. One of the regulars leaned over and whispered that most of them would be home by February. Last year I was one of the "new year's resolution" crowd, but I maintained it. I worked out 4+ days per week all year except for the holidays which were hectic. I met my goal and even managed to tire my 12 year old on a hike in Rocky Mountain National Park this summer. Thanks all for your advice. Turns out I LIKE going to the gym, and I feel better too!
Good job!!
Old 01-15-2020, 05:27 PM   #154

I remember Januaries at the gym before I started working out at home. I took consolation that their dues helped to subsidize my membership.
Music Lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 05:42 PM   #155

Quote:
Keep it up girlfriend.
kgtest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 08:35 PM   #156

Way to go ugeauxgirl!! You've beat some serious odds there. By now you may be to the point where you feel guilty when you can't hit the gym, like when you're away on vacation.

If you live in an area with seasonal weather changes, the next hump in gym attendance will be a month or two before the summer weather hits. It's usually a smaller hump though, especially if many of the New Years crowd sticks it out a few extra months.

Glad to see you're getting good results!
O2Bfree is online now   Reply With Quote
Gym
Old 01-20-2020, 11:14 AM   #157
Dryer sheet aficionado

Gym

I joined thru Silver Sneakers. Started w swimming. Then they started up pickleball. I play 3 days a week 1.5 to 2hrs . I have so far lost ten lbs!
Without even noticing. After pickleball I swim and hot tub. I love it.
Also I am TERRIBLE at it. But it keeps me moving.
Livin Large in MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 12:46 PM   #158
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
People only object to "vanity," if you act like the gym is your personal space, and all those other people are nuisances. As you'll soon discover, they are nuisances; just don't you let on.

And don't work out in groups of three! I had one machine left in my work out and three people came to it, each one worked out on it while the others watched. Nothing but watch while one person worked out. I waited 15 minutes to get on that last machine.
Time2 is offline   Reply With Quote