Join Early Retirement Today

Taking a Train (Amtrak)?
Old 08-24-2018, 12:04 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Taking a Train (Amtrak)?

If you have taken a train (in the US) for a trip, what were your impressions? The thread on flying got me to thinking about how terrible flying is...and a recent road trip that DW and I took reminded me how terrible driving can be too. So, we got to thinking that our next trip might be on Amtrak, but neither of us have experience and figured at least a few of you may have some experience, etc.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2018, 12:08 PM   #2
gone traveling

I love trains.
I love trains in Europe.

My one trip on Amtrak made me decide never to ride this PoS again. The seats were worn and tattered. The food was abysmal. The first-class cost was the same as flying. The personnel were rude. And, you can forget on-time performance.
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 12:13 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes, Amtrak is frequently late. Sometimes by several hours.

I'm with DB: I LOVE trains in Europe!
gretah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 12:20 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I love trains. Long distance, high speed, electrified, steam.. I'll take them all.
I've taken trains on three continents so far. I have been coast to coast in the US (twice) and Canada (once).

In North America, taking a train to travel is about the experience itself. Unfortunately, it cannot be relied upon to be a proper method of on-time, value for money transport in and of itself.
Old 08-24-2018, 12:22 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I love Amtrak provided I go first class. I have done just about every long distance Amtrak train in the US.

"Rock me momma like the wind and the rain
Rock me momma like a south bound train
Hey, hey, hey momma rock me."

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 12:24 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I took Amtrak's Cardinal from New York to Indianapolis back in 2014. Going to Indy went okay, we came in about 15 minutes late on a 23-hour trip. We went coach, so sleeping was difficult (there were a few somewhat talkative passengers during the wee hours near the end of the trip). The food was lousy. The trip was scenic.

The return trip was awful. The train was supposed to leave Indy at midnight but didn't arrive until about 4:30 AM, making it a long night in the Indy station. We arrived in NY at a little after 3 AM the next day. No apology, nothing, just dumped into an empty Penn Station, forcing us to wait until 5 AM for the next LIRR train to get home.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 12:45 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

We love Amtrak and are taking another trip from Chicago to Flagstaff mid Sept. We always get a private bedroom. They are not luxurious but plenty adequate for us. We have done MSP to Seattle, Boston to Chicago, and Chicago to MSP. Meals are a bit better than first class domestic airlines. Staff are so-so usually. For us, it is about the journey and late is OK. We love traveling through backyards- literally. Coming out of Chicago is eye opening as neighborhoods are poor and it is reminder for all we have. Some routes are great scenery. The train is quiet and we sleep surprisingly well. Book 11 months early for the best price. The trains are older but we have never had one in what we would describe as poor condition. Really have enjoyed meeting other on the train. Meals are seated in groups of four and it is always interesting to meet others. Have met people from many countries. Have also received some good tips from fellow travelers on what to see when we get to destinations.
bizlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 01:54 PM   #8

I made a few trips halfway across the country and back. The first was "coach." I didn't think it was that bad. Like flying first class only it takes longer. The next 2 trips I got one of those Roomettes. I really liked that! They say it's a room for two but it's really just for one unless you're just there to sleep for a few hours. Then it's like being onboard a ship. And I don't mean The Love Boat. I mean like an E-2 in the Navy.

The train was always clean and like a nice hotel room. In coach you'll have to put up with whatever humanity happens along your path. Some say that's part of the adventure. For me, Life is about being there. I'm not in to "the journey."

Can't comment on the food. I packed my own, which you can do.

Being on-time at a certain stop is iffy. I was way late to some mid-point hold overs. but I'd rather wait 3 hours in Pittsburgh than the whole 6, so that's one of those "eff-up's" that actually worked out better. I was always on-time +/- 30 mins to my final destinations. Just like in an aeroplane. (And yes, I was 15 mins EARLY on one trip)

The reason for the ongoing lateness is: By law/contract commercial freight lines have right-of-way on the tracks. The Amtrak machine was doing just fine. Apparently freight haulers have problems maintaining a schedule. And then there's weather hundreds of miles away screwing with things. Just like in an aeroplane.

Had a GF who insisted on taking a 12 day trip from Minneapolis to the West Coast and up and down the Cascade mountain range. She went coach the whole way. Said she loved it.
razztazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 01:56 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
I love Amtrak provided I go first class. I have done just about every long distance Amtrak train in the US.

"Rock me momma like the wind and the rain
Rock me momma like a south bound train
Hey, hey, hey momma rock me."
Hey Martha, good to see you!!!
Old 08-24-2018, 02:04 PM   #10

I take several multi-day trips on Amtrak each year, generally very positive experiences. Took a cabin twice, business class a few times, mostly coach. I always pack my own food and drinks. While ontime performance is getting better, you still have to be flexible.
Old 08-24-2018, 03:12 PM   #11

This is timely. I just this week learned that Amtrak has rail passes. DH and I were discussing doing a train trip next year but it would be more of an ad hoc thing where we don't have to arrive anywhere at a prearranged time.

https://www.amtrak.com/rail-passes
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 03:38 PM   #12

Love me some Trains!
TVG
Thayls
ICE (not the cops[but I'm okay with law enforcement], Inter-City-Express)
Lyria
SNCF
Deutsche Bahn
Others....

Amtrak? I'll fly, drive, go Greyhound, walk. Just, no.
Old 08-24-2018, 05:08 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
This is timely. I just this week learned that Amtrak has rail passes. DH and I were discussing doing a train trip next year but it would be more of an ad hoc thing where we don't have to arrive anywhere at a prearranged time.

https://www.amtrak.com/rail-passes

I looked into this recently and was disappointed to learn that they are not as flexible as it sounds. You still have to make your reservations for all of your stops far in advance as they don’t have many seats allocated for the rail pass fare. That kind of takes the spontaneity out of it. I was hoping it would be more like a Eurrail pass—ride as often as you like, whenever you like...maybe my understanding is wrong or they’ve changed the rules.
ocean view is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 05:45 PM   #14

I've only taken trips along the Northeast Corridor - from NY to Boston or NY to DC. Nothing that involved overnight travel. But I enjoyed going to a nearby station and not having to go through airport security. The scenery was interesting and it was nice to have more room and to be able to get up and walk around.

I'd definitely take it again for trips of similar length, but I have no experience for longer trips.
Katiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 06:32 PM   #15

We took Steve Goodman's train, the City of New Orleans, 8 or 9 years ago. We got a roomette -- two comfortable seats that converted to sleepers We had a nice conversation at dinner with two women from Memphis who were up north to play in a LGBT softball tournament.

That evening, I got a close-up look at the upper sleeper berth. I'm not normally claustrophobic, but when I lay on my back the bulkhead was just inches from my face. I woke up about 2 in the morning and HAD to GET OUT!! I sat in the lounge car for half an hour to get some air before crawling back into that cabinet for the rest of the night.
Mr._Graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 06:37 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

I enjoy my train trips. I'm retired so I can go with the flow if late. One time missed a connection in Chicago and Amtrak paid to put me up in a nice hotel with meals. The roomette or bedroom is definitely worth it for a long over night trip. I've got another road trip and train trip combo coming up next month.
pjm-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 06:43 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

We had a terrible experience that "scarred" (and scared) me forever in 2006.
It wasn't any cheaper than flying, just did it for an "adventure" with the kids.
Took Amtrak from FL to NYC. It was supposed to take about 21 hours. First, it left 3 hours late. We were supposed to arrive at 1 PM the next afternoon. Various delays, hours of them and did not arrive until 11 PM. So "only" about ten hours late...

Oh btw--we had tickets to a show at 8 PM. Since we were scheduled to arrive at 1 pm I figured we would have plenty of time to get to the show. (not)

It was around this time of year, 90 degrees and humid. Many people brought food-like someone across from us brought a crock pot of chicken--chicken does not smell good in an enclosed area in the heat--believe me.

Toward the evening it was super cold inside--not just a little cool--so cold that I could not even sleep because I was freezing--even after buying one of their way overpriced crunchy, hard blankets.

There was a huge delay overnight, reason unknown. I asked one of the employees if they would "make up the time during the day" (like when a plane makes up the time in the air) and he thought I was crazy. Well, maybe I was due to lack of sleep and a body temperature about 10 degrees too low.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that they ran out of food and the toilets didn't work after awhile.

It was a trip from you-know-where.

I still do the short one-hour trips from the northeast to NYC but never ever ever a long one again.
Luvdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 06:56 PM   #18

Took it for a trip from here to Washington DC with the kids over 5 years ago.

6 hours by auto was supposed to be 8 hours by train (plus 1/2 hour to drive to the station)

It was over 10 hours going & over 13 hours coming back.

Would not do again.
ncbill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 11:43 PM   #19

Did the Super chief LA to Chicago in
January. Loved it, hard to sleep (in the sleeper) first night, no problem night two. Food was ok+, met interesting people many Amish. Would definitely do again.
Old 08-25-2018, 05:12 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I have often taken Amtrak from DC to NYC. I prefer it to flying. I have twice taken the Auto Train to Florida. We booked a roomette once and it was a PITA. The next time we tried business class seats which were comfortable but DW and I didn't sleep well. On the return trip we upgraded to a room and that was the sweet spot. I noticed that room prices vary significantly depending on when you travel.