Tesla Model 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ready

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I thought I would start a thread for anyone who is waiting for their Model 3 to be delivered. I'm curious to hear which options you plan on choosing, and what estimated delivery date Tesla is giving you.

I placed my order online the first day you could provide a deposit. I know there were about 150,000 people ahead of me who went to a showroom to sign up before the online ordering went live.

I currently show a delivery date of February-April 2018 if I select the standard 220 mile battery, or December-February if I choose the upgraded battery.

I've seen some articles referencing option pricing but I don't see anything on the Tesla web site. Has anyone else seen any specifics on the options? I know I want the auto pilot functionality. I don't care about the upgraded battery. I'm fine with black, no need to spend an extra $1K for another color. I'm not sure what other options are available beyond that.

I noticed on the news last night that 65,000 people have canceled their orders, should help you though. I'm sure Tesla knew a certain amount would cancel anyway. I wished I had ordered one when you did. Looks like a nice car.

We're waiting on ordering until a FWD or AWD version, since I'm in a Very Cold Place 6 months of the year, and RWD is a no-go :D

Also saw that they get 1800 new orders per day. That cancellation rate is about 12% which seems relatively insignificant. It will be interesting to see how many complete the purchase process once the orders reach production status.

I drive a lot and usually can pick out new or different cars pretty quickly on the road. I've seen a good number of Hybirds on the road in the past few years, even here in Texas, but I actually saw a Tesla driving down the highway about a month ago. Before that, I thought they were fake news.

Hard to believe 150,000 people are on some sort of waiting list.

Last edited:
I noticed on the news last night that 65,000 people have canceled their orders, should help you though. I'm sure Tesla knew a certain amount would cancel anyway. I wished I had ordered one when you did. Looks like a nice car.
To put that in perspective though, "total orders for the vehicle have fallen from 518,000 to 455,000." So their backlog is still impressive! DW needs a new car and I offered to put a deposit on a Model 3 about a year ago, but she didn't bite. She wanted a Model S, but not that interested in a Model 3 with the wait. We've been married for 37 years, and I still can't figure her out...

Last edited:

This may be good news for me. Once they sell 200,000 total cars the $7,500 federal tax credit begins a phase out period, eventually going away completely. If a lot of early deposit holders pulled out there still may be a chance I get the full credit.

They are showing an earlier delivery date if I buy the $49K loaded model. I really don't want it, but I suppose if it makes the difference between getting the tax credit or not, I might be convinced to go for it.

I drive a lot and usually can pick out new or different cars pretty quickly on the road. I've seen a good number of Hybirds on the road in the past few years, even here in Texas, but I actually saw a Tesla driving down the highway about a month ago. Before that, I thought they were fake news.

I think the majority of Tesla drivers are in California, although I would think at least a few should be on the road in Texas.

I think the majority of Tesla drivers are in California, although I would think at least a few should be on the road in Texas.

Well one for sure.:) Maybe I should drive by one of the charging stations to look for them. :LOL:

I live in CA and as a game I count Mustangs (any vintage) and Teslas (either model) and compare the counts (only cars actually driving on the road count - no parked cars).

Typically Teslas win out by a small margin (typically see 2-6 of each car on the approx 10 mile commute).

One time I drove on city streets through Palo Alto on a weekend. I counted 22 Teslas and about 2 Mustangs.

On topic: I'm holding out for an AWD model 3. Delivery estimator says Aug-Oct 2018.

I live in CA and as a game I count Mustangs (any vintage) and Teslas (either model) and compare the counts (only cars actually driving on the road count - no parked cars).

Typically Teslas win out by a small margin (typically see 2-6 of each car on the approx 10 mile commute).
I'm just fooling around with you Tesla guys and gals... Don't let my "negative" comments "drain" your enthusiasm. Drive whatever gets you "charged up". :)

But it is true that I've only seen one Tesla on the road here in Texas.

Here in Texas also... I have seen a couple here.... the first one I ever saw was on the Pacific Coast Hwy going toward SF...

My oldest sister said she saw two of them driving around Houston at the same time.... so some places are getting them...

I'm just fooling around with you Tesla guys and gals... Don't let my "negative" comments "drain" your enthusiasm. Drive whatever gets you "charged up". :)

I have seen a few Model S's running around The Woodlands, Texas, all driven by young females. Maybe they are physicians/lawyers or possibly soccer Moms with husbands that have great jobs.

I see tons of BMW's and MB's as they seem to be the "go to" cars in this area (most likely leases). They even outnumber the Camry's and Lexus's (Lexi?)

To put that in perspective though, "total orders for the vehicle have fallen from 518,000 to 455,000." So their backlog is still impressive! ....

It was often pointed out that pre-ordering was a very cheap gamble on getting on the list while Tesla could still offer a $7,500 tax credit, and that made a lot of sense.

But if it scales back at 200,000 total units from Tesla, and we just heard they are at ~ 145,000 now, and the backlog is at 455,000 - well, then apparently a lot of people are still holding on. But it's still early, still little benefit to getting off the list. But I think the phase-out is calendar based (not number of units based) after 2000,000 units, so hmmm, maybe still well worth staying in the game until the numbers are clearer?

... We've been married for 37 years, and I still can't figure her out...

:LOL: I'm ~5 years ahead of you, and I'm still in that boat.

You guys don't give yourself enough credit. In 37+ years, you've learned that you will never figure out your spouse. Acceptance - it sounds kind of Zen-like. Be in the moment. ;)

-ERD50

OP, since you're in California, I hear the state gives a rather generous rebate to individuals making less than 300% FPL. For a household of 2, that's $48,720 gross income. If you're a retiree living off your savings and dividends before RMDs, that's entirely doable. I understand the rebate is $7,000. If you receive even a partial federal tax credit of $7,500, it's pretty attractive, yes?

Yup, being here in the Bay Area Tesla's are as common Honda's. Our local Target Store has a Tesla Charging Station and at anytime of the day a half dozen or so are plugged in.

I[...] I think the phase-out is calendar based (not number of units based) after 2000,000 units, so hmmm, maybe still well worth staying in the game until the numbers are clearer?[...]
-ERD50

You are correct.

The full credit will still apply for a full quarter after Tesla reaches 200,000 units.
For the next two quarters after that, people will receive half the credit. For the next two quarters after that, people will receive a quarter credit.

So if they time things right, Tesla could still allow their customers to benefit from at least a partial credit for nearly a year and a half after they ship the 200,000th unit.

Source: https://www.irs.gov/irb/2009-48_IRB/ar09.html

I have seen a few Model S's running around The Woodlands, Texas, all driven by young females. Maybe they are physicians/lawyers or possibly soccer Moms with husbands that have great jobs.

I see tons of BMW's and MB's as they seem to be the "go to" cars in this area (most likely leases). They even outnumber the Camry's and Lexus's (Lexi?)

When I lived in The Woodlands I saw a Tesla a couple of times sitting at the charging station in the parking lot of Whole Foods. (Of course :))

Here in Central Indiana it seems I see at least 1 Tesla almost every time I am out driving. And it is NOT ME! :)

Is Tesla still barred from selling card directly to customers in Texas?

Is this still true:

Texas says no to Tesla - Business Insider

In several states including Texas, Tesla maintains showrooms but is barred from selling cars directly, allowing test drives, or even from directing customers to the Tesla website.

Certainly not being able to sell cars in Texas would explain not seeing many on the road.

FWIW in my area I used to see maybe one or two Teslas a month driving the local roads. And it was a big deal to see one. Now, I see them on almost every trip. There are three in my neighborhood. So, seeing one is now a bit of a Meh Moment.

I suspect that Model 3's will be common here within 12 months.

We saw a Tesla with Texas license plates, in a small Illinois town earlier this summer.

In Houston they have a showroom where you can go test drive a car.... and also two service centers...

I think they get around the law by having the sale be from another state...

It is fuzzy in my mind, but I think they tried to get the law changed and also sued...

OK... reading a few articles it seems you can go to a 'gallery' to view and test drive a Tesla, but they cannot discuss price or tell you the web address to order... but you order from the website which is considered California...

Tesla vs. Texas dealerships explained: Are more luxury electric cars headed our way? - Houston Chronicle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom