Strongest FIRE / Mustachian communities in the US?

QoL is so subjective. Some people are happy in super low CoL places largely because that's what they're used to. Others (myself included) would rather live in a high CoL place (with a paid off house). For me - temperate weather (low humidity, moderate climate) is important. For others a QoL decision might be based on how close family is. High quality of life is such a subjective thing.

now CoL is objective - there are plenty of lists out there for low cost of living places to retire.
I am with you, Rodi. PLUS 3 of our 4 sons live in the same county as we do.

Why is Texas a terrible place to FIRE. I am already FIREd, but I am considering a winter home in Austin. Do you know specific problems that I need to know about.

Wow, what a set-up!

It has been almost five years since I last posted this, but since you asked...

Texas is infested with scorpions, rattlesnakes, fire ants, crazy raspberry ants, cockroaches on steroids, killer bees, mosquitoes, ticks, chiggers, tarantulas, brown recluse spiders, love bugs, swarming crickets, copperheads, cottonmouths, rabid skunks, wild hogs, alligators, oppressive heat & humidity, bleak desolate scenery, dirty beaches, polluted air, dust storms, drought, wildfires, water shortages, recurring floods, tornadoes, hurricanes, rednecks, huge piles of flaming mulch, spontaneously combusting playgrounds, roads hot as flowing lava, the stench of natural and unnatural gasses, pirate attacks and amoebic meningitis lurking in area lakes, recurring ebola virus outbreaks, flesh eating bacteria, the highest homeowner insurance rates in the US, unbelievably high property taxes, mind-numbing traffic jams, mandatory death sentences for DUI convictions, polygamous religious sects, and, lest we forget, doesn't look kindly towards Yankees (per Orchidflower).

There are many early and very early retirees in The Villages, FL.

The CoL is low and there is so much to do for free that the “Entertainment” cost is low as well.

What is super surprising in today’s Covid world is that we only have 72 cases out of 120k people. One theory being bounced around is that even though the average age is a risk factor the population is healthier than most for their age.

Will be interesting to see how many actually had it if antibody testing becomes prevalent.
Maybe if all the socializing is happening out of doors, the environment is unfriendly to transmission.

Wow, what a set-up!

Texas is infested with scorpions, rattlesnakes, fire ants, crazy raspberry ants, cockroaches on steroids, killer bees, mosquitoes, ticks, chiggers, tarantulas, brown recluse spiders, love bugs, swarming crickets, copperheads, cottonmouths, rabid skunks, wild hogs, alligators, oppressive heat & humidity, bleak desolate scenery, dirty beaches, polluted air, dust storms, drought, wildfires, water shortages, recurring floods, tornadoes, hurricanes, rednecks, huge piles of flaming mulch, spontaneously combusting playgrounds, roads hot as flowing lava, the stench of natural and unnatural gasses, pirate attacks and amoebic meningitis lurking in area lakes, recurring ebola virus outbreaks, flesh eating bacteria, the highest homeowner insurance rates in the US, unbelievably high property taxes, mind-numbing traffic jams, mandatory death sentences for DUI convictions, polygamous religious sects, and, lest we forget, doesn't look kindly towards Yankees (per Orchidflower).

You forgot to add caliche.

Why is Texas a terrible place to FIRE. I am already FIREd, but I am considering a winter home in Austin. Do you know specific problems that I need to know about.
You should absolutely go to Austin... just stay out of Houston.

Wow, what a set-up!

Sounds like it would be a great compliment to my summers in Chicago.:dance:

Agree, do not retire in Arizona. We have so many venomous creatures; brown recluses, gila monsters, mojave green rattlesnakes (look that one up), etc., that survival day-to-day is tenuous at best.

Yeah but they do not have the blood sucking municipalities with their near lethal property tax rates native to Texas!

Full disclosure: have lived both places before settling in [Mod Edit] Virginia

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, what a set-up!

:D :D :LOL::LOL: :dance::dance:

Hurricane a few years ago Ki-boshed our annual Port Aransas spot and the current Covid caused DW to cancel South Padre VRBO not to mention our annual visit to 'Winter Texans aka Kansas refugees' in Mission.

Heh heh heh - past history of driving in/near Houston over the decades I lived in New Orleans will trigger my 'vocabulary.' I loved the old slogan - Don't Mess with Texas. :cool:

Where are the places in the US with the strongest FIRE communities (and similarly the best CoL / QoL conditions to support them)?...
Hawaii?
I'm pretty sure that Hawaii is not a hot spot for FIRE communities. We are a hot spot for wealthy retirees, but due to the cost of living, most folks who retire early can't afford to live here. There are some leasehold properties that can be purchased inexpensively.

However, what we're seeing in Honolulu is the construction of many massive luxury high-rise condo towers. If you have $900K-$2.5M+ to spend on a condo, $1K+ for property taxes, $500-$1500/mo for electricity, and $1,500+ per month to pay the association fees, you too, can live in urban Honolulu in a fancy high-rise tower. Some of these towers are really nice, with infinity pools...

Back
Top Bottom