The 59 1/2 body tune up.

During the warm months I'm pretty active cutting grass/yardwork at home,3 rentals, and DM's. Once it gets cold , I head to gym, but a cortisone shot to the knee, and another in elbow has me sidelined for awhile, I'm 61. I guess I started falling apart when I turned 60.

...Oh and a PSA:

If you are over 50 and doing the "i haven't seen a doc in X years but I'm healthy and don't want to have needless blah blah...." - that's a great way to ruin your early retirement plans: Colon, prostate, breast - these cancers start showing up but when found and treated early have great long term survival rates. But if not, found too late, folks tend to exit before they have to worry when to start taking SS.

So get in there, get your check ups!

Yeah, the female relative I buried earlier this year AFAIK never had a mammogram, never felt sick, never went to the doctor.

Even though her own mother had had a double mastectomy around age 60.

Not surprisingly, my relative died from terminal breast cancer...lasted about 4 months after diagnosis.

<<
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
Check your causality direction on that one. Sicker people tend to get quite thin, then don't last very long.>>
<<Who said anything about causality?>>

I will buy that the weight correlates with some other health factor. Making this up but like maybe over 70 the added weight means the person is social, taken care of by family, happier, while the skinnier people are not eating well and depressed.

I just don't see how indiscriminately eating anything to gain weight to shift a BMI metric will cause good health.

I just don't see how indiscriminately eating anything to gain weight to shift a BMI metric will cause good health.

No one has ever said anything like that.
What I posted simply referred to the demonstrated fact that a longer lifespan has been associated with those who are slightly overweight, as opposed to those who are not (either normal/underweight or very overweight).

No causation implied, just some data to look at.

No one has ever said anything like that.
What I posted simply referred to the demonstrated fact that a longer lifespan has been associated with those who are slightly overweight, as opposed to those who are not (either normal/underweight or very overweight).

No causation implied, just some data to look at.

Agree definitely on the very overweight side. It is rare to see someone in their 80's who is is very overweight.
Not sure so much about thin folks. I see many fairly thin folks who at least appear to be in their 80's.

I'm female, and I ran my first marathon at age 52. Now 58, and I just did a rim-to-river-to-rim one-day hike in the Grand Canyon. No health issues. Still haven't fallen apart. :greetings10:

Did that myself a few years ago and definitely one of the most memorable days of my life.

Currently not sure my ankle, damaged by years of cutting sports, could hold up to it.

But otherwise can't complain too much about health.

-back MRI (revealed problems with my fusion from 38 years ago but manageable)
-One ER visit (turned out was nothing)
-Nuclear stress test (flying colors)
-2nd ER visit
-Cath lab, stent #2 in the widow maker
-Dental stuff, broke crown
-Colonoscopy (flying colors)

For new year looking forward to:

-New ankle x-rays (heading toward possible ankle replacement)
-Consult with orthopedist for ankle and back

I am really a lot healthier than all that sounds

Last healthcare $ of the year spent, Colonoscopy today. super easy 12:30 check in, back out the door at 2.

I asked for a free upgrade to liposuction on the love handles.

Prep was not that bad.

One polyp removed and diverticulitis ( no symptoms).

Now that I revealed my innermost secrets , doc cleared me for 5 years.

Had my last one at 62 and got a 10 year reprieve. Next time I may get to poop in a bag and mail it in.

Guess I'll count myself lucky or blessed then. 61, still lift weights like I did at 40, nothing replaced, haven't been to a doctor in four years. Wife 60, hard as a rock, lifts, runs and isnt falling apart. I'm never gonna give up the fight.

I'm 63 1/2 and haven't given up the fight. My wife says that I started falling apart at 40 but that's for another day. At a week short of my 49th, I was diagnosed with stage 3.999 colorectal cancer. Was a struggle for most of the next year but aside from some low grade stuff, I pass my tests with flying colors each year. Do I hurt in places I didn't know I had, sure. Will I ever feel sorry for myself and give up the things I love and sit on the couch waiting to die, never!

Amen, works for me. 66 Year old with a 38 year old Wife, Been to the doctor once in 16 years for a physical and he said keep doing what you are doing! Lungs where clear but said if you want some advice on your health, I would suggest you quit smoking and drink less Whiskey.

I am 68 and my wife is 49 but she looks like she is in her thirties. Her secret for looking young is to make sure you sleep well. She stay away from the sun and she does not stay up all night partying. Our daughter is 26 but she looks like she is 19. When we go to a car show, everyone wants to take a photo with my daughter in front of a new car because our daughter looks like a model.

For me, I took a DNA test from "23 and me" to identify any generic health risk. I also bike to the gym and work out every single day from 7 am to 9 am. Finally, I ask my doctor on what I can do to make me live longer and you will be surprised what he had to say. I am following his advise religiously and I can still snow ski in the mountains, go surfing in Waikiki and ride a motorcycle. I was fortunate to join the US Army from 1972 to 79 and served in a combat zone where taking care of myself is a priority.

As far as a tune up: I suggest taking to your doctor and ask for specific advice to increase your longivity, hiring a personal trainer to make sure your exercise program meets your physical objectives and talking to a professional nutritionist on your diet.

The Secret

56 and husband 58. No aches, pains or medicines, low blood pressure, low cholesterol...go PLANT BASED. We have been for ten years now and feel like we are in our 30s. Watch Forks Over Knives, Eating You Alive or The Game Changers...if a doc tells you to do keto ask him or her how much nutritional education they have because that is malpractice in my humble opinion since there are NO long term studies showing it helps fend off chronic disease and may cause heart disease and cancer. Most doctors in our country get ZERO nutritional education 😢 yet we count on their knowledge and often blindly take it.

Give yourself the gift and become pain free in 2020.

Things a plant based diet can help include: heart disease, diabetes, arthritis, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, constipation, diverticulitis, cancers like prostate, breast and colon, migraines, heart burn and GERd, stroke, eye health, even asthma and impotence. ...and don’t forget WEIGHT LOSS without being hungry.

Last healthcare $ of the year spent, Colonoscopy today. super easy 12:30 check in, back out the door at 2.

I asked for a free upgrade to liposuction on the love handles.

Prep was not that bad.

One polyp removed and diverticulitis ( no symptoms).

Now that I revealed my innermost secrets , doc cleared me for 5 years.

I noticed you got colonoscopy, back, and door in the same line above.

On the initial visit he told me I should gain weight because of my BMI. I asked him why, assuming I was getting adequate nutrition. He backpedaled, but that was a red flag.
That sounded a bit like the doctor was saying "if you gain some weight, you'll live longer", but maybe not. It just sounded like the idea floating around was to target the top end of the BMI "because" people in that range live longer.

Who said anything about causality?
You didn't. Sorry about that...yours was the last one having to do with the idea when I was reading the thread.

Given that I'm 6'5" tall, some studies suggest that even a healthy guy like me will die 5 years early. Also given the fact that richer men live 5 years longer than poor men, credit my longevity account those 5 years back.

Ladies begin to fall apart at age 50. Then they fall apart again around 70.
Men start to fall apart at age 60.

I guess I started early. I'm 40 and feel 70. Chronic leg pain after 3 hip surgeries and my back pain makes it hard to get out of bed most mornings.

Given that I'm 6'5" tall, some studies suggest that even a healthy guy like me will die 5 years early. Also given the fact that richer men live 5 years longer than poor men, credit my longevity account those 5 years back.

I'm 6'6" and relatively poor so i'm not planning to live past 75. I think I will have pain and mobility issues that wouldn't make life worth living past that anyway.

Just turned 66 and complain too much. Biggest issue was I partially retore a meniscus a year ago but this time wasn't overly severe so was recommended to do some PT and wait to see if I could still do my normal activities without much difficulty. Since I had already decided I finally should stop playing ultimate Frisbee anyway, so far so good as long as I avoid any really severe knee torquing. Still dance, garden, hike, bike, and do gym workouts without much problem.

Biggest health change was couple of years ago got the diabetes 2 wakeup call via regular blood test so had to change diet and bump up exercise a bit. Lost 25-30 pounds over the first year and have kept it all off so for now no drugs needed.

Everyone always guesses me to be maybe low 50s and when I tell them my real age they ask what the secret is. I tell them don't have kids and eat lots of fruits and vegetables.

Back
Top Bottom