Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-08-2017, 12:26 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Collar Guy View Post
not me, see above, i spend less than an hour outside now, compared to 8 when I worked
Oh, oops! I was wrong. You spent a lot of time outside when you worked.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2017, 12:58 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Golf three days a week unless weather is rainy or less than 45 degrees F.
Long walks or hiking two or three days a week. Overnight camping once every couple of weeks during three seasons. Last night's tent camping was rain all night and just hung everything in the basement to dry and put the sleeping bag in the dryer.
Lots to do and see here in WNC. Met a couple this morning from New Zealand who have been here for two and a half months, now going home and coming back to WNC in the fall.
sanfanciscotreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 04:39 PM   #23

In the winter the only time either one of us goes outside it to get to the grocery store or to the gym. We hate cold weather. In the warm weather I'll go on a two-mile walk on non-gym days but that's about it. Like BCG I spent most of my working life outside and I'm not active in any sports or outdoor hobbies except radio control model airplanes. But for even that I just go to the back yard.
Old 06-10-2017, 08:50 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

One of my retirement goals. I spend only about an hour a day outside while working. Do have a window over my shoulder at work, though.
Out of Steam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 10:38 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

About the same, maybe a bit more, as before I retired. I just don't have the pressure to complete all my outside activities only on the weekends so it is more enjoyable.
Old 06-10-2017, 11:34 AM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've always been an outdoor person. I'll sit outside in very hot weather and let a sprinkler spray my legs while I sit in the shade. I also go out in very cold weather and hike to stay warm or sit by an outdoor fireplace or patio heater. Too much time indoors makes me feel imprisoned, especially in the winter. Dressing warmly and going for a walk seems to lift my mood and help with cabin fever and the winter blues.
Old 06-10-2017, 02:22 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

More now than my IT career. We generally walk an hour or more daily. Today was a four mile hike that took two full hours.

In my first career, lumber, working inside was not very common. One winter I was under roof of a big open air shed or pole barn. No protection from the wind but plenty of nice shade. North winds blowing snow up your butt anytime you bent over.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 02:58 PM   #28
gone traveling

I spend about 2 hrs outdoors which is maybe a half hour than before I retired. Now I spend about 5-6 hours per day out of the house.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 03:32 AM   #29

Wednesday mornings is now hiking day. Usually 3 or 4 hours, occasionally more.
Old 06-11-2017, 04:45 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

I spend almost every day outside as much I can. Nothing for me to be outdoors 10 hours each day. I also love winter so I'm out a lot each day in the winter. There is so many fun things to do in the winter.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 07:02 AM   #31

Def much, much more.

I walk 4 miles most days and bike for 30 minutes 3 or 4 X per week. Spend a lot of time hiking (mostly state and national) parks all over the state. DW has a 10 garden beds and I do all the construction and maintenance.

Read and surf/blog while sitting out on the deck for hours sometimes.

Life = grand!
Old 06-11-2017, 07:51 AM   #32

I had an office job for almost 34 years, so way more outside time for me. I remember sitting in the office or in a meeting and just longing to be outside. I used to plan all my time off around predicted nice weather.
Old 06-11-2017, 08:44 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveyoga View Post
I had an office job for almost 34 years, so way more outside time for me. I remember sitting in the office or in a meeting and just longing to be outside. I used to plan all my time off around predicted nice weather.
Same for me. One of the big benefits of retirement is being able to be outside more. In retirement I took up skiing and biking. Activities that are best done outside. Also got two more vacation type properties in the mountains and in Arizona mostly because of the outdoor attractions. In fact, now that I think of it, my retirement was mostly predicated on being outside. It's a retirement not an aging thing.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 09:24 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
Same for me. One of the big benefits of retirement is being able to be outside more. In retirement I took up skiing and biking. Activities that are best done outside. Also got two more vacation type properties in the mountains and in Arizona mostly because of the outdoor attractions. In fact, now that I think of it, my retirement was mostly predicated on being outside. It's a retirement not an aging thing.
Agree! I have loved being outside since I can first remember as a kid.
Old 06-11-2017, 09:58 AM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
Being able to spend more time outside is the primary reason I bought our Az place. I can spend all day outside in Az in the winter. Not in Il.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 08:08 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Not retired yet, but planning to up my outdoors time from 1 hour a work day (commuting) to 4 or 5 hours every day. This is indeed a motivation for retiring in my case, as it seems to be for others. And by "outdoors" I don't mean "on a patio" or "at the grocery store," though there's nothing wrong with that. I mean "in nature." Directly across the street from my low-maintenance condo is 22 miles of open space on Lake Michigan. No other city in the world gives the public access to that much waterfront property. Tennis, golf, beaches, marinas, bird sanctuaries and a bike path throughout. The health and wellness benefits are huge. I expect to occupy it daily, in all seasons (albeit much less in winter). Can hardly wait when I think about it -- thanks for the reminder.
1-31-18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 09:05 AM   #37

When working, I was outside every lunchtime, rain or shine, for a hour. I "needed" it, to clear my head (and besides, I didn't want to give them an extra hour of w*rk, and if you were at your desk, you were fair game).

Now, not working, there are days where I don't go outside at all.

I need to get a routine that includes being outside more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-31-18 View Post
Directly across the street from my low-maintenance condo is 22 miles of open space on Lake Michigan.
And you can get a custard at Northpoint, that is, if you're talking about Milwaukee.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 09:21 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

WE take the dog for a long walk daily no matter the weather. I also like to sit outside and read. My DH has the garden to care for. I love being outside. Most weekends we have a festival downtown that we go too.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 09:25 AM   #39

I love being retired because like today I can walk in my leisure pace to enjoy my garden. Best to do it before it gets too hot.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 09:28 AM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

A lot more time. I used to work in a windowless building, so I now try to enjoy the sunlight whenever possible - even if it means just sitting in a recliner on my back porch with some iced tea.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote