Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-30-2020, 04:29 PM   #21

I used to sometimes think about getting a job. Then I'd go lie down until I felt better. That resolved the issue.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2020, 07:48 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
If you want to work, get a job.
Okay, I wasn't going to say it quite that "crudely" (sorry RobbieB - we love ya!) What I would say is DO what you want to do with your retirement. IF that means you take a j*B, then, so be it.

Some like to collect stamps, some want to golf, my dad only wanted to w*rk. I'd suggested that he get a charity gig. But he wanted to be paid. He ended up being a night watchman and he loved it! He didn't need the money and it was (to me) a horrible job. He had to watch a group of kids in a semi-lock-down unit. The boys and girls were constantly trying to get out and see each other. SO, he mopped the halls between the two dorms. Everyone loved him and respected him, but he laid down the law and wouldn't let the occasional trouble maker back him down (at age 77+).

So, again, DO what you like to do - paid or not, w*rk or play. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 09:59 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

If you are bored, and your megacorp has cool projects now and would take you back to work remotely on them, give it a shot. Worst case, you can't stand it or hack it or both, and you lose the job and go back to being retired. You really don't need to maintain a professional reputation if you can afford to be done.
Retch The Grate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 03:49 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plantman View Post
I think about going back to work on occasion, however I don't know of any employers that would allow me to work only when the mood strikes me!
I don't think this way anymore, but early on in my ER I'd occasionally have a thought of some "occasional" w*rk. Then I'd realize I'd have to be on some sort of committed schedule, and more significantly the employer would probably expect me to w*rk the entire time I was on the clock. So, the thought of doing any labor would pass (start to finish, the process was probably 3 seconds).
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Staying Retired
Old 10-31-2020, 05:02 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Staying Retired

Sometimes I encounter situations where I can see so much potential for process improvement (systems engineering/IT/Database was my thing and I loved it) that I consider offering an unsolicited proposal to do so.

I’m the little Fargo robot Minsky chirping “I can help”

But as fun as exercising skills and creating order out of chaos was, I quickly recall the very difficult work of “building consensus” and “change agent”. Developing systems to solve problems was easy, solving people was hard, very hard.

And thus, just like that, I’m free of the inclination!
Old 10-31-2020, 05:36 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I have been offered two opportunities. One to do some manual repair work. I do this stuff as a volunteer, and a pro on the site liked my work and wanted to hire me occasionally. I considered but turned it down when dates and deadlines came into the discussion.

The other was at a big box store. In a rare moment, one of the workers was not too busy and we started talking. He was pretty sure I could be hired on the spot. But then he started bitching about his co-workers not showing up and the work load during covid, and how some took advantage of scheduling. So, aside from my worries about working in retail during covid, his bitching about others, and scheduling, reminded me why work sucks.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 06:07 AM   #27

One of my friends was an air traffic controller who was on duty when the twin towers went down. He says after that happened he took a hard look around and decided to hang it up. He retired sold his home and moved south. Spent 1st year building his new home, spent next year landscaping his new home, fishing, boating, & camping. Then he got bored and one day he was in a big box store that he frequented and the manager ask him if he would be interested in a part time job. He told him he might but only in the winter. They met his terms so he took it and so now he plays from April all summer & fall until after hunting season then he works parttime in winter some times 10 hrs. others 20 to 30 hrs. but he likes to get out of house and it allows him to do that too. He said he may not do it this year because of covid concerns. I have had opportunity to do the same but I'm not finished playing yet and not bored. Maybe someday it might change.
Venturer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 06:31 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venturer View Post
They met his terms so he took it and so now he plays from April all summer & fall until after hunting season then he works parttime in winter some times 10 hrs. others 20 to 30 hrs. but he likes to get out of house and it allows him to do that too. He said he may not do it this year because of covid concerns. I have had opportunity to do the same but I'm not finished playing yet and not bored. Maybe someday it might change.
My big box acquaintance was trying to sell me on the job by mentioning the "get out of the house" aspect for the newly retired. This is a bit appealing to me except during COVID times. And that's why the big boxes need people. A lot of them have retirees working who bailed due to COVID.

Although making a bit of money is nice, one problem is it complicates my Roth conversion strategy. But a few hundred a week probably won't matter much.

I have a friend who works for the #1 home big box. He 90% likes it. Very flexible hours for a part time worker. However, they have times (think about Christmas tree time) where they get put into forced scheduling. He does not like that.

Old 10-31-2020, 07:53 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retch The Grate View Post
If you are bored, and your megacorp has cool projects now and would take you back to work remotely on them, give it a shot. Worst case, you can't stand it or hack it or both, and you lose the job and go back to being retired. You really don't need to maintain a professional reputation if you can afford to be done.
Yeah, that is what happened. I was bored stuck at home and watching lot of TV due to COVID. Mega-corp called and offered me a 9 months gig work from remotely from home. Now, mega-corp wants to extend to the end of 2021 ...
neihn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 09:46 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

My plan was always to do seasonal tax work or maybe find some state tax projects. But after a few OMY's there is no need.

But I still want to execute "the plan" for some reason. I am seriously considering applying for a seasonal tax job. But I realize it will be un-fun having to get up early, go to an office, sit in a cube, report to a 30 year old and be the "old guy".

I get some ads and suggestions from folks for "highly visible" position with "growth opportunity" "path to partner! " and that just makes me recoil in horror.

I keep saying I'm not looking, but I listen.
Montecfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 12:39 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

When I get contacted by recruiters with interesting jobs, I tell them that unless I can (a) work less than 10 hours a week, (b) work from home, and (c) get the equivalent of $150/hr, I am not interested. So far that has kept them away... though a couple still wanted to interview me and keep my information "just in case" (HA!).

I have also decided, being in good physical health, than any job that has physical demands is not for me. I want to keep my physical health for enjoyable activities, I will not feel bad about getting hurt doing something I love . Last holiday season a store warehouse that one of our sons picked up a seasonal job for was interested in hiring me as well part time. I thought it would be cool working along with my son so the pay rate was not an issue, but it meant walking the equivalent of 7 miles during the day and lifting and moving things up to 50 pounds. I would rather do those things on a golf course or at the gym.
Old 10-31-2020, 03:32 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
The other was at a big box store. In a rare moment, one of the workers was not too busy and we started talking. He was pretty sure I could be hired on the spot.
I've thought about it in the distant past too. It wasn't dealing with co-workers that turned me off, it was dealing with the occasional asshat customer. Most people are fairly decent but there always one arrogant jerk who thinks the world revolves around them. I worked retail in high school/college and swore then "never again!"
Old 10-31-2020, 07:18 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

I tell everyone I have a pretty nice life now... golf when I want, go to the beach, fish, but the weather getting a little cooler in NE Florida -- so I've decided to take a 2 day gig at a local golf course. Be a ranger/starter, help with carts...get free golf, driving range and hopefully some lessons. I figure I'll do this for 6 months and see if I like it.
wyecrabber1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 09:49 AM   #34

I am not retired and doing my low-stress teaching job. The main reason that I am doing OMY is precisely that, once I fully retire, I will not work for any another job. Because I don't think there will be any real job in the world that will pay me as much and demand so little from me.
flyingaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 06:53 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I've thought about it in the distant past too. It wasn't dealing with co-workers that turned me off, it was dealing with the occasional asshat customer. Most people are fairly decent but there always one arrogant jerk who thinks the world revolves around them. I worked retail in high school/college and swore then "never again!"
Oh man, I keep forgetting about this! My retail experience has been limited. But, yeah, in retail you get it from both sides: management and customers. I tend to idealize the experience of *helping* customers. Well, some don't want help, they want to fight. Hey, and some retail workers want to fight too!

On our local neighborhood site, this just came up. It is the story from the customer side, but who knows what really happened? Just goes to show retail can be hell.
Quote:
Avoid the store [name redacted] at all costs .... The clerk told my husband he would meet him outside insinuating he wanted to fight him. ... etc.

Old 11-02-2020, 07:53 AM   #36
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venturer View Post
One of my friends was an air traffic controller who was on duty when the twin towers went down. He says after that happened he took a hard look around and decided to hang it up. He retired sold his home and moved south. Spent 1st year building his new home, spent next year landscaping his new home, fishing, boating, & camping. Then he got bored and one day he was in a big box store that he frequented and the manager ask him if he would be interested in a part time job. He told him he might but only in the winter. They met his terms so he took it and so now he plays from April all summer & fall until after hunting season then he works parttime in winter some times 10 hrs. others 20 to 30 hrs. but he likes to get out of house and it allows him to do that too. He said he may not do it this year because of covid concerns. I have had opportunity to do the same but I'm not finished playing yet and not bored. Maybe someday it might change.

I was kind of in that same position as your friend. I spent the first year of retirement finishing out my big detached garage, settling into the house and yard work. The second year (April through Nov) I decided to work 2 full days/week at a local auto parts store. For me it was mostly for getting out of the house and some interaction. This store serves mainly commercial customers and my main job was delivery driver around town. It was mindless, no stress, and of some interest to me with my old cars hobby. In fact I basically worked my way through college by working at auto parts store, so was pretty familiar with what I was getting into. I quit when DW and I decided to go south for winter with our motorhome. When we got back this year, everything had just shut down. So never went back to working this year. I don't think I will work in future either. My fear was being home all the time my old car hobby would start to feel like work if I was doing it too much. But that hasn't happened this year, there is plenty of variety of yard and house projects to keep busy between garage time.

So I understand the thought to work as something to do, even if you don't need the money. It can serve as a social outlet, a sense of structure, be something interesting for you, or just a change of scenery from staying home. I have a friend who is early retired and works at big home improvement store Mon-Fri mornings. He calls it his informal workout routine. Same for him, it is not work required for the money.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 08:15 AM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

If you go back to w*rk, then one year from now your doc gives you bad news, would you have regret regarding missed quality time with your new grandchild and generally enjoying the retirement you previously earned?
That's how I stay retired, and remaining thankful for the time I'm able to spend with my grandkids and enjoying life in general.

The need to provide value/feel productive is more than fulfilled by helping relatives maintain/update their homes.
NameTaken2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 10:04 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

I struggled with the same thing for a couple of years right after retiring. The "I could do that" is an old habit. I spent my entire adult life ensuring that I was an excellent candidate for lots of different types of jobs, so that I would never find myself unemployed for long if something happened (probably a result of being laid off from my first job along with 40% of the company - a complete surprise to all of us).

Anyway, I caught myself having these thoughts during the first couple of years of ER and consciously worked at extinguishing those thoughts. It took time to get it to stop, and it still tears it’s ugly head every once in a while. Now I love my retired life so much that it is easy to say "are you nuts?" to myself when it happens
Mantras: Carpe diem & Gratitude
PointBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 07:44 AM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

I found a job a few years ago that I could go back to work for. Documenting, photographing, gps locations of plants and animals in the Grand Canyon. For the Bureau of Land Management.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 07:54 AM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I found a job a few years ago that I could go back to work for. Documenting, photographing, gps locations of plants and animals in the Grand Canyon. For the Bureau of Land Management.
+1

I know a colleague who does similar work: doing raptor counts in remote areas. Other friends do flora and fauna sampling -- again in remote but geologically gorgeous areas -- for various state agencies. Most of that work is unpaid.

Many days, and certainly days like today, the concept of spending days in the wilderness -- away from people and society -- observing and thereafter documenting birds of prey or alpine flowers has significant appeal.
WyomingLife is offline   Reply With Quote