Some Perspective From a Dark Place - Solzhenitsyn

Tekward

Recycles dryer sheets
Too many younger folk have never heard of this book (my adult daughter among them):
“… What about the main thing in life, all its riddles? If you want, I'll spell it out for you right now. Do not pursue what is illusionary -property and position: all that is gained at the expense of your nerves decade after decade, and is confiscated in one fell night.

Live with a steady superiority over life -don't be afraid of misfortune, and do not yearn for happiness; it is, after all, all the same: the bitter doesn't last forever, and the sweet never fills the cup to overflowing.

It is enough if you don't freeze in the cold and if thirst and hunger don't claw at your insides. If your back isn't broken, if your feet can walk, if both arms can bend, if both eyes can see, if both ears hear, then whom should you envy? And why? Our envy of others devours us most of all. Rub your eyes and purify your heart -and prize above all else in the world those who love you and who wish you well. Do not hurt them or scold them, and never part from any of them in anger; after all, you simply do not know: it may be your last act before your arrest, and that will be how you are imprinted on their memory.”
― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

I can very much relate to the first paragraph. The trapping of things and possessions can really handcuff you and can sometimes feel like a burden especially when you want to live life freely but first must offload them.

I can very much relate to the first paragraph. The trapping of things and possessions can really handcuff you and can sometimes feel like a burden especially when you want to live life freely but first must offload them.

And I was touched by the last paragraph - especially when I realized what the author had suffered - and why.

An author very much worth reading and rereading. Brilliant man who definitely had his head straight.

Kafka wrote about it, Solzhenitsyn experienced it...in spades.

If we substitute "death" for "being arrested and taken to the Gulag," Jesus said very similar things. I often think of his advice not to store up earthly treasures, which "moth and rust corrupt, and thieves break in and steal."

Too many younger folk have never heard of this book (my adult daughter among them):
“… What about the main thing in life, all its riddles? If you want, I'll spell it out for you right now. Do not pursue what is illusionary -property and position: all that is gained at the expense of your nerves decade after decade, and is confiscated in one fell night.

Live with a steady superiority over life -don't be afraid of misfortune, and do not yearn for happiness; it is, after all, all the same: the bitter doesn't last forever, and the sweet never fills the cup to overflowing.

It is enough if you don't freeze in the cold and if thirst and hunger don't claw at your insides. If your back isn't broken, if your feet can walk, if both arms can bend, if both eyes can see, if both ears hear, then whom should you envy? And why? Our envy of others devours us most of all. Rub your eyes and purify your heart -and prize above all else in the world those who love you and who wish you well. Do not hurt them or scold them, and never part from any of them in anger; after all, you simply do not know: it may be your last act before your arrest, and that will be how you are imprinted on their memory.”
― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

If we substitute "death" for "being arrested and taken to the Gulag," Jesus said very similar things. I often think of his advice not to store up earthly treasures, which "moth and rust corrupt, and thieves break in and steal."

Yes, the older I get the more this rings true. "Then who will get what you have prepared for yourself?" YMMV

Only God knows what Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn went through in his years in the Gulag. And he wasn't alone--millions of innocent people experienced the needless torture.

I read that book many years ago, and was impressed with his brilliance.

Accumulating wealth is a major theme of this site.

Thank you for the needed perspective.

Accumulating wealth is a major theme of this site.
Well, in all fairness this site is about financial independence and retiring early and some amount of wealth accumulation is needed to to that. I believe that is fine until it gets to the point of being obsessive about it or simply accumulating wealth for its own sake. Overall, I agree with Solzhenitsyn's perspective.

Well, in all fairness this site is about financial independence and retiring early and some amount of wealth accumulation is needed to to that. I believe that is fine until it gets to the point of being obsessive about it or simply accumulating wealth for its own sake. Overall, I agree with Solzhenitsyn's perspective.

^This

For me, FI and accumulating wealth is about safety and security (and comfort I'll admit). The trials of life have made me appreciate time, friends/relationships and experiences over any trappings of wealth.

^This

For me, FI and accumulating wealth is about safety and security (and comfort I'll admit). The trials of life have made me appreciate time, friends/relationships and experiences over any trappings of wealth.

Agree. I will also add that I have accumulated so that I do not become a burden to my family and friends.

Read The Gulag Archipelago in high school. Very impressive work was awarded a Nobel.

Can't say I agree with his perspective of later years, though.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aleksandr_Solzhenitsyn

I know many old men who fall prey to misty nostalgia in their dotage and view the past with rose coloured glasses.

Considering what he went through I can cut him a certain amount of slack in succumbing to this very human failing. In comparison to the Bolshies and Uncle Joe I am sure the Tsar seemed agreeable in retrospect.

Agree. I will also add that I have accumulated so that I do not become a burden to my family and friends.

And I would add, not being a burden to our strained governmental safety net system. YMMV

I remember reading Solzhenitsyn as a young Eason, so shocked by the Siberian camps and repression. So dire.

Lots of authors I read back then were dire. How did I make it through all that?

Read The Gulag Archipelago in high school. Very impressive work was awarded a Nobel.

Can't say I agree with his perspective of later years, though.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aleksandr_Solzhenitsyn

I know many old men who fall prey to misty nostalgia in their dotage and view the past with rose coloured glasses.

Considering what he went through I can cut him a certain amount of slack in succumbing to this very human failing. In comparison to the Bolshies and Uncle Joe I am sure the Tsar seemed agreeable in retrospect.
From what I've read about AS since this thread started, he was a fervent Russian nationalist from the beginning (born 1918) and raised in Russian Orthodoxy. Anti-semitism was a component of those times, same as racism in the U.S. I was surprised at first to read accusations of anti-semitism, but it makes sense when viewed historically.

I remember reading Solzhenitsyn as a young [-]Eason[/-] person, so shocked by the Siberian camps and repression. So dire.

Lots of authors I read back then were dire. How did I make it through all that?

Should be young person.

I’ve read other Russian authors, but not Solzhenitsyn. I’m going to have to rectify that.

However, reading the quote, I’m reminded of Man’s Search for Meaning, by Viktor Frankl: “Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way.”

With respect, I disagree. I walked away from a nice salary and other compensation when I FIRE'd. If I was focused on accumulating wealth, I'd still be w*rking.
As have many of us. I'd say the theme of this site is living well. Having "enough" is part of that goal, but I don't see any obsession with making money for the purpose of just having more.

I’ve read other Russian authors, but not Solzhenitsyn. I’m going to have to rectify that.

However, reading the quote, I’m reminded of Man’s Search for Meaning, by Viktor Frankl: “Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way.”
I also read book that as a young person. I remember that book being very revealing and significant to me.

Yes, there are similar themes throughout a lot of what I would call 'wisdom' writings. Marcus Aurelius, Buddha, Christ.... Ecclesiastes in the Old Testament also has a similar admonition. I consider 'Man's Search for Meaning' one of the best books I've read and the message resonates-excellent wisdom.

I have kept a picture on my computer that illustrated the same message; two people are riding the same bus looking out their respective windows. One sees a beautiful paradise and is smiling and happy. The other sees hades and is frowning and miserable. We make our lives.

I would say that certain cultures have common mindsets and that those mindsets have ranges along the attitude and happiness spectrum. It may be easier for some people to be happy/maintain a positive attitude regardless of their circumstances, whereas others have to work harder at that. Nevertheless, I believe that working on having that positive attitude over time strengthens one's resilience for one's life circumstances.

Back
Top Bottom