St. Louis: Is it a Good Place for RE

oliverdickens

Recycles dryer sheets
We are constantly researching areas to relocate now that we are in ER, and were wondering about the St. Louis area in terms of cost of living, housing, etc.

We want to be by or on a lake and have looked at the Ofallon and Lake of St. Louis areas, but wondering if anyone could perhaps provide opinions on these areas as well as other potential communities around or on a lake.

We probably would be looking for housing in the $300-400K area.

Appreciate all the information. Thanks

I hope you have checked the crime rate in that area before you do anything. A new report came out I saw in the paper a few days ago citing St. Louis as the #1 city with the highest crime in America now.
Not for me...thanks.

I hope you have checked the crime rate in that area before you do anything. A new report came out I saw in the paper a few days ago citing St. Louis as the #1 city with the highest crime in America now.
Not for me...thanks.

The crime statistics you refer to are only based on the city of St. Louis, population 340,000. The full St. Louis metropolitan area is somewhere around 3 million people.

A bit misleading, wouldn't you say? The majority of the full metropolitan area has very low crime rates. A house purchased for $300-$400k will definitely not be in anything remotely resembling a high crime area. A house for $30k near the projects in north St. Louis, on the other hand, would.

Thanks for the information. I remember hearing that crime stat as well, but didn't want to condeem the entire area. Looking forward to hearing from anyone with opinions on the areas around lakes, etc.

My mother and sister live in O'Fallon. When I left home 30 years ago, it was a sleepy little town surrounded by farms. Since that time, they have built new bridges over the Missouri River, and O'Fallon and neighboring St. Peters consequently have become exurbs of St. Louis, with wall to wall subdivisions, strip malls and chain restaurants. It really saddens me to see it when I go home to see Mom.

I would look at places out past Wentzville or south of Highway 40/61, like New Melle or Augusta (or even Washington) where it is still more rural and quiet. Actually, if you like a rural location and a lake, you might check out the Lake of the Ozarks, southwest of Jefferson City. It is bigger than Lake Saint Louis and the general area is more attractive.

No matter where you go in Missouri, though, you will be much more comfortable if you are Baptist and socially conservative. They don't like liberals there (another problem for me).

Also, consider the news stories of people who leave a high-crime area only to become rare victims in a "safe" place.

I too would like to hear more about St. Louis.

I would look at places out past Wentzville or south of Highway 40/61, like New Melle or Augusta (or even Washington) where it is still more rural and quiet. Actually, if you like a rural location and a lake, you might check out the Lake of the Ozarks, southwest of Jefferson City. It is bigger than Lake Saint Louis and the general area is more attractive.

My kids like Columbia, too, if you are attracted to smallish college towns. Might even find a few liberals there, too. Great coffee shop, nice little downtown area and the big university. It's about 90 minutes from St. Louis.

I agree with everything Gumby said...however, I really never noticed the Baptist thing. :)

Never lived on a lake, but DH and I lived in Ballwin for 8 years (that was 13 years ago). The only reason we left the area is because Mega Corp moved us. We loved living there. The only thing I don't miss is the snow.

You should be able to get a very nice house for $300 to $400k.

My kids like Columbia, too, if you are attracted to smallish college towns. Might even find a few liberals there, too. Great coffee shop, nice little downtown area and the big university. It's about 90 minutes from St. Louis.

Jeff City sucks in my opinion. Gotta be one of the worst state caps that I have seen. St. Lou is a bit rusty to me but still offers a decent value. I would like to see them rebuild some of the structures in the area -- of course they say there are plans to do so. Clayton is very nice.

Columbia is a fantastic college town. I REALLY enjoyed my time there while obtaining my master's, kinda miss it already :(.

Sorry, no up-to-date info, but we lived near Scott AFB (which is near O"Fallon) for three years in the early 1990s. The cost of living was very reasonable, and the spring and autumn weather is pleasant. We liked the people and the area. Crime was not a serious problem then. Now, the city of East St Louis is another matter--it is a crime-ridden disaster. It was no problem unless your car happens to break down while you are enroute to St Louis (see the movie "Vacation").
In general, I wonder why crooks living in high-crime areas don't target the nearby wealthy suburbs more. It would be just a short commute, and the pickings are so much better.
Oh, if you travel by air frequently, you'll want to see if there's a nearby hub. Lambert IAP in St Louis used to be a hub for TWA years ago, but I've heard it is just a shell of it's former self. Having a hub within driving distance of home can cut your total fares considerably.

Oh, if you travel by air frequently, you'll want to see if there's a nearby hub. Lambert IAP in St Louis used to be a hub for TWA years ago, but I've heard it is just a shell of it's former self. Having a hub within driving distance of home can cut your total fares considerably.

It is. Steadily declining air traffic. Columbia has a small airport that flies to KC and then connects. They also have a shuttle that will take you to either St. Lou or KC.

Sorry, no up-to-date info, but we lived near Scott AFB (which is near O"Fallon) for three years in the early 1990s. The cost of living was very reasonable, and the spring and autumn weather is pleasant. We liked the people and the area. Crime was not a serious problem then. Now, the city of East St Louis is another matter--it is a crime-ridden disaster. It was no problem unless your car happens to break down while you are enroute to St Louis (see the movie "Vacation").
In general, I wonder why crooks living in high-crime areas don't target the nearby wealthy suburbs more. It would be just a short commute, and the pickings are so much better.

I think you are mistaking O'Fallon, IL (near Belleville) and O'Fallon, MO (near Lake St. Louis on the west side).

I don't think that Lambert is still a hub, but it is a large enough airport that there are still many direct flights to other major US cities (and some international).

No matter where you go in Missouri, though, you will be much more comfortable if you are Baptist and socially conservative. They don't like liberals there (another problem for me).

Socially conservative, yes. The further away from any city you get, the more conservative attitudes tend to become. Interestingly, Madison county (in Illinois) is heavily Democratic (albeit still conservative compared to cities on the west coast).

Baptist? A bit more heavily represented in southern Missouri, perhaps. Missouri and southern Illinois tend to be a wide mix of Catholicism and a variety of Protestant faiths.

I do feel that a certain amount of close-mindedness to differing ideas is still endemic to the area. It is one of several reasons that I would not consider returning.

Baptist? A bit more heavily represented in southern Missouri, perhaps. Missouri and southern Illinois tend to be a wide mix of Catholicism and a variety of Protestant faiths.

I am guilty of some oversimplification. As you mentioned, there are a wide variety of Protestant denominations, but the evangelical varieties seem to dominate. The main point of my comment is that religion (of the evangelical Christian variety) has role in society there that is typically more pervasive than on the coasts. People are much more open in talking about their faith. One of the early questions people will often ask a newcomer to the area is "Have you found a church yet?" That could make some people uncomfortable if they are not accustomed to it.

One of the early questions people will often ask a newcomer to the area is "Have you found a church yet?" That could make some people uncomfortable if they are not accustomed to it.

Don't know about St. Louie but at the other end (greater Kansas City) got the welcome tray with actual neighbors home cooked goodies (not a real estate agent ) and the gentle recruitment for 'my church' - 'only if you're interested of course.'

Like all bigger metro areas in the US I suspect you can find a wide variety - just try not to pick ones like Kansas City SWAT shown on cable tv.

heh heh heh

oliverdickens, I grew up in Columbia. Darn nice town.

I assume you're in the area now and are familiar with the climate? I know we're all different in our tastes, but Missouri is misery to me.

Coach

I am guilty of some oversimplification. As you mentioned, there are a wide variety of Protestant denominations, but the evangelical varieties seem to dominate. The main point of my comment is that religion (of the evangelical Christian variety) has role in society there that is typically more pervasive than on the coasts. People are much more open in talking about their faith. One of the early questions people will often ask a newcomer to the area is "Have you found a church yet?" That could make some people uncomfortable if they are not accustomed to it.

I'll certainly agree with you on this. It doesn't so much matter which denomination church you go to, but you'd better be going to one.

I'd forgotten how much this is brought up in normal conversation.

I lived in Lake St. Louis from 1987 to 2001. I moved in order to be closer to the wifes job. The lakes only cover around 700 acres and you are limited on your boat size. I think its something like 21' and a 6 cylinder motor.

It's a nice town and their really isn't a "bad part of town".

$300k to $400k will buy you a very nice home in the O'fallon, Lake St. Louis area. Go alittle farther out from St. Louis and things generally get cheaper. I currently live about 15 miles north of St. Charles but we are thinking of moving into the Augusta, St. Charles, or Wildwood area to be closer to town and the golf clubs.

If you are willing to be outside of the city proper, check out Lake of Egypt in Carlysle, Illinois. About 90 min outside St. Louis. Under $300k will get you a very nice house on the lake with boat dock. Tracy

My daughter and her husband live in Wentzville and they love it. They are in one of rapidly growing subdivisions in the area. I've visited there and it's a lot less congested than Houston. Of course, anyone that "retires to Houston" is nuts although I do know one couple moving from Pennsylvania to here -- the attraction of grandbabies.

I'm hijacking this thread a bit to encourage comments in a thread I'm starting on SW Mo and NW Ar. I'd like any comments anyone has.

I lived in south St Louis for four years back in the mid-'80s. To me St Louis has a good bit of "life" about it. The city has local taverns on many corners, the brewery, the Arch, the river, a baseball team, a MUCH better football team now, a ton of history.

The climate was subject to extremes though. 14 below one winter. 100+ in the summers. Humid.

The other huge problem for me was, as a geologist, knowing about the New Madrid Fault. Then combining that with the huge number of old brick buildings in the city.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom