Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-16-2008, 09:20 AM   #21
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post

BTW.....with a score of 85, should I check my pulse every once in while just to make sure I didn't accidentally hit my 'pause' button?

and I thought I was laid back at 174 !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2008, 10:03 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I got a 191, does that mean I'm a B+ ? I'm way beyond the college student age (although taking a JC night class) and the questions are for college students.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 05:26 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

gulp - 280

great test.
Old 03-16-2008, 07:31 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbcal View Post
I'm way beyond the college student age (although taking a JC night class)......
I'm signed up to take a wildflower class at our community college next month. It's some classroom lecture, and then field trips to the local State Parks for the "lab" portion. I also took it a couple of years ago.....it was interesting!

Another one I'm signed up for is studying CHOCOLATE, with the "lab" portion taking in the sights, smells, & tastes of the Chicago metro area!!!! YUMMY!!!

There's one on the Summer schedule that deals with the architecture of Chicago, and includes a boat tour & a walking tour of the Windy City. I thought that would be a fun course too!

I go for the real intellectual classes, don't I?!

(end of hijack )
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 07:34 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

I am having a hard time being out of work right now.....the first week I logged onto the eportal to see what I was missing. The second week, I only checked twice. I am hoping this coming week, I will be able to let go and work on the things I need to work on. It's crazy how ingrained it is in our minds!
citrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 07:07 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
One A/B test is at Type A/B.

Range of scores 35 - 380
Low Scores are Type B
High Scores are Type A
Yup, pretty much type A at 305, but I already knew that...

R
Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 10:32 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbcal View Post
The only negatives for me when running in the park are those occasional rude stares I get from the deer . They have no sense of humor.
Busted for snickering & laughing too loud at my desk in the office~

I am proud...I have toned it down a notch or two I think: a mere 244! (I am less high strung than I was in my early/mid twenties)
Old 03-20-2008, 01:16 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
BTW.....with a score of 85, should I check my pulse every once in while just to make sure I didn't accidentally hit my 'pause' button?
Might be a good idea. At 295, my family/friends say I'm more relaxed since ER than they've ever seen. Wonder what the score would've been ten years ago.
Old 03-20-2008, 01:28 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Thought I was always a Type B. Very introvert - but the test has me as a 285 (or something like that). Can one be an introvert Type A? Always equated Type As to being extrovert, Type Bs being introverts.
oma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 03:13 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
Yup, pretty much type A at 305, but I already knew that...
Now I can post my (not surprising to me) 297, and I've mellowed over the years...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 06:29 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by oma View Post
Thought I was always a Type B. Very introvert - but the test has me as a 285 (or something like that). Can one be an introvert Type A? Always equated Type As to being extrovert, Type Bs being introverts.
I believe one can be an introvert Type A. Any psychology majors here?

DW and I are both fairly introverted, not much into travel, in a heavy snow we can stay inside for a week before getting cabin fever. We don't go shopping for entertainment as so many other people do, don't like crowds, etc. But others have said I'm stubborn and determined, "goal-oriented", will pursue an objective relentlessly. The trouble is overcoming inertia.

I'm the one wanting a travel trailer, I think it would be fun to take some cash from savings & "just head west" since we haven't done much of that sort of spontaneous stuff. So I think on the scale I'm more extroverted than she is.
Old 03-22-2008, 06:01 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Now I can post my (not surprising to me) 297, and I've mellowed over the years...
Yeah, mine didn't really surprise me, and I have mellowed alot over the past few years as well. I'm hoping it will drop a little more when I RE, or I will drive DW nuts.

I think you can be an introvert and a type A. I am pretty much an introvert and have had to teach myself to be extroverted when the time and situation call for it. But I think being a type A makes it easier to do that type of self develpment.

R
Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 09:40 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
We laugh about a guy at the coffee shop who always says, "you are sooo right." But you are! Retiring @ and Want2, you are going to be sooo happy. Years ago after I was pushed out of an 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. job (I spell out the full word because I loved that job), I went out to breakfast every morning near the work neighborhood. This went on for only a few days but I needed the transition. It was this time of the year, and I read every word in the papers about the Ididerod. I then took up cross-country train trips and when I had to go back to another job, I was fully refreshed.

I've also purposely taken off blocks of time and found that the best time (for me) to go to the gym was mid-afternoon, it was just me, a couple of other regulars and the staff, everyone was sooo nice and had time to chat.
Joe, you're soooo right. The problem is that most jobs require face time. The very fact that you'd like to take some time off makes people question your commitment to the job.

When I was up in Canada, I heard an entrepreneur talk about how the U.S. doesn't allow enough vacations and that everyone is working in sub-optimal efficiency. This was from a guy who made tens of millions selling his company to Microsoft. (Think Jurassic Park's special effects.) This guy was no bum, but he liked to work really intensely for several months at a time but then take off 4 weeks. Time wise, he said, he's worked the equivalent of 10 hours a day for the entire year, but the schedule was way better for his sanity.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 10:36 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

SteveR - that looks like a mighty nice RV you have there. Did you have that before or is it a post ER purchase?
I never thought I'd say this, but I think I'd like to have an RV some day.
virginia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 11:58 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Early Retirement

Interesting write up about early retirement. Found the part about the social aspects of work intesting - especially as a single person.
oma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 07:57 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

I took the test twice. I always consider myself a B, but the first time I took the test trying to answer the way I would have before RE and got a 255. I then went back and changed to what I would answer after 2+ years of retirement and was 155. Not bad a full 100 points in two years. I can't imagine getting it much lower and being conscious.

Jeb
Jeb-NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 08:06 AM   #37
Full time employment: Posting here.

I came in at 224....is that both A and B?
citrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 08:55 AM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

183 - B and I know it!
bots2019 is offline   Reply With Quote