Spending Habits: Food & Drink

I make my own thin-crust pizza now and bake it fresh using Nan bread as crust .. it's pretty super - I like to put Italian salami, fresh mushrooms, olives, sardines in olive oil, low fat mozarella cheese, and Irish cheese, and just bake it for 10 minutes.:dance:

Nice! I was just talking today about making thin crust pizza so I could smear it with pesto. I will have to try the Nan bread. Any chance they sell that or something similar at Whole Foods? I will have to check it out...

The homade pizzas are great. I've been making my own mostly wheat crusts that are pretty good according to DW. Normally with 4oz of bacon and a full pound of cheese, half of which is Provel☺. I haven't done a true St . Louis pizza yet, but the Provel makes it awesome.

I used to make pizza, bread, etc.. at home. My kids loved them, but our family has gone almost gluten free, so I need to learn how to modify my recipe to make some form of gluten free crust.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I used to make pizza, bread, etc.. at home. My kids loved them, but our family has gone almost gluten free, so I need to learn how to modify my recipe to make some form of gluten free crust.

While I've not used it I've read folks with gluten issues make a cauliflower crust. From the reviews I've read seems like it's a love it or hate it reaction.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

I make my own thin-crust pizza now and bake it fresh using Nan bread as crust .. it's pretty super - I like to put Italian salami, fresh mushrooms, olives, sardines in olive oil, low fat mozarella cheese, and Irish cheese, and just bake it for 10 minutes.:dance:

Sounds good! We sometimes just buy pizza dough at the deli section of the grocery store or at someplace like Trader Joes. DH occassionally does up a pizza on the BBQ grill. I haven't tried that myself yet and just use the regular oven - but it is a nice thing in the summer to keep the house from getting too hot!

On my bucket list is to learn how to twirl pizza dough! I love that hand tossed texture and have not mastered it yet. I just end up using a rolling pin instead most of the time.:LOL:

We like to just put misc. leftovers on the pizzas so they are different everytime. It is a great way to use up bits of leftovers like ham, bacon, and veggies that would otherwise just land in an omelet at some point.

In my case, that "assumes facts not in evidence." :cool: (Mom was not, and is not, worth a hoot as a cook.) DW and I taught ourselves. Love to cook, and love to eat out occasionally--anything from cheap korean and thai to James Beard awarded molecular gastronomy. :dance:

My Dad was actually a better cook than my Mom. He had previous jobs in his younger days as a grill cook.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I did it the old fashion way, by hand. I love to see the dough rises, one thing I miss about making bread. The power of yeast. I have to look up how to make it with cauliflower, thanks for the suggestion.

I go through spurts of cooking everything and spurts of not wanting to cook at all. DH treats the kitchen like he's allergic to it. I would have thought he'd try to learn a little more after a few years. It's not much fun to be the family's cook all the time. When I was w**king I would cook extra so we would have leftovers, a lot.

I have DS at home for a few more months and I'm teaching him a few tricks. He makes great ribs and steak. Veggies are simple. Now he needs to learn how to do some less expensive items.

A couple of months ago I took the plunge into sous vide, steak, chicken, and other things. Eggs poached in the shell are amazing. OMG why eat out when you can cook better than many restaurants?

I don't keep a budget. I just make sure we don't spend too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Back
Top Bottom