Join Early Retirement Today

T+4 Month Report
Old 09-14-2012, 08:26 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

T+4 Month Report

It has been 4 months since I left megacorp. Wow, I had no idea it would be this good. The first weekend after I left, I felt a little sad. The first Monday morning when the alarm didn't go off at 0500, I didn't feel sad anymore. Since then, I have found an incredible level of freedom that I didn't know existed. I am far more relaxed. The stress meter is almost pegged on zero. Given the differences in the before versus after stress level, it is clear, the before was unhealthy. Breakfast is now a much more leisurely affair where I get to read the newspaper from front to back (although the news does generally seem depressing) instead of wolfing my food down in the previously allotted seven minutes. I now exercise on a far more regular basis. I have put in nearly 40 days of fishing and diving. I have attended a number of family events, taken four vacation trips (although, technically they are no longer "vacations"). I discovered vacation schedules no longer have to be rigid, if you want to stay an extra day or two, so what. I found I have next door neighbors. Talked to three of them more in the past 4 months than in the previous 25 years. When friends ask if I want to go do something, the answer is almost immediately yes (unless there is a previous commitment). Only "problem" I found is my schedule has filled up fast. One good piece of advice I received, was to get a bigger refrigerator calendar to keep track of all of my commitments. Hanging out with friends and family has been pretty darn good. I can see that I have missed out on a lot by working so much. Not anymore. I left work with no real structured plan of what I was going to do. I found the plan is just writing itself. The days just fill up with things to do.

I also get to spend more time at home than ever before. I enjoy working in the shop. I have been able to finish a number of projects that have hung around for years (or shamefully, decades). I find I now clean, oil and/or sharpen my tools at the end of every day. I am able to spend a lot more time on detail that I never would have in the past. The cars are washed on a regular basis instead of annually. I have also discovered the sinful pleasure of the afternoon nap. I don't do it often, but on the days I do, it feels great.

When I left megacorp, I had every intention of going back to work part time, and now after just 4 months of tasting freedom, I have my doubts. I have been able to keep up with the gossip from work from my friends that are still employed (left in bondage). It is funny, that some of the things that I thought seemed so important a few months ago, seem so trivial from the outside looking in. With the way the employees are treated, the petty rules, and the prevalent ego trip management styles, I can see if I went back, I would be let go for insubordination pretty quick. When I looked at consulting and the need for liability insurance, it did not seem to be worth the risk at this point. If I feel the need to work for money in the future, I will probably do contract work. My boss and a few of my coworkers have called me a couple of times for advice and council and I was more more than happy to help. And as often before, the right thing to do is always too hard to do. In two cases, the project instructions when I left were not followed and the projects tanked. The great thing is now, I don't have to live with the bad decisions of others. My old boss told me the requisition for my replacement was canceled so now he has to "do more with less". A year ago he had six and we were working 60+ hour weeks, he is now down to four and drowning. Oh well.

I feel a little guilty about not being a productive member of society anymore (but only a little). I thought I was going to have self worth issues after leaving work, but there really has not been enough time to think about it after being so busy having fun. I am currently doing some volunteer work on an industry committee helping to write a standard. It is reasonably rewarding, I get to interact with some of my old contacts and there is no real schedule pressure. So for now, this is just fine for me. In the future, I can see possibly doing work on some type of cool project without worrying about the pay.

The only negative issue I have to report on came about over a family matter dealing with an elderly parent. Our time was “volunteered” by another family member because we "did not have to work" (never mind the fact that we have spent the last year and a half dealing with this with no help from other family members). That brought an immediate and somewhat vulgar response by me and clearly they all now know my position. While I certainly don’t mind helping out and doing more than my share, the assumption that since I don’t have any other responsibilities, I should be doing it doesn’t fly. The sad lesson I learned here is that I will probably not tell everyone I am retired anymore, but rather I am now self employed as a consultant.

In conclusion, I want to thank the many here that helped give me the motivation and methodologies to leave work and pursue life on my own terms. While I still have (minor) concerns over money (just my conservative nature), the benefits of the freedom almost infinitely outweigh those concerns. The reality on the money side is, we have a budget, we easily live within that budget and we have reasonable contingencies (which is what we practiced for years before now; it makes things easy as there is no change) . If we have to cut back on discretionary spending, so be it; I can still see that is a much better option than going back to work for megacorp. For many, including myself, it is a much healthier life style. One can have a lot of fun and enjoyment for surprisingly low cost. Perhaps, one of the surprising activities I now enjoy, is spending a day at the library two or three times a month. I have read more books in the past four months than in the past four years. I get to read all kinds of magazines and periodicals (for free; I have actually already dropped two of my current subscriptions and probably more in the future). The library also has an extensive collection of movie DVDs that can be checked out for seven days, so now I get to see all the movies I missed (again, for free). I cleaned and waxed a buddy's plane and "earned" free flying time, something I would have never had the time to do in the past. I did some work on another friend's airboat while he was working so he could use it for alligator season. And now, I have some alligator meat in the freezer (and soon a nice belt). I hate to use a cliche, but the possibilities are endless without the noose of work.

So for those of you who are on the fence, I want to add my voice to the many here before me who said, if you have a reasonable financial plan, do it. I can’t say enough how much better it is on the outside. It is like being a kid with an endless summer vacation (and no parental restrictions)!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2012, 11:19 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Doug - I loved reading your update. You are living the dream of stopping to smell the roses.

I love alligator meat ! Enjoy it. And I loved the way you helped a friend for it
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:54 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live And Learn View Post
I love alligator meat !
Does it really taste like chicken?

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:57 AM   #4

Doug,

I love hearing yet another successful RE story. You've captured so well many of the same experiences and feelings that I had 5.5 years ago when I RE'd.

Mods: Perhaps we should make this a 'sticky' post to give to those who are fearful or concerned about the transition to retirement?

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:47 PM   #5
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
Does it really taste like chicken?

omni
Nah, alot more like frog or rattlesnake.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:32 PM   #6
Dryer sheet aficionado

Great sounding report Doug!

I particularly like the "schedule filling up" without any definite plan. Seems like I can fill a day from tasks like morning coffee, lunch, and dog walk!
jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:05 AM   #7

Thanks for sharing, Doug.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:46 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Glad you are off to a great start in retirement! Hopefully your concern over your finances is the equivalent to my fathers. He (76 years old ) had been bemoaning about needing to cut expenses, and complaining over low interest rates. It finally got me concerned enough to ask him point blank how is finances are. Well, I found out he still saves $1000 a month has SS, a pension, everything paid for, and over a half million cash. I told him to quit complaining and worrying and start spending, but that isn't going to happen.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:09 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Doug,
Thanks for the story it was uplifting to me as I am T minus 3 days away from retirement from mega corp and was in the worry mode the past day or so. Looking forward to the freedom and healthier life.
Trawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:50 AM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Doug,

Just another thank you. I am not sure why; but, I found this post particularly comforting and reassuring as I make my 2013 plans.
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:06 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

I can't wait I can't wait I can't wait I cant wait I cant wait....@ 3 months and a few days to go to Jan 1, 2013.

Great post, very encouraging to those of us in the Waiting mode, and did I mention

I CAN"T WAIT!!!!!!!
Lcountz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:17 AM   #12

I am so happy for you!!!
I left megacorp 3 years ago and there is not enough money in the world for me to go back!
I love being able to take afternoon naps!
citrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:22 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm jealous. Still 3 to 6 months away for me. But you reminded of what a guy told me about a year ago.

On a road bike one day, I struck up a conversation with a guy who turned out to be a year or two older than me and retired. He told me that when he was about 50, he was playing golf one day on a visit to Florida. He said there were a group of retired guys where he was staying and they were the "happiest sob's I've ever met". So he pulled the plug early, moved to Florida, rides his bike a lot and claims to be one of those "happiest" guys.

You guys are good inspiration for me!
67walkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:57 AM   #14

Thanks Doug...love to hear these reports of successful retirements. I am three years into retirement and I can echo the need for a good calendar. I find that my time fills up with things I want to do. When friends call I need to check my calendar to see if I am free. When I was working my days were so scheduled with a go to work/come home exhausted routine that I didn't need a social calendar.
FIYes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:57 AM   #15

Thanks for the update. Good to see your feeling of guilt was short-lived. I am planning on retiring in 2013, and am already feeling guilty. Maybe if I go to church more often (after I retire) that will fix it.
John Galt III is online now   Reply With Quote