Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Steve Jobs' final words (?)
Old 01-11-2016, 03:22 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Steve Jobs' final words (?)

Someone posted on my FB page what purports to be some of the final words of Steve Jobs, related by one of his nurses. Obviously, I cannot vouch for the authenticity of this, but its message strikes a chord that should resonate with us FIRE types. Here, it is alleged, are some of the final words of Steve Jobs:

"At this time, lying on the hospital bed and remembering all my life, I realize that all the accolades and riches of which I was once so proud, have become insignificant with my imminent death.
In the dark, when I look at green lights, of the equipment for artificial respiration and feel the buzz of their mechanical sounds, I can feel the breath of my approaching death looming over me.
Only now do I understand that once you accumulate enough money for the rest of your life, you have to pursue objectives that are not related to wealth.
It should be something more important: God has made us one way, we can feel the love in the heart of each of us, and not illusions built by fame or money, like I made in my life, I cannot take them with me.
I can only take with me the memories that were strengthened by love.
This is the true wealth that will follow you; will accompany you, he will give strength and light to go ahead.
Love can travel thousands of miles and so life has no limits. Move to where you want to go. Strive to reach the goals you want to achieve. Everything is in your heart and in your hands.
What is the world's most expensive bed? The hospital bed.
You, if you have money, you can hire someone to drive your car, but you cannot hire someone to take your illness that is killing you.
Material things lost can be found. But one thing you can never find when you lose: life.
Whatever stage of life where we are right now, at the end we will have to face the day when the curtain falls.
Please treasure your family love, love for your spouse, love for your friends...
Treat everyone well and stay friendly with your neighbours."

For what it's worth ...
TimSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2016, 03:43 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

False.. The Pursuit of iHappiness : snopes.com
jetpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 03:46 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Not that the OP isn't inspiring and aren't words to live by, but Jobs's sister says his final words were "Oh, wow" repeated twice.

The Pursuit of iHappiness : snopes.com

Quote:
Although Steve Jobs passed away in 2011, the above-quoted essay didn't begin circulating online until November 2015, has not been published anywhere outside of unofficial social media accounts and low-traffic blogs, and has not been confirmed by anyone close to the founder of Apple.
Old 01-11-2016, 03:46 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I seriously doubt that the above are Steve Jobs' words. Who knows what he was thinking, but the recent book I read, Steve Jobs (2011) by Walter Isaacson who was sanctioned by Jobs to write his biography, did not have anything like this.

Quote:
Only now do I understand that once you accumulate enough money for the rest of your life, you have to pursue objectives that are not related to wealth
Jobs did pursue objectives other than wealth. He wanted to build the best gadgets, to do things no other companies have done. He was not in it just for the money, as many honcho guys in Silicon Valley. That's not my definition of a happy life, but it was for Jobs.

What do the dying think about? I don't know, but when each of us gets there, we will know. By the way, one time I told my boss that I wanted to travel when I was younger, because I did not want to regret it when I was on my deathbed. He shook his head and said that most dying people did not regret anything, and just wanted the pain to stop.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 03:47 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I'm sorry, but this one just bugs me for personal reasons. It's been showing up in various edited versions since last October.

http://www.snopes.com/steve-jobs-deathbed-speech/

It's not at all like something he would say.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 03:49 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

when it's all over, what are you going to regret more - not w*rking harder or not spending more time with your family and friends (or golfing or whatever)?
Old 01-11-2016, 03:52 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for clearing that up. My skepticism was correct, and the message stands or falls without the endorsement of Mr. Jobs.
TimSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 04:02 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I would say that Jobs would not regret much. In his early life he mistreated his family, but later he did make amends.

If Jobs had a life like mine, he would be very unhappy. His definition of happiness is not the same as mine, and he did achieve his objectives.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 04:35 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

More likely expressed remorse at not getting to ride his megayacht, then making some unintelligible noises before exiting. Probably passing gas as well.

IMHO it is like with most really good stuff: Those who really know don't tell, those who tell don't know.
Old 01-11-2016, 05:16 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
I'm sorry, but this one just bugs me for personal reasons. It's been showing up in various edited versions since last October.

It's not at all like something he would say.
It annoys me that people make up these lies and try to pass them off as truth. I guess it keeps Snopes busy, but it is an insult to everyone else's intelligence.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 05:16 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Doesn't read like Steve Jobs. Here are inspirational words by Steve Jobs, many found his Stanford Commencement Speech inspiring: Text of Steve Jobs' Commencement address (2005)
Old 01-11-2016, 05:17 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
It annoys me that people make up these lies and try to pass them off as truth. I guess it keeps Snopes busy, but it is an insult to everyone else's intelligence.
Me too! But it's so prevalent, and people just eat it up, share, whatever. So no wonder it persists.
Old 01-11-2016, 05:23 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post

It's not at all like something Jobs would say.
+1. I knew it wasn't something he would say as soon as I got to the fourth sentence (and stopped reading there).

Reminds me of the Dalai Lama quote that keeps showing up, even here. Obviously not him.

And I haven't studied either of them at length...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 06:18 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Doesn't read like Steve Jobs. Here are inspirational words by Steve Jobs, many found his Stanford Commencement Speech inspiring: Text of Steve Jobs' Commencement address (2005)
Thanks for the link. That was good reading.
Jerry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 09:39 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Yep, and that was a lot of talking for a dying man, that alone made it seem odd. Aren't the death scenes in operas like that - the soprano is dying for 4 minutes, and manages to hit all the high notes, while she's doing it!

But this is real life (death).

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Yes, I've read that before, and that is one inspirational speech. (and I'm not a fan of 'inspirational' speeches, almost all are far too sappy/obvious for my tastes)

And it really happened!

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 10:40 PM   #16
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This smacks of the so called Bill Gates commencement speech that he NEVER made.
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 05:47 AM   #17
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
IMHO it is like with most really good stuff: Those who really know don't tell, those who tell don't know.

That is a powerful statement. And so true.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 12:52 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
This smacks of the so called Bill Gates commencement speech that he NEVER made.

Gates spoke at Harvard's commencement in 2007, and together with wife Melinda at Stanford's in 2014. I haven't heard the 2014 speech, but the 2007 speech was quite good.
Pbkmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 02:50 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

"Rosebud"
Shanky is offline   Reply With Quote