Join Early Retirement Today

Some good thoughts about the future.
Old 10-09-2008, 02:55 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Some good thoughts about the future.

I'm sitting here with a broken shoulder bone and thinking about good things.
Considering what is going on in the markets and that I have been retired for 2.5yrs (53) I'm very surprised that I'm in such a good mood. Believe me, people don't call me Mr. Sunshine.

I think I'm feeling good because I pulled the trigger on ER, can't/don't want to go back to work and I have enough cash to see me through the downturn. If I were working I think I would be more worried than I am now.

Read more here on how I think things will play out.
http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ity-39423.html

So the good things:
- When I ERd I set aside cash for several years of down markets - so the planning is helping me - also I'm not updating my mutual fund prices until 12/31.
- This too shall pass (the market downturn - it will be hard to watch it be dead money for a few years).
- I will be healthy
- Foreign travel will get cheaper - I'm thinking about going to New Zealand and Australia now and maybe Europe if the euro weakens even more.
- Deep cuts in travel costs
- Sales from restaurants to department stores will be huge
- Tourist places will be less crowded
- I'm glad my fears aren't shadowing my ER - too much

It is easy to see the negatives in what is going on but, did I miss any good things?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2008, 03:00 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

We're still alive and able to share our fears, thoughts and dreams.
Old 10-09-2008, 04:14 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Laughter is free and in spite of Bloomberg I still laugh! Still have 2 young adults at home and 1 is paying nominal rent and buying a few groceries. The pantry is full of staples. Dog is a hoot (english bulldog) and the library is close and free. IRA is worth less but my taxes may decrease!!!
crazy connie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 04:27 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Have you taken any pain drugs? Percocet is one of my mainstays for phantom nerve pains in my diabetic feet. It always makes me feel that everything is OK.

Mike D.

- R. Earth
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 05:05 PM   #5

Sales are up so much at work that the dress code is casual for the rest of the year.
Marquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 05:27 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I loved it when my company went "Friday casual" every day. Today, I'm in shorts. Went to a dept. store today with a $10.00 off coupon. Bought some underwear and six people tried to wait on me, no wait to pay. Yes, at times like these lots of clean underwear will come in handy. I too have a supply of pain meds and can get more.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 06:56 PM   #7

Dex, if you are thinking of travelling to Australia & NZ it is probably a good time to go. Whilst we have been suffering along with everyone else, our losses in stocks has been offset by the gain we have made with the falling Australian $. In July it was .98 AUD to $1US. I transferred money yesterday and it was .70 AUD to $1US.

You know no matter what, I believe we will survive even if we lost everything. It would probably involve us being more creative and adopting a different lifestyle, but I believe that focusing on my health and maintaining strong personal relationships is more important than worrying about the stock market which is something I have absolutely no control over.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 07:43 PM   #8

CuppaJoe.. interesting your 2 basic necessities: underwear and pain meds. As a lady, I'm thinking of investing in lots of heavy skirts to keep warm, with no u/w. Who needs the extra laundry?

Perhaps you should investigate kilts?
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 07:47 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
You know no matter what, I believe we will survive even if we lost everything. It would probably involve us being more creative and adopting a different lifestyle, but I believe that focusing on my health and maintaining strong personal relationships is more important than worrying about the stock market which is something I have absolutely no control over.
Sounds about right. In the interest of retaining my sanity, I have used this time to reflect on what is really important. Oddly enough, FIRE, the equity market, and anything else financial don't make it onto the first page. As a result, I have a totally different view about what I want in the future.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 07:50 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladelfina View Post
Perhaps you should investigate kilts?
-
Too bad I'm not Scottish. Next time I'll get the plaid underwear.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 08:01 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Dex,

Thank you for sharing your good thoughts about the future. I, for one, sure could use positive vibes some right about now. I sure admire your positive outlook and hope you recover quickly from your injury.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:09 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Sounds about right. In the interest of retaining my sanity, I have used this time to reflect on what is really important. Oddly enough, FIRE, the equity market, and anything else financial don't make it onto the first page. As a result, I have a totally different view about what I want in the future.
I agree 100%. I'm sitting here in a comfortable home watching the Phillies and Dodgers in the NLCS. My stomach is full of good food. Tomorrow evening, my wife and I will have dinner with our daughters, sons-in-law and 4 terrific grandkids. I'm a wealthy man despite the economic upheaval.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:05 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
Have you taken any pain drugs? Percocet is one of my mainstays for phantom nerve pains in my diabetic feet. It always makes me feel that everything is OK.

Mike D.
LOL! Thank God there is still percocet, and Xanax, in the world. Wish I could get some right now.
Zoocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 05:44 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Good post Dex. I thank the people on this board that I set aside a few years cash. Not quite as much as I would like but still a nice cushion while we wait for the curve to reverse.

Edit: darn it Dex, your mention about not looking at your mutual funds perversely peaked my interest and I opened my auto check spreadsheet. Wowwww - yesterday really took a toll.
Old 10-10-2008, 06:55 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Edit: darn it Dex, your mention about not looking at your mutual funds perversely peaked my interest and I opened my auto check spreadsheet. Wowwww - yesterday really took a toll.
Don't look down!
Old 10-10-2008, 07:13 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

thanks for a very positive post.
i went thru a similar exercise last night with dh2b. he is a brand new investor and is going thru his first bear market. here are my "pluses":
- no matter what happens in the market, we have each other on the same team. the pain is shared.
- markets do recover. bears growl but bulls still run.
- no loss is a realized loss until you sell, so don't panic.
- we both have income. i will return to w*rk if i have to. his j*b is secure.
- we have a roof over our heads and no mortgage
- we are not in debt
- our pantry is stocked
- our 2 dogs are cute (got a big laugh for that one)

valiantly keeping my glass half full.
Old 10-10-2008, 07:23 AM   #17

Dex

I like your point about foreign travel getting cheaper. I had been struggling with cost justification of desired European vacations as the dollar was falling. Maybe I’ll have a second chance to see it as a bargain.
cantlogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 08:55 AM   #18

I love this thread....we need more of them!
I am 33.....have a lot more time before I need to start fretting.
I am working towards launching a new career.
I have the cutest little cat in the world.
I am able to pay all of my bills and my schooling with cash.
I have great friends and co-workers.
Life is amazingly GOOD.
citrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 06:40 PM   #19

"The basis of optimism is sheer terror." Oscar Wilde

"A pessimist is an optimist with experience." Anon

"Optimist: a person who travels on nothing from nowhere to happiness." Mark Twain

I like the M.Twain one.
Zoocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 03:45 AM   #20

Dex's shoulder will heal. Then he can play tennis or go fishing or whatever it was that he used to do and can't for the moment. And he will appreciate it more.

DW will have her BA degree in the spring. Only took 20+ years, but she'll have it. I'm gonna get her that outrageously large plaque she wants to mount the diploma on.

We both have our health and can walk to the mailbox. We went to a reunion dinner last night and one of the guys I used to work with can't do that.

All the bills are paid and we don't owe anybody anything.

Some family coming over today for a get-together in the (to them) wilds of West Virginia. Not so different - we do have electricity and indoor plumbing. I guess it's a mental thing.

I have a job where I work with people I like. Some are half a bubble off center, but so is the rest of the world. If I decide I don't want to work there anymore I don't have to. I'm gonna buy a new motorcycle in two months. The pantry is full.

Not much left to do with FIL's house to put it on the market, just some more painting for us, we're having the windows and floors done.. It will sell for what someone will pay. Whether it's enough to get him to a retirement community remains to be seen. If not then he'll have to decide which grumpy in-laws he wants to live with.

In the spring I'm gonna go for some long motorcycle rides and do some more fishing, since I won't be working on FIL's house.