Join Early Retirement Today

Sunday night gratitude
Old 07-11-2021, 07:41 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sunday night gratitude

Just sitting here thinking back on when I was working Sunday nights were simply horrendous. I actually didn't "hate" my job , but the Sunday night dread of the week ahead--the awful small talk in the elevator on Monday morning " how was your weekend" , the boss and his "anything big coming up this week". The communal bathroom stalls , OMG ugh! List goes on and on.

Oh man, I'm sitting here yet also cringing on how that would feel.

Immensely grateful that I planned right, got lucky, whatever.....I'm just so damn happy I'm not having to work any longer.

“The most important quality for an investor is temperament, not intellect.”—Warren Buffett
FREE866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2021, 07:43 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Agreed!

Even almost 22 years later!
Old 07-11-2021, 08:02 PM   #3

I love coming home Sunday afternoon from a day of kayaking or biking, having a refreshing glass of beer or cold sweet wine and settling in with some good food to watch a movie, knowing I can sleep as long as I want in the morning, then linger over morning coffee!
O2Bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 08:12 PM   #4

Is it Sunday?
Old 07-11-2021, 08:13 PM   #5

I'm sort of there, but not quite at the finish line yet. But, here it is almost 10 pm Sunday night (it will be after that by the time I'm done writing and actually post this, most likely) and honestly I'm not even thinking about work tomorrow!

It's partly because I've been working from home now for almost 16 months, and my monthly routine is predictable enough that I know there's really nothing major going tomorrow. I used to daydream about working from home, and thinking about how awesome it would be, but once it became a reality, it wasn't quite the Sham-bala I thought it would be. But, I settled into it and got used to it. And, managed to hit what I'm pretty sure is my FI number back in February of 2020. COVID took care of that for a bit, but it came back faster than I thought it would.

I do go through my highs and lows with work. I think part of the problem is that I'm really coming to terms with the fact that I don't really need it anymore, so on the bad days I'm tempted to quit, and get the annoyance out of my life, and my mind makes it out to be worse than it really is. But then there's the good days, where it feels like I'm being paid to be on vacation, almost.

But, I'm sitting here with what's probably one Yuengling too many, with a slight buzz going on, and really do feel like I don't have a care in the world. Yep, I'm grateful. I'll be even more grateful, once I'm fully retired, but for now, being stuck in a sort of limbo, is still a pretty nice place to be.
Andre1969 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 08:42 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by doneat54 View Post
Is it Sunday?
I like that! Lol

I often have to really think what day it is also. Free as a bird and I dislike any schedule at all anymore.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 08:48 PM   #7

My transition to retirement mode wasn’t bad at all. However, it did take a few months to get used to Sunday/Monday’s. Sunday night used to be the time went all the execs would do their emails and that pretty much set the focus for Sunday night and Monday morning. I hated it.

At this point? We’ll just look at my signature line
Old 07-11-2021, 09:06 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Reminded me of this.... https://youtu.be/zhfpBW-nUWk

(wish I could embed the video, couldn't find a way).

Oh and given that it's early July already, I had to update my signature line before posting this
Old 07-11-2021, 09:59 PM   #9

I am looking forward to tomorrow because I have to go to the hardware store, and it won't be as crowded!
Old 07-12-2021, 06:04 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

The Sunday night blues. The dread is thick.
Actually, I start getting them Sunday at about noon.
Not much longer for me!
Kook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 06:38 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Almost 4 years of retirement and still in the retirement honeymoon phase. Stayed out relatively late last night and thought wow don't have to think about Monday morning, although I am coz we are going on a boat parade today to celebrate the Tampa Bay hockey team.
Just another day in the new "office".
Old 07-12-2021, 06:47 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
I often have to really think what day it is also.
I have that issue now... 12 hour shifts, rotate days and nights...
Go to work on monday, come home its tuesday, sleep, get up and its still tuesday...
Told the wife I may try a 9-5 M-F job for a few months to see if I can fix my internal clock....5 Mo, 4 Days to go
Old 07-12-2021, 07:39 AM   #13

One of the best Sunday night/Monday morning benefits in retirement: it started raining really hard during the wee hours last night and continued through the AM:
- when I heard it during the wee hours I sleepily thought, “I don’t have to go to w ore in the morning.”
- woke up at my normal time, heard the still heavy rain, rolled over and went back to sleep
- don’t have to commute to work on roads that are always busy but much worse when it’s pouring
- don’t have to leave the house at all today - no errands that can’t wait
Old 07-12-2021, 08:17 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

I have a bit less than a year to go, so I still have the Sunday afternoon dread that sets in as a lot of communications always come early Monday. I often look back at how the work "week" has changed over the last 38 years. It's shifted, as many here have experienced, from a desk phone, maybe with voicemail, if not then post-it notes, and a daily courier bag with a few printed memos to a 7 day a week, cell phone calls/voicemails/texts, 24/7 email, laptop on VPN marathon that is almost seamless to the point of never feeling like you are "away". I can only imagine the feeling of not being able to be "reached" after retirement. Very much looking forward to this change and not thinking it will take me long to adjust, I'm ready!
SD-455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 09:07 AM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969 View Post

I do go through my highs and lows with work. I think part of the problem is that I'm really coming to terms with the fact that I don't really need it anymore, so on the bad days I'm tempted to quit, and get the annoyance out of my life, and my mind makes it out to be worse than it really is. But then there's the good days, where it feels like I'm being paid to be on vacation, almost.

Ditto. If I can continue to work at home maybe 4x a week, and without having any other truly grand retirement plans, I feel kind of silly thinking about ditching the paycheck. Then again, it would be nice to be truly unshackled.
googily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 09:09 AM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post

I often have to really think what day it is also.
That's what the pillbox is for.
googily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 09:49 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Many of my Sunday nights when working -including the last Sunday night before I retired - were spent traveling to a destination where I was needed for an early Monday morning meeting. I can remember waking up at 5 or 6 am on Monday and needing a few seconds to remember "okay, what city is this?" I do not miss those days.
Old 07-12-2021, 09:57 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

No more dreaded tick tick tick of the 60 Minutes clock! Man, I got to hate that sound, so much so that I stopped watching the show the last year of work--
Old 07-12-2021, 10:29 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
Many of my Sunday nights when working -including the last Sunday night before I retired - were spent traveling to a destination where I was needed for an early Monday morning meeting. I can remember waking up at 5 or 6 am on Monday and needing a few seconds to remember "okay, what city is this?" I do not miss those days.

Ha! This is me, too! I often wake up in a hotel room trying to recollect what city I am in. On top of that, last week I was in a different hotel room every night for three nights. On the third night I woke up to go to the bathroom and turned left - right into the wall! Ouch. The night before the bathroom had been on the left.
Kook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 11:01 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I remember the Sunday night blues. Actually, mine was more like the Sunday evening blues. I didn't know it was Sunday until I read this thread. I don't get the highs I used to feel on Fridays, but that's OK, I guess.
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote