Sunday Evenings in Retirement

Sunday evenings are like any other evening. Sometimes I have a "To Do" list for Monday, things that can't be done on Sunday. When I was w*rking, I was on call many, many weekends, so Sunday meant that the end of my shift was that much closer.

Typical Sunday evening, I guess the kids have school tomorrow and I'll check work email after they are in bed to avoid surprises on a Monday morning. Not FIRE'd, it's ok tho as I updated my numbers during this long weekend, looking very reasonable.

My anxiety level would start going up around 5:00 Sunday night anticipating all the cr*p I had to deal with the minute I got to the office. This alone could be the greatest part of retirement. However basically not caring what day of the week it is and not being in a hurry are close #2 and 3.

It's one of the things I'm looking fowrward to.

Sunday evenings - remind my daughters that they have school tomorrow and make sure I know what I will be doing on Monday (I don't like having nothing on the to do list).

First Monday of retirement--Sunday anxieties were no longer there--had a wonderful nights sleep. Didn't't take me long to get into this retirement mode!

I prefer Tue & Thur as I have to get up at 7:45 am M,W,F to have breakfast with our expat group. Even when I was working I rarely got up before 8 am. DW on the other hand has trained her boss to not send her driver until 9:30 am.

I have been retired for about five months. I too, hated Sunday evenings. Now, they are great! I still get up at 6:00 daily to see the wife off to w%@k. After that, it is coffee, the news , and puttering about the house.
Retirement is wonderful!

P.S. Funny. I also got depressed hearing the ticking of 60 minutes, signaling the end of the weekend.

Ah...Sunday evenings...they are truly great now. I am now a little over 2 years since retiring and I can say that one of the best parts is Sunday night and Monday. As I enjoyed my coffee this AM, I turned on the local news just to take a gander at the morning commute and as expected, it was terrible. And it brought a slight smile to my face. ;)

I especially enjoy it since many of the folks that have been off for the last 4 or 5 days have had to go back to w*rk and now I can now go out and about and not worry about the masses of people getting in my way.

And how about something else that is a bonus of being retired? Do you remember while w*rking how terrible it was that the Super Bowl was on a Sunday? Or that the BCS Championship is on a Monday? (And how stupid is that, anyway?!?) Well...now, that doesn't matter...not at all.

Oh, and the clock mentioned before? Yeah, I have one. I use it primarily to know when trash day is!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    423 KB · Views: 28
Sunday evenings no longer bother me. I go to bed early...wake up at 430am and head to the gym...then I eventually make my way to the office and browse the interwebs and youtube until I get to leave. No complaints here!

Yes, for sure. Especially early in ER. The effect gradually wears off though. Now the day of the week doesn't matter much at all. I guess one thing is that there is more interesting news on the internet during the week. Sunday is great for sports and other good TV though.

Sunday evenings are like every other evening. But I go to bed early so that I can get up in time to take the garbage out for early Monday morning pickup.

+1
In retirement, Sunday is just another day, that is if you don't forget which day it is entirely, which I do at times.

+1
In retirement, Sunday is just another day, that is if you don't forget which day it is entirely, which I do at times.
Not for me. I stay home on the weekends as much as possible. Ditto with rush hour during the week.

Not for me. I stay home on the weekends as much as possible. Ditto with rush hour during the week.

That's an interesting point but I really haven't had to change my habits since retiring. I can still do errands early mornings to minimize hassle as I've always done.

In Los Angeles, weekday traffic is no different than weekends as there is no such thing as non-rush hour traffic or crowds. At most, you might notice a slight though negligible difference.

Especially when the Denver Broncos are playing the Sunday evening game!

Sorry for your loss.

(Could not help myself. One heck of a game.):D

I never got the Sunday night panic attacks, when the alarm went off Monday morning different story.

Last edited:
When I first retired, I also loved watching the Monday morning traffic report on TV.

But now, I sleep later and don't even see it. :D

Same here, I always wanted to do a Nelson:

At the risk of a little hijacking but in the same interest of this thread, after I retired a few years back I was always trying to explain my answer to the constant question, what do you do now that your retired? It has become such an easy answer over time.....whatever I want whenever I want.

Pretty jealous having not retired yet.
I generally try to avoid certain activities in the evening when there's work the next day. I'm so looking forward to not having to worry about work the next day.

Well, my Sunday night "not lookin' forward to Monday" feeling was justified. Work crisis kept me in the office til 10:15 pm tonight. That does not happen often, but when it does... Got a cab home and ate dinner at 10:50 pm. Gotta get to sleep pretty soon so I can get up at 6:45 am. Later this week, a two day business trip, with a long flight.

Just sayin this so those of you who are retired can feel (even) better about your decision!

(Strange thing is I have more than enough money to retire. I just can't quite bring myself to do it. So I have only myself to blame, I suppose).

Back
Top Bottom