Strongest FIRE / Mustachian communities in the US?

tpac

Dryer sheet aficionado
Where are the places in the US with the strongest FIRE communities (and similarly the best CoL / QoL conditions to support them)? I've seen lots of talk of northern and western Colorado, but not much chatter about other locales.

Any strong communities in northern California?

The Pacific Northwest?

The Mid-Atlantic?

Hawaii?

The strongest FIRE community is right here in cyberspace.

The strongest FIRE community is right here in cyberspace.

+1

Physical FIRE communities don't exist in the real world, at least not to my knowledge. I can't see any group of FIRE-minded people agreeing on any specific location or even any geographic region to put down stakes - too darned independent. :)

Certainly not around here where I live. Unless more people than I am aware of are stealthy like me :)

Last edited:
You might google up Co-housing communities. They tend to be inhabited by LBYM minded folks (and also left-leaning professionals).

I understand that Texas is a terrible place to FIRE.

Somehow our little no outlet street (in Texas) is mostly populated with retired couples many of whom FIRE’d before 60. It wasn’t planned but it’s been nice to socialize with neighbors with similar lifestyles. At least it was before the virus. ��

QoL is so subjective. Some people are happy in super low CoL places largely because that's what they're used to. Others (myself included) would rather live in a high CoL place (with a paid off house). For me - temperate weather (low humidity, moderate climate) is important. For others a QoL decision might be based on how close family is. High quality of life is such a subjective thing.

now CoL is objective - there are plenty of lists out there for low cost of living places to retire.

The FIRE community is not a place, it is a state of mind. We are everywhere and nowhere.

...hang out here long enough and you might not want many of us as neighbors

There are many early and very early retirees in The Villages, FL.

The CoL is low and there is so much to do for free that the “Entertainment” cost is low as well.

What is super surprising in today’s Covid world is that we only have 72 cases out of 120k people. One theory being bounced around is that even though the average age is a risk factor the population is healthier than most for their age.

Will be interesting to see how many actually had it if antibody testing becomes prevalent.

There are many early and very early retirees in The Villages, FL.

The CoL is low and there is so much to do for free that the “Entertainment” cost is low as well.

What is super surprising in today’s Covid world is that we only have 72 cases out of 120k people. One theory being bounced around is that even though the average age is a risk factor the population is healthier than most for their age.

Will be interesting to see how many actually had it if antibody testing becomes prevalent.

The Villages stats could be interesting over time.
Do any of the 72 folks wear gold shoes?:D

And Arizona is nothing but snakes and scorpions!

To be fair, there are also javelinas....and coyotes...and feral burros.

(Disclosure...I love Arizona.)

Agree, do not retire in Arizona. We have so many venomous creatures; brown recluses, gila monsters, mojave green rattlesnakes (look that one up), etc., that survival day-to-day is tenuous at best.

Last edited:
Agree, do not retire in Arizona. We have so many venomous creatures; brown recluses, gila monsters, mojave green rattlesnakes (look that one up), etc., that survival day-to-day to tenuous at best.

Yup...Arizona is fierce....why, it's almost 1/50th as dangerous as Australia. :LOL:

I wouldn't want to belong to any FIRE community that would have me as a member.

To be fair, there are also javelinas....and coyotes...and feral burros.

(Disclosure...I love Arizona.)

Oatman is overrun! And Quartzsite is surrounded by the boondockers!

I understand that Texas is a terrible place to FIRE.

Why is Texas a terrible place to FIRE. I am already FIREd, but I am considering a winter home in Austin. Do you know specific problems that I need to know about.

And Quartzsite is surrounded by the boondockers!

Aw Geez...I recall being in Quartzsite about 22 years ago......it took about 15 minutes to get through the intersection....what a zoo.....population must've gone from about 300 to 1,000,000. :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom