Technology - hah!

audreyh1

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
DH texted me: I’ll for

So what did I do?

Well,....

I went to Aisle 4!

That was a Siri moment.

P.S. - huge number of homonyms in English!

Last edited:
This explains why people keep texting me "4Q".

This really happened. Texting a mutual (female) friend while on vacation. I meant to say "wish you were here." Spell check removed the last "e."

DW and I still laugh about what would have happened if I'd hit "send."

IMG_2712.JPG

I turn off the "auto accept", or whatever it's called, if it is the default. I have mine set to show me the substitutions, but I have to click/touch on it to accept that substitution.

That's why I wasn't 'getting' all these 'funny texts' published on the web. I was thinking, don't people look before they accept the change? It just seems really dangerous to have your phone make changes for you on the fly.

-ERD50

You sort of get used to auto-correct. It often saves a lot of keystrokes by guessing right. Other times it's totally frustrating by guessing wrong. I guess the pluses outweigh the minuses or I'd have turned it off by now.

Probably my biggest issue is that it's very inconsistent about being context-sensitive. Sometimes it surprises me by "getting" what I'm trying to write, other times I shake my head at how "dumb" it is.

One example is plurals. When my sentence clearly needs a plural form of a word, it refuses to give me that option. I have to type the whole thing out to avoid all the other, similar words it's trying to guess for me. Or I can just pick the singular form, then backspace the last couple of letters. Only then might it give me the plural as an option. Or not.

Speech recognition is a real challenge - that’s where all the homonyms interfere. “I’ll for” really amazed me, but I also understand why “aisle four” wasn’t initially picked.

But you can’t correct dictation on an Apple Watch - choices are either to cancel or send. DH just counted on me to figure it out.

Now if DH had dictated “I’m on aisle four” it probably would have gotten it [-]write[/-] right.

Peoples accents are sometimes extremely hard to understand, or the words seem out of context.

In the hospital I took a long time to recognize what the receptionist was saying when she said to me: "You axed me sompin ?"

It's not too surprising all the accents/expressions/dialects sometimes give speech recognition some trouble sometimes.

Last edited:
I used to wonder why I seem to have "clean-minded" autocorrect, instead of one that substitutes dirty words, etc like you see in funny memes. Then I realized it must work off of words you, yourself have typed before....

I used to wonder why I seem to have "clean-minded" autocorrect, instead of one that substitutes dirty words, etc like you see in funny memes. Then I realized it must work off of words you, yourself have typed before....

Makes me wonder if those “funny memes” are faked.,..

DH texted me: I’ll for

So what did I do?

Well,....

I went to Aisle 4!

That was a Siri moment.

P.S. - huge number of homonyms in English!

You are good. I never would have known what he meant. I would be waiting for his complete sentence. LOL

Google Maps (yes, the all-knowing Google) gave me an interesting expansion of a highway name recently. It was directing me to turn on MC85 (I guess that's Maricopa County highway 85) and told me to take Mega Coulomb 85.

I had to dredge up decades-old physics memories before I realized what it was saying.

Then I realized it must work off of words you, yourself have typed before....

I tried to send a text to my wife "I just saw two Corgis headed to campus".
It auto-corrected to "I just saw two virgins headed to campus".

I am reasonably sure that I have never texted the word virgins to anyone.

They were young, inexperienced Corgis, and your smartphone has much better pattern recognition capability than you probably realized. :LOL:

Text to kids: Mom and dad are finally going to divorce today.

Kids panic!

Original intended text: Mom and dad are finally going to Disneyland today.

Have you ever had the GPS talk to you in Spanish. Turn left on Kaley Hidalgo instead of Calle 'idalgo? We have the whole translation dictionary in our heads!

And what is it with the phones use of there, they're, their? Seems to not even try.

Have you ever had the GPS talk to you in Spanish.

No, but I have had it talk to me in another country.

We live off a Farm to Market road, commonly abbreviated "FM 123". Our old Garmin would tell us "Turn left on Federated States of Micronesia 123".

Didn't instill a great deal of confidence in the reliability of the directions being provided...

Last edited:
Have you ever had the GPS talk to you in Spanish.

Even English is sometimes a challenge.

Mine has a unique pronunciation of "toward" with the slightest pause before it. For the longest time I kept thinking it was calling me a twerp.

Well, maybe so, but I've since rationalized it to mean toward. :cool:

In the joke thread, there's a pretty funny one about spell checking replacing "wifi" with "wife".

-ERD50

Have you ever had the GPS talk to you in Spanish. Turn left on Kaley Hidalgo instead of Calle 'idalgo?

LOL, yes. First time I used one in L.A. I had to have DH read me the directions because I could not figure out that lah-shen-aug was really La Cienega.

Have you ever had the GPS talk to you in Spanish. Turn left on Kaley Hidalgo instead of Calle 'idalgo? We have the whole translation dictionary in our heads!

And what is it with the phones use of there, they're, their? Seems to not even try.

Wait until you live in an area where many streets have names that originated with the Native Americans who have lived in the area. :D

The GPS routinely mangles Spanish street names here. We just giggle.

Back
Top Bottom