Join Early Retirement Today

Sorry for Old Work Friends
Old 10-14-2020, 07:59 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Sorry for Old Work Friends

So I texted with two of my old work friends today (10/14). I was (and they still are) in the tax field so 10/15 is a big deadline. They were telling me all the busy season problems including a lost UPS packages full of tax returns being sent to a client, clients throwing in last minute (and very important) facts that totally changed their returns, staff promises of when they will finish drafting returns only to have that occur days later, and it goes on and on.

My response to them was "Well, I played golf today, sorry, not sorry."

LIFE IS GOOD!
SALTedOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2020, 08:18 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I have two classes of old work friends.

One that made as much or more than me and spent it all and have to work.

The other that salted away and invested as much as me and could RE, but won't because they don't know what else to do.

I used to feel bad for both, but not anymore.
Stormy Kromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 08:21 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

HAHA, pretty sure both of these fall into category 1. They live large.
SALTedOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 11:12 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormy Kromer View Post
I have two classes of old work friends.

One that made as much or more than me and spent it all and have to work.
I don't feel sorry for the ones that spent it all, they had their fun, took great trips or bought nice big stuff while I made do.

If I die next week, they were right to blow it all while alive.
Old 10-15-2020, 03:04 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I am not in contact with any former colleagues from work. Different life now and don't wish to hear all the office politics and complaints.
Old 10-15-2020, 03:30 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

My former colleagues (that I am in touch with on social media) are either doing well, or have retired and are enjoying it. I haven't noticed any cause for schadenfreude.

It's amazing how people have adapted to having fun during a pandemic.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 06:08 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The few that still are working that I know, are just piling it on. They don't have to work but do and making lots of money. Lol

I'm jealous they may have more money then me, NOT!! I hope if they are happy, they will need a armored truck to haul their stash away when they leave.

I wish them well each day, in what ever they do. I don't have contact with any of them any more unless I would run into them up town etc..
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 06:41 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

When I first retired, I would get emails about once a month from "someone" at work.... Usually complaining about working in general or management stunts. After ~10 years, those emails have dropped off to "zero"... I still hear from a few of the retirees occasionally but even those have trickled to one or two a year.
Old 10-15-2020, 07:08 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

After I left, there has been continued layoffs at megacorp, causing consternation across those that I talked with. I knew this was coming because I saw the future numbers and the growing gap to hit them. I'm so glad I took the package, especially with the winter coming soon. No more commute in the snow.
Toocold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 07:48 AM   #10

I guess it figures that most communications with former coworkers whom one liked are about workplace topics, since thatís what one has most in common with them.
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 08:30 AM   #11

FB friends with several former co workers, both retired and those still working.
First few years, I would have lunch out frequently with some, not so much now. Even before Covid, they had dwindled down.
Those who are still working, mention the same complaints that were around when I was there.......glad I am not anymore.
Old 10-15-2020, 09:03 AM   #12

My old workplace has had many layoffs and restructures since I left last year. An entire software team that was supposedly leading the company's movement into the SaaS (software as a service) business got let go and product development was outsourced. Numerous engineers in another group who had been signalling their unhappiness over the push to launch new products regardless of quality left the company or ERed. The amazing manager I had ERed, and my replacement is working under a manager in another group, physically removed from the great team she supports.

Lots of changes I'm glad I wasn't there to see happen to a lot of great people; however, if I'd known the Covid thing was coming I might have kept working another year and slogged through them, somewhat insulated by working at home.
O2Bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 10:08 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

I retired in 2009 and haven't kept in contact with any of my old work friends. I do occasionally check the website to see what they are up to, though. So many of them (even those older than me!) are still w*rking. I feel so fortunate.
Old 10-15-2020, 11:32 PM   #14

We have a hard time finding people to do things with...they only want to do things on Saturdays! We can do things almost any night, but they have to w*rk the next day lol.

But seriously, we try hard not to rub it in their face. We were in that situation years ago and would not have liked that.
Old 10-16-2020, 05:43 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
I am not in contact with any former colleagues from work. Different life now and don't wish to hear all the office politics and complaints.
+1. I made the mistake of visiting the office one day shortly after ER and almost had a panic attack. One friend wants to talk about FIRE some time and Iíll be glad to, but if he never reaches out to set it up thatís okay too.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 04:26 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Only have one 'friend' left back at Megacorp after 15 years FIRE'd. He's happy to still have his j*b as many folks were put on the musical chairs of 'bidding for their j*bs.' He's hoping for one or two more years. He'll be at least 67. Bummer. But he had to start over a couple of times due to divorce and "new" kids. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 02:38 PM   #17
Confused about dryer sheets

I talk to some. Funny thing is the they asked me how to invest way back when and i just told them to read up on bogle investing (Golden Advice back in 2008) and its all they need. Needless to say they're still working, losing money on shitty rental condos etc.

The only thing I occasionally miss is the commadre but hated the politicking and cringe at the though of ever having to go back.
moneyequalstime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 05:06 PM   #18

I left voluntarily this July just as a lot of downsizing-related staff turmoil peaked. Lately, itís been front page in the local paper as a succession of executives have left, starting with the CEO. Management got themselves into their own echo chamber bubble and lost staff support. I donít miss it and donít care to belly-ache with those who are still there. Nothing I can do.
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 07:44 PM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have small circle of maybe 6-10 friends that we met through work (DW and I both worked at the same megacorp) and we make an effort to see them often. Wonderful people, we a lot in common and enjoy each other's company immensely. 4 in particular are probably our best friends on the planet. 2 still work there, but respect limiting work talk and no complaining.
Old 11-10-2020, 07:49 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I tried to contact one old friend but got no response. Maybe not there anymore? A victim of covid economy?

Who knows. And who cares.