Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

State-to-state migration patterns
Old 01-13-2014, 07:30 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

State-to-state migration patterns

This is a fascinating interactive site illustrating state-to-state migration patterns. In some cases it is pretty funny. Check out Maine.

Restless America: state-to-state migration in 2012 | vizynary
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2014, 08:25 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Love it!
Old 01-14-2014, 11:13 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

The migration from MD to NC, which seems odd on its face, probably consists largely of Federal and military retirees whose pensions and TSP distributions are tax-free under the Bailey decision. They don't want to go somewhere flat and boring, and want to stay in relatively temperate climates. Some may also be going for jobs in the Research Triangle.

Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:40 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I was surprised the see the influx from Minnesota to North Dakota. We have an oil boom going on in North Dakota where high school kids are making $15 per hour flipping burgers at McDonalds in some wester ND communities. Sometimes the McDonalds is closed because they cannot find any workers to keep the place staffed. if you want a job in the oil field, this is the place to go!
Dcharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:03 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Cool graphic, thanks!

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:12 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcharles View Post
I was surprised the see the influx from Minnesota to North Dakota. We have an oil boom going on in North Dakota where high school kids are making $15 per hour flipping burgers at McDonalds in some wester ND communities. Sometimes the McDonalds is closed because they cannot find any workers to keep the place staffed. if you want a job in the oil field, this is the place to go!
I guess so, if one enjoys frostbite, hypothermia, engine block heaters, snow, ice, and bulking up with layer upon layer of clothes.

I'd take the rattlesnakes and scorpions of Texas over those conditions. When I first retired I was looking at Census Bureau data to find the state with the lowest population per square mile. That state was North Dakota. NOAA's climate data showed there is good reason for that. There is not enough money in the world to make me suffer through those conditions:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dickenson.JPG (117.4 KB, 23 views)
Old 01-21-2014, 08:34 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I visit family in North Dakota every year or two, and I'm struck by two things:

When we get together for breakfast at the local Perkins, five minutes seldom pass before someone walks in, sees our group and comes over to say hello and chat with my hometown relatives. I don't think I've ever seen such a tight community.

On the highway, when approaching construction lane closures, people shift quickly to the open lane so that congestion at the merging point is minimal. We drove through a big road work project in Fargo a few years back and I was amazed at how smoothly the traffic flowed.

In short, I find North Dakotans to be friendly, polite and considerate. I hope prosperity doesn't change that too much.
Mr._Graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:42 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Interesting. Thanks for posting this.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:29 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Ha! yes, North Dakota can be chilly, but it is home with family which warms the soul! However, the state is changing very fast and I am afraid not always for the best. We never locked our house and many times left my car keys in the ignition as nobody would be dumb enough to break in and steal things. Those days are quickly starting to slip away as we have an increasing population of folks who don't have the same values.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:24 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

How do they treat newcomers who aren't "family" and don't have the same traditions? (Never mind "values," such as not stealing....I think we can all agree nobody wants thieves moving in).

The big emphasis on "family" and "close-knit community" sometimes ends up looking an awful like "we wuz here first."

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._Graybeard View Post
I visit family in North Dakota every year or two, and I'm struck by two things:

When we get together for breakfast at the local Perkins, five minutes seldom pass before someone walks in, sees our group and comes over to say hello and chat with my hometown relatives. I don't think I've ever seen such a tight community.

On the highway, when approaching construction lane closures, people shift quickly to the open lane so that congestion at the merging point is minimal. We drove through a big road work project in Fargo a few years back and I was amazed at how smoothly the traffic flowed.

In short, I find North Dakotans to be friendly, polite and considerate. I hope prosperity doesn't change that too much.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:56 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
How do they treat newcomers who aren't "family" and don't have the same traditions? (Never mind "values," such as not stealing....I think we can all agree nobody wants thieves moving in).

The big emphasis on "family" and "close-knit community" sometimes ends up looking an awful like "we wuz here first."

Amethyst

Good question Amethyst. I think it depends on the size of the town. Small town culture is more clickish, but by and large, most are open to outsiders. We had a Kook move into a small town last year who is a Neo Nazi who bought up the town lots and wanted to take over the town. He and his ilk were walking the streets carrying guns to show their seriousness. The Sheriff finally came to town and locked him up. It was for his own safety as the locals would take care of the problem if he pushed any further. We do see the drug traffic increasing with the oil boom and thousands of singles living in Man Camps, in their trucks or where ever. It's OK to have the people coming in with their families as that is a good thing. Out heritage and old cultures will quickly fade away which isn't all bad. When some folks take advantage of the situation, then it isn't so good.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:23 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
We get that sense somewhat often, but not enough that it is an issue. Most of the ire is directed at those who don't register their vehicles in WV because WV has a personal property tax that includes vehicles. I don't mind it because the overall tax burden is almost half of MD where we moved from.

I would think the "We wuz here first" attitude is more prevalent in the southern part of the state where if your great-grandfather didn't work in the coal mines you're a a "new guy".
Old 01-22-2014, 01:04 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I enjoyed playing with the map. For the most part, there weren't too many surprises. One might expect that folks would tend to move from colder to warmer and from "rust" belt to sun belt, given the opportunity. The major "surprises" like California weren't really a surprise to me as, just reading the news about crime, taxes, regulations, lack of j*b opportunities, politics, utilities, etc., could explain net movement away.

On the surface, the movement away from Hawaii (55K vs 61K) might seem strange based on Hawaii's image as Paradise (I'm sure I've done my part to enhance that image, heh, heh.) Still, as a relative new comer, there are a number of issues which the typical tourist does not see. J*b opportunities are probably key. While many j*bs in Hawaii are well paid (union effect in many cases) these j*bs don't open up very often and (as stated elsewhere) they are usually only (unofficially) available to kamaaina (primarily, those born here).

High tech j*bs are difficult to wait for. What does one do to pay the rent when waiting for a high-skill, university-degree-intensive j*b to open up? Due to many reasons, Hawaii j*bs are primarily split between "good" j*bs (full time, reasonably well paying) and "poor" j*bs (minimum wage and/or low hours - requiring 2 or 3 part time j*bs to subsist.)

Probably the second most important reason folks leave is the relatively "foreign" culture of the place. "This is the US, but it ain't America" is what I usually say to describe the culture. I personally like the culture (quite Asian but a true "fusion" in general) but it isn't for everyone. Obviously, YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:33 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Not since the 1930's has North Dakota seen such a surge in growth the past few years. It is crazy how fast it is growing. I hope it will slow down soon as it will become crowded by our standards very soon,