Join Early Retirement Today

The 59 1/2 body tune up.
Old 12-24-2019, 10:26 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The 59 1/2 body tune up.

Hitting 60 soon. So far this year been to the ER, ( turned out not serious ) , the dermatologist, internist , cardiologist, gastrointerologist , alergist, ENT , urologist, oral surgeon. Going to top off the year with a colonoscopy monday.

Hoping 2020 will be a little less medical year ! I do thank my lucky stars for modern medicine, even with the cost.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2019, 11:18 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hitting 60 early next year.
Standard for me is
Internist
Cardiologist
Periodontist
Dermatologist
Opthalmologist
Old 12-24-2019, 05:47 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Hitting 77 next year.

Had a hip replaced 5 weeks ago, otherwise only annual physical during 2019. Back to walking 10,000 steps per day now.

Looking forward to seeing the hip surgeon in January (last review), and PCP in may for annual.

Only take one prescribed med (Tamsulosin) for help with urine flow. Otherwise blood panels normal.

No cataracts yet, no skin issues, no internal stuff.....

Still a lucky guy!
Old 12-24-2019, 06:48 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Ladies begin to fall apart at age 50. Then they fall apart again around 70.
Men start to fall apart at age 60.

My wife is 70 and has had 6 operations in the last year. Like she said, at least her ailments can be repaired. She's looking for improved health and mobility after the knee replacement.

Hope you have better days ahead too.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 07:01 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I'm M, 62 and this year sucks eggs. Three eye surgeries, one prostate surgery, cystoscopy, colonoscopy, cervical injection, EMG, MRI, and the CT to end all. I'm tired of people poking around me!
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 07:11 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Just turned 60. I’d been keeping regular medical appointments, so didn’t need to do anything extra.

Before my 60th I had:
Resumed regular yoga for a year which meant I recaptured a lot of my flexibility from years ago.
Lost 10% of my body weight due to a ketogenic diet recommended by my doctor to improve some blood numbers. So I was normal BMI.
Been doing a regular weight training regimen.

So it was quite gratifying to cross my 60th having better health and fitness than my 59th.

P.s. I didn’t fall apart at 50.
Old 12-24-2019, 07:25 PM   #7

I'll be 59 in 2020. Health is pretty good, no complications and on no medications. Still, my goal this year was to lose some weight (10 to 15 pounds) and workout more. Did pretty good working out, though I must say, I really don't like it. Didn't do well at all on the weight front. That will be the focus for 2020 along with hoping nothing new rears an ugly head.
Old 12-24-2019, 07:31 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post

I'm female, and I ran my first marathon at age 52. Now 58, and I just did a rim-to-river-to-rim one-day hike in the Grand Canyon. No health issues. Still haven't fallen apart.
Involuntary Retiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 07:51 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

My DW started falling apart about age 70, apparently like mentioned above. She's 74 now. She's fully handicapped now and on oxygen 100% of the time. No fun for her, but I am now her caretaker. That's why I need to stay healthy.
Old 12-24-2019, 08:18 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Looks like I should invest in a health care industry focussed fund....
Cessna152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 09:35 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I have a close friend that's 68 years old, and looks like she's 38. Helps to be petite (short).

I asked her what her secret to not aging like the rest of us. She said to keep young friends in your life, and especially to keep young lovers.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 01:09 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
Men start to fall apart at age 60.

My wife is 70 and has had 6 operations in the last year. Like she said, at least her ailments can be repaired. She's looking for improved health and mobility after the knee replacement.

Hope you have better days ahead too.
I must say your wife seems to have had a lot of bad luck health wise. And you seem like a very supportive husband. Here's wishing you both a much improved year and lots more travel!
bmcgonig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 01:14 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
My DW started falling apart about age 70, apparently like mentioned above. She's 74 now. She's fully handicapped now and on oxygen 100% of the time. No fun for her, but I am now her caretaker. That's why I need to stay healthy.
The very best to you and your wife AJ. Hopefully this year will bring some improvement for both of you.
bmcgonig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 06:06 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgonig View Post
The very best to you and your wife AJ. Hopefully this year will bring some improvement for both of you.
Thanks, and even staying status quo is acceptable, too.
Old 12-25-2019, 07:39 AM   #15
gone traveling

I'm 70. This year has been so so for me:

Positives - lost 15 lbs, A1C back to normal range and all other blood tests good, calcium score "0", eye continues to heal well from past surgery.

Negative - injured left knee patella and spent many months rehabbing, but is OK now. Right shoulder tweaked late last year and has gradually gotten worse and while I am attempting to rehab, it might be time for visit to sports doc. Lower back pain and stiffness due to facet degeneration, not sure there is anything that can be done about this.

I have a friend who is 79 and he is still looking for the magic fountain of youth. I am not as optimistic as him.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 08:10 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Those are some fabulous positives!
Old 12-25-2019, 08:14 AM   #17

Will hit 65 in August. Can't wait to save $700/mth on HI. However, this past six months have been annoying aches and pains but nothing serious thank goodness. I guess in a nutshell it's the first time I've "felt my age".
Old 12-25-2019, 08:20 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Involuntary Retiree View Post
I'm female, and I ran my first marathon at age 52. Now 58, and I just did a rim-to-river-to-rim one-day hike in the Grand Canyon. No health issues. Still haven't fallen apart.
Congratulations, I know what a great feeling that is.

Did my first marathon at 58, then two more before switching to half marathons. Most recent one last year.
DW was a total couch potato five years ago, and just notched her 40th half marathon. We're both in our 70s, so we're hanging in there pretty well.
Old 12-25-2019, 08:25 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Congratulations, I know what a great feeling that is.

Did my first marathon at 58, then two more before switching to half marathons. Most recent one last year.
DW was a total couch potato five years ago, and just notched her 40th half marathon. We're both in our 70s, so we're hanging in there pretty well.
Very impressive.
Running is tough on my knees, so increasing my exercise next year by hoping to play competitive Pickleball 6 days a week for 3 hours a day.
Will also add strength training for the first time in retirement.
Old 12-25-2019, 10:16 AM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
due to a ketogenic diet recommended by my doctor to improve some blood numbers.
Recommended?! I am so jealous. I just moved to FL so I have a new PCP. On the initial visit he told me I should gain weight because of my BMI. I asked him why, assuming I was getting adequate nutrition. He backpedaled, but that was a red flag.

I had annual bloodwork and he wants an appointment to discuss it. It has to be total cholesterol. I dread the LCHF, statins conversation.
misshathaway is offline   Reply With Quote