Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-31-2019, 04:32 PM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

Guess I'll count myself lucky or blessed then. 61, still lift weights like I did at 40, nothing replaced, haven't been to a doctor in four years. Wife 60, hard as a rock, lifts, runs and isnt falling apart. I'm never gonna give up the fight.
Backdraft57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2019, 05:02 PM   #62
Confused about dryer sheets

I'm 63 1/2 and haven't given up the fight. My wife says that I started falling apart at 40 but that's for another day. At a week short of my 49th, I was diagnosed with stage 3.999 colorectal cancer. Was a struggle for most of the next year but aside from some low grade stuff, I pass my tests with flying colors each year. Do I hurt in places I didn't know I had, sure. Will I ever feel sorry for myself and give up the things I love and sit on the couch waiting to die, never!
earlyretirement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 05:58 PM   #63
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEXPAT View Post
Amen, works for me. 66 Year old with a 38 year old Wife, Been to the doctor once in 16 years for a physical and he said keep doing what you are doing! Lungs where clear but said if you want some advice on your health, I would suggest you quit smoking and drink less Whiskey.

I am 68 and my wife is 49 but she looks like she is in her thirties. Her secret for looking young is to make sure you sleep well. She stay away from the sun and she does not stay up all night partying. Our daughter is 26 but she looks like she is 19. When we go to a car show, everyone wants to take a photo with my daughter in front of a new car because our daughter looks like a model.

For me, I took a DNA test from "23 and me" to identify any generic health risk. I also bike to the gym and work out every single day from 7 am to 9 am. Finally, I ask my doctor on what I can do to make me live longer and you will be surprised what he had to say. I am following his advise religiously and I can still snow ski in the mountains, go surfing in Waikiki and ride a motorcycle. I was fortunate to join the US Army from 1972 to 79 and served in a combat zone where taking care of myself is a priority.

As far as a tune up: I suggest taking to your doctor and ask for specific advice to increase your longivity, hiring a personal trainer to make sure your exercise program meets your physical objectives and talking to a professional nutritionist on your diet.
vchan2177 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Secret
Old 12-31-2019, 08:23 PM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

The Secret

56 and husband 58. No aches, pains or medicines, low blood pressure, low cholesterol...go PLANT BASED. We have been for ten years now and feel like we are in our 30s. Watch Forks Over Knives, Eating You Alive or The Game Changers...if a doc tells you to do keto ask him or her how much nutritional education they have because that is malpractice in my humble opinion since there are NO long term studies showing it helps fend off chronic disease and may cause heart disease and cancer. Most doctors in our country get ZERO nutritional education 😢 yet we count on their knowledge and often blindly take it.

Give yourself the gift and become pain free in 2020.

Things a plant based diet can help include: heart disease, diabetes, arthritis, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, constipation, diverticulitis, cancers like prostate, breast and colon, migraines, heart burn and GERd, stroke, eye health, even asthma and impotence. ...and donít forget WEIGHT LOSS without being hungry.
NoOneGetsIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 08:52 PM   #65
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewood90712 View Post
Last healthcare $ of the year spent, Colonoscopy today. super easy 12:30 check in, back out the door at 2.

I asked for a free upgrade to liposuction on the love handles.

Prep was not that bad.

One polyp removed and diverticulitis ( no symptoms).

Now that I revealed my innermost secrets , doc cleared me for 5 years.
I noticed you got colonoscopy, back, and door in the same line above.
Mr. Tightwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 05:13 AM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by vchan2177 View Post

Finally, I ask my doctor on what I can do to make me live longer and you will be surprised what he had to say.
Okay ... what did he say would make you live longer?
Steelart99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 11:51 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by misshathaway View Post
On the initial visit he told me I should gain weight because of my BMI. I asked him why, assuming I was getting adequate nutrition. He backpedaled, but that was a red flag.
That sounded a bit like the doctor was saying "if you gain some weight, you'll live longer", but maybe not. It just sounded like the idea floating around was to target the top end of the BMI "because" people in that range live longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Who said anything about causality?
You didn't. Sorry about that...yours was the last one having to do with the idea when I was reading the thread.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 01:34 PM   #68
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Given that I'm 6'5" tall, some studies suggest that even a healthy guy like me will die 5 years early. Also given the fact that richer men live 5 years longer than poor men, credit my longevity account those 5 years back.
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 01:48 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
Ladies begin to fall apart at age 50. Then they fall apart again around 70.
Men start to fall apart at age 60.
I guess I started early. I'm 40 and feel 70. Chronic leg pain after 3 hip surgeries and my back pain makes it hard to get out of bed most mornings.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 01:50 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post
Given that I'm 6'5" tall, some studies suggest that even a healthy guy like me will die 5 years early. Also given the fact that richer men live 5 years longer than poor men, credit my longevity account those 5 years back.
I'm 6'6" and relatively poor so i'm not planning to live past 75. I think I will have pain and mobility issues that wouldn't make life worth living past that anyway.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 03:04 AM   #71
Recycles dryer sheets

Just turned 66 and complain too much. Biggest issue was I partially retore a meniscus a year ago but this time wasn't overly severe so was recommended to do some PT and wait to see if I could still do my normal activities without much difficulty. Since I had already decided I finally should stop playing ultimate Frisbee anyway, so far so good as long as I avoid any really severe knee torquing. Still dance, garden, hike, bike, and do gym workouts without much problem.

Biggest health change was couple of years ago got the diabetes 2 wakeup call via regular blood test so had to change diet and bump up exercise a bit. Lost 25-30 pounds over the first year and have kept it all off so for now no drugs needed.

Everyone always guesses me to be maybe low 50s and when I tell them my real age they ask what the secret is. I tell them don't have kids and eat lots of fruits and vegetables.
madsquopper is offline   Reply With Quote