Join Early Retirement Today

Somebody Else is Living My Retirement Dream
Old 02-18-2021, 01:04 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Somebody Else is Living My Retirement Dream

Some friends just tied up their boat alongside my boat down in Mexico. They reported that I have a new liveaboard on my boat and sent me a picture. So this guy moved aboard and doesn't pay any rent.

In the meantime, I am up here wearing winter clothing (pants and shoes!), and have moved into my townhome that my tenants vacated and I find myself working five days a week to cover the cost of living on dirt and maintaining a boat abroad.

The upside is that my company leased me a Tesla to entice me into the office a few days a week.

I can't wait to get a vaccine, rent out my townhouse, give the Tesla back and pile in our bags into our little Toyota and drive south. This has been a very strange year.

Oh yes, I am looking forward to evicting my new live aboard tenant!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6198.jpg (261.4 KB, 162 views)
Going Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2021, 01:21 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

HawkeyeNFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 05:57 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Going Sailing View Post
Some friends just tied up their boat alongside my boat down in Mexico. They reported that I have a new liveaboard on my boat and sent me a picture. So this guy moved aboard and doesn't pay any rent.

In the meantime, I am up here wearing winter clothing (pants and shoes!), and have moved into my townhome that my tenants vacated and I find myself working five days a week to cover the cost of living on dirt and maintaining a boat abroad.

The upside is that my company leased me a Tesla to entice me into the office a few days a week.

I can't wait to get a vaccine, rent out my townhouse, give the Tesla back and pile in our bags into our little Toyota and drive south. This has been a very strange year.

I feel your pain. We are stuck here in PA because father-in-law can’t be left alone and siblings “can’t” take him. Our condo in Florida has a beautiful beachfront ocean view being enjoyed by pigeons nesting on our balcony. We were called last week and asked if management could enter our eighth floor balcony to chase off the pigeons and put spikes outside of the hurricane shutters to prevent them from coming back. At least someone got to enjoy that beautiful view this winter, at least for a while.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 06:09 PM   #4

You could rename the boat.

Iguana Retire
Reptile Dysfunction
See Lizard
Tastes Like Chicken
twaddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 06:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by twaddle View Post

Iguana Retire
Reptile Dysfunction
See Lizard
Tastes Like Chicken
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 10:39 AM   #6
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by twaddle View Post

Iguana Retire
Reptile Dysfunction
See Lizard
Tastes Like Chicken
Love it. There was another guy aboard near Barra de Navidad who also would have tasted like chicken. In fact the Iguana is the latest in long line of creatures who have come aboard. We have had a rat, a snake, a thousand pound sea lion, and cockroaches. Thankfully the wolves, grizzly bears, orcas, jumping thresher sharks, and humpback whales we come across haven't made any boarding attempts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0353.jpg (439.7 KB, 62 views)
Going Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 10:49 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Maybe the snake likes iguanas....
Old 02-19-2021, 12:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeNFO View Post
+1 LOL - Saw them live back in the late 80's in my college town.
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 12:06 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

You may want to reconsider. He's probably good at vermin control and scaring off "poopy birds"
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 12:26 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Going Sailing View Post

The golden handcuffs have been updated, I see.

I am really hoping this horrid weather helps to convince my DW that the time to retire and head south is NOW.
Old 02-19-2021, 12:48 PM   #11

Had this little guy on our dingy...but, he was invited.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A64AF54C-B61E-488F-9C82-A760902BC504.jpg (570.8 KB, 47 views)
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 02:26 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Heh, heh, it's really warm on your boat so when you evict your live-aboard, wear good sneakers and better gloves. Those guys can really move when they're warmed up. Now, if he eats cock roaches, you might invite him around for lunch from time to time.

Just wondering if you've gone back and reviewed any of Dory36's posts from all those years ago. In addition to his FIRECalc and ER community fame, he had some great live-aboard tales to share. Miss him. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote