Join Early Retirement Today

Talk to me about golf carts!
Old 07-09-2020, 10:45 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Talk to me about golf carts!

We’re going to be in the market for a used golf cart in the next couple of years. What should we be looking for/paying attention to? Any brands that are better/worse? Any good ideas on where to buy, other than Facebook/craigslist? What should we budget?

I’ve done some very basic research and looking on the normal classified sites, but the prices seem to vary tremendously and not sure why. We’re looking for something that will take us around the neighborhood and to a clubhouse that’s about a mile away, but up a hill. We’re not super mechanically inclined and don’t want to end up stranded!
tb001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2020, 12:01 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You may already know all this but FWIW...

https://www.golfcarsunlimited.com/co...ed-golf-carts/

https://www.golfcartgarage.com/golf-...ght-golf-cart/

Are there dealers around you, might be a good resource even if you don't buy from them - advantages and disadvantages just like a used car. Good luck.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 02:56 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
You may already know all this but FWIW...

https://www.golfcarsunlimited.com/co...ed-golf-carts/

https://www.golfcartgarage.com/golf-...ght-golf-cart/

Are there dealers around you, might be a good resource even if you don't buy from them - advantages and disadvantages just like a used car. Good luck.
That’s very helpful, thanks Midpack! It honestly never occurred to me there would be actual golf cart dealers I keep thinking we should be able to pick one up from someone moving or a course closing down, but a lot of the ones I’m seeing used seem pretty old/run down.
Old 07-09-2020, 03:25 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

We know about golf carts around here. There are 50,000 plus in our community. We have many locations in and around the area that are golf cart dealers offering sales and service just like a car dealership. There are Yamahas, Club Cars, Easy Go, Star, Atomic and just about anything else you have heard of.

I have been told that Yamaha sales are about 80% of the business. They are very reliable and will last for years if properly maintained. A big question is gas vs electric. We went with gas as we travel long distances so don't want to worry about running low on power with an electric. We use our cart for grocery shopping, Dr. visits, going out to reatuarants, going to entertainment venues, and of course playing golf.

I assume you are aware that a normal golf cart set up for a golf course has a limited speed of 12 to 14 mph. Our golf carts come with 10 inch wheels/tires and are set up to run at 20 mph.
We have driven our 2019 Yamaha gas cart over 2100 miles in the first year.

Options can have a huge affect on the price of a golf cart. It is not unusual to spend well over $12,000 on a well equipped new cart, but depreciation is quite high.

You can buy roadside assistance insurance on a golf cart if you are worried about breakdowns.
Old 07-10-2020, 05:55 AM   #5

I worked for one of the Augusta (GA) based world leading mfgrs for almost 15 years, so here's my $.02.

A typical golf car life cycle is eight years. 4 years at a high end course, then traded out, landing a a muni course for another 4 years. These cars may have some life left in them, but are really a pig in a poke. Be cautious with these. Used cart dealers will apply a "shoe shine' and rehab cosmetic stuff, tires, etc. But they avoid sinking real money for obvious reasons.

Try to find a cart that's 4 - 5 years old or newer for above reasons. Also, go electric. they are powerful, can run all day, and are absolutely quiet. The batteries are designed to go 48-72 holes carrying two big fellas, clubs, etc. These test are done on very mountainous courses and torturous test tracks. Electric carts use regen charging whereby dynamic braking charges the batteries when going downhill. Also, the batteries are designed to last 4 years of everyday usage.

Happy motoring!

BTW, gas carts are fine, but why bother?

If you go electric, either have new batteries part of the deal or negotiate a 1-2 year battery warranty.

Golf cars are built like tanks because people beat the s&!t out of them. Once off the course, they'll last forever.

I'd stick with Club Car, EZ-Go, or Yamaha. There is a lot more history, parts, knowledge, etc, to keep you rolling.
Old 07-10-2020, 06:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom52 View Post
We know about golf carts around here. There are 50,000 plus in our community. We have many locations in and around the area that are golf cart dealers offering sales and service just like a car dealership. There are Yamahas, Club Cars, Easy Go, Star, Atomic and just about anything else you have heard of.

I have been told that Yamaha sales are about 80% of the business. They are very reliable and will last for years if properly maintained. A big question is gas vs electric. We went with gas as we travel long distances so don't want to worry about running low on power with an electric. We use our cart for grocery shopping, Dr. visits, going out to reatuarants, going to entertainment venues, and of course playing golf.

I assume you are aware that a normal golf cart set up for a golf course has a limited speed of 12 to 14 mph. Our golf carts come with 10 inch wheels/tires and are set up to run at 20 mph.
We have driven our 2019 Yamaha gas cart over 2100 miles in the first year.

Options can have a huge affect on the price of a golf cart. It is not unusual to spend well over $12,000 on a well equipped new cart, but depreciation is quite high.

You can buy roadside assistance insurance on a golf cart if you are worried about breakdowns.
EZ-Go and Club Car make up ~80 percent of the market. Yamaha had a rep as the best gas cart for years, but the industry has moved by leaps and bound to electric since the 90's. Nothing wrong with Yamaha, but they aren't that big in the industry.
Old 07-10-2020, 06:59 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I live on a golf course and have owned a golf cart for the past 8 years. The club car onward carts are very popular at the club, although I prefer the EZGO RXVs.

You should check into a Star EV - those are completely street legal and much less expensive than an onward cart - one of my buddies has a star EV that goes 27 mph and has a backup camera.
Old 07-10-2020, 09:11 AM   #8

This is great! I didn’t realize the typical life span was so short, but I would guess they can see a lot of use. We’re pretty sure we’ll be looking at electric.

And I had no idea about the speed, though I figured that would be about the range. We’re in an area where there’s nowhere to really go, except for around the neighborhood, but there’s a clubhouse on the golf course where it would be nice to visit and get a drink or appetizer. And as we and our kids make friends here, I can see it getting used a lot.

We’ll definitely look at the star EV. We were hoping to not spend more than 2-3k, but not sure that’s realistic given the lifespan.
Old 07-10-2020, 09:13 AM   #9

And after thinking about it for about 3 seconds, I think the 10-15mph is actually a plus with future teenagers!!
Old 07-10-2020, 11:27 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb001 View Post
This is great! I didn’t realize the typical life span was so short, but I would guess they can see a lot of use. We’re pretty sure we’ll be looking at electric.

And I had no idea about the speed, though I figured that would be about the range. We’re in an area where there’s nowhere to really go, except for around the neighborhood, but there’s a clubhouse on the golf course where it would be nice to visit and get a drink or appetizer. And as we and our kids make friends here, I can see it getting used a lot.

We’ll definitely look at the star EV. We were hoping to not spend more than 2-3k, but not sure that’s realistic given the lifespan.
$3K can get you a nice golf car, but probably not a NEV (Neighborhood Electric Vehicle). Try to find a good retailer (that does both sales and service) by asking around, google, etc. Let them know what your seeking and what you can spend. I think you'll do fine.

Happy motoring!

https://golfcartresource.com/how-muc...f-cart-prices/
Old 07-10-2020, 12:37 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

I bought a new 6-seat gas Yamaha 4 years ago. I had the work done to be street legal in FL. Use it only to run down to the beach and around the neighborhood. It now has about 120 hours and has been absolutely reliable.

If was buying today, I would get just a 4 seater (Teen kids and their friends never use it) and I would go with electric. The improvement in battery and motor technology has eliminated the speed and range concerns I had initially.
Old 07-10-2020, 12:48 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
I bought a new 6-seat gas Yamaha 4 years ago. I had the work done to be street legal in FL. Use it only to run down to the beach and around the neighborhood. It now has about 120 hours and has been absolutely reliable.

If was buying today, I would get just a 4 seater (Teen kids and their friends never use it) and I would go with electric. The improvement in battery and motor technology has eliminated the speed and range concerns I had initially.
One can add a rumble seat above the bag well and convert a traditional cart to a 4 seat vehicle. Cost is ~$300.
Old 07-11-2020, 07:33 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

you can get a decent used cart for $3K but a new one is going to be closer to $8-$10K.

In 2013 I paid $3500 for a 2008 RXV with new body panels and wheels and I still own it. It's been through a set of batteries and 2 rear bumpers lol.
Old 07-11-2020, 07:34 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
And after thinking about it for about 3 seconds, I think the 10-15mph is actually a plus with future teenagers!!
if you have to deal with hills you will want an AC drive cart