The Adjustment Period - What was it like?

I had no adjustment period after I retired. I gradually reduced working hours over my last several years of working so that the last few years I was only working 1-2 days a week. So I practiced retirement 5-6 days a week for quite a while before I retired. I had my retirement toys, hobbies and pastimes ready to go on day 1 of Retirement. And there were no desires to go back

DW & I retired just over a year ago. The adjustment period has had it's ups and downs for us. It hasn't been all a bed of roses.

One year ago, we were "down" in the Southern Hemisphere traveling about the North and South Islands of New Zealand for 3 months. We were "up" in Cape Reinga and all the way "down" south to Invercargill.

Then we were "up" in the hills of Tuscany for 3 months over last summer.

While writing this reply, we are "up" on a hill top in the Costa Rican rainforest looking out at the Pacific Ocean. This is our home for the next 8 months.

Friday, we'll be going "down" to the beach.

DW & I have managed to adjust to the ups and downs of this retirement gig! :greetings10::dance::dance::dance:

so you’re DOWN in Guanacaste area? then you’ll have to get “UP” early to see the howler and spider monkeys (and look UP to see them to) and also get DOWN to the beach early enough to claim your good spot for relaxing there.

DENVERITE
since you mentioned that you’ll not be seeing your peers (age group) in retirement, for a couple of weeks after you check out go down to the 16th St mall/LoDo from say 11-1 on a weekday. observe how everyone is rushing around, trying to get whatever done before returning to the rat race— just go slow, enjoy the pace of a more deliberate, contemplative life. No more race... you’ve crossed the line

For me,
it’s going on three years
when I pushed off, spouse was already out and in the new house (thousands of miles away) , we’d changed licenses/voting registration/car registration/ etc and we’d sold the old place (purchased the new place months before) and I was staying in temp housing

the day I left: gave up badges, computers, keys, etc ... headed for my vehicle already loaded with whatever I needed during my temp housing and made sure I was out of state (a few hundred miles) before midnight ... i could legitimately say I wasn’t in the state the next day/month/year for their taxing authority
next day was in Boulder, visiting family for a few days, then off to finish the transit to the house
It takes a few months to decompress and still have rare flashbacks to the insanity... but don’t miss the commute (was typically 2+ hours a day)

Right after retirement, DON’T start volunteering... get used to the new normal; establish a general pattern , nothing rigid, for the days... now there’s nothing wrong if you want to sleep in a bit longer (the dog might even enjoy the longer cuddle time until 9-9:30)
let the transition occur more organically...you’ll recognize when you’re going too fast when you start noticing your blood pressure rise, start getting tense... then back off

good luck with your journey

It took me about six months to feel comfortable being retired, but I struggled with the decision of whether or not to quit working. I liked my job, but was having health issues that were likely to get worse. I made a list of things that I still wanted to do and realized that I needed to get started right away if I was ever going to get to even a fraction of the list. 20 months after leaving the workforce, I now wish I had retired a few years earlier.

The 1st time I retired I wasn't ready. Returned to a new field in a definite PT basis. The 2nd time (8 yrs later) I had made the right decision / right time but also went from PT to my time. 1 yr in and busy although I often don't know which weekday it is

One and a half years retired here. I had been (literally) working toward that goal for a long time, so once the day came, it felt normal to me. No adjustment necessary.

However, I did have a weird feeling for a while, like I was getting away with something; I was waiting for someone to call me and say, "Where the hell have you been?? Get your butt back in office!" I can vividly remember driving to Home Depot on a Tuesday at 11 am about three months after retiring and suddenly realizing that this is really cool: i can do what I want when I want!

I do admit to being occasionally bored, but - as I read once on this board - it's ok; I give myself permission to be bored once in a while!

so you’re DOWN in Guanacaste area? then you’ll have to get “UP” early to see the howler and spider monkeys (and look UP to see them to) and also get DOWN to the beach early enough to claim your good spot for relaxing there.

We're "down" in the area of Ojochal (SW Puntarenas province), less touristy and more Tico than the Guanacaste area. On several occasions we've been "down" to Piñuelas and Ventanas beaches and had them almost entirely to ourselves. And you are right about those howler monkeys. Every morning is a serenade and we have to keep an eye out those rascal capuchins.

One and a half years retired here. I had been (literally) working toward that goal for a long time, so once the day came, it felt normal to me. No adjustment necessary.

However, I did have a weird feeling for a while, like I was getting away with something; I was waiting for someone to call me and say, "Where the hell have you been?? Get your butt back in office!" I can vividly remember driving to Home Depot on a Tuesday at 11 am about three months after retiring and suddenly realizing that this is really cool: i can do what I want when I want!

I do admit to being occasionally bored, but - as I read once on this board - it's ok; I give myself permission to be bored once in a while!

Yes, exactly. Excellent post. I'm so used to the regimented daily routine that I'll probably have the "getting away with something" feeling as well. At least for a time.

I'm trying to keep in mind that it took many years of saving/investing to get to this position. But I still think that feeling will exist for a while.

I retired last January at 55 from a very intense career - no adjustment to retirement for me. I'm single also.

Many years ago I learned to separate my identity from my job titles, so losing the titles had no effect on me. I did have a part time position planned after retirement the gave me pleasure to be involved with - I ran away to the circus and became their secretary/administrator (I've been doing circus aerials for about 12 years beforehand - this is a 2 day a week position). My mother was having her last days and I treasured not having to deal with work as I spent some precious time with her. After her passage, I looked to be involved in some volunteer activities and began working in a wildlife rescue agency one day a week working in a waterfowl nursery at first and then feeding and cleaning up after turtles, birds, small mammals, etc. later in the year. I'm still doing that and may add back more nursery work come spring.

I'm also enjoying going to an off-leash park with my dog every day and sometimes talking to other people there. I've also joined a gym and get a workout there three or four times a week. It's casual socialization, but just right for me.

I've done a number of home improvement projects this past year and am working on more for this coming year. I've also been doing lots of gardening projects.

I just love my retired life now!

Last edited:
I am a little over 3 years on my FIRE'd life and it's been absolutely fantastic. When I initially retired, I had some trepidation since I was quite young and retirement wasn't (and still really isn't) on the radar of my peers and friends. Nonetheless, I am an only child so I have always been a very independent soul and I thoroughly enjoy my alone time.

Most days I have something to do...whether planned before the day begins or "crops" up that day. I can't really think of a day where I really had NOTHING to do (unless I planned it that way!) and as a result I have yet to be bored. I don't really have a schedule for anything with the exception of school. School? Huh? Let me explain....

For many, many years I thought going to law school would be an interesting thing. While I was active duty, I even gave consideration to going to law school and then doing the JAG thing, but in the end, I decided I liked my j*b too much and wouldn't do that. So, after retiring, the thought of law school came around again and so...well, I enrolled. It isn't quite what I was expecting, and I probably wouldn't do it again. The learning part has been great, and since there is no real pressure to "compete" against my peers, or even worry about grades (you don't really fail law school classes...it's an odd thing) I have been able to actually enjoy the experience, but I have not enjoyed having a "schedule". Thankfully, for the last year, I have only had classes twice a week, so the "commute" has been minimal. And, this is the last semester, so that goal will be completed soon. AND...I am so very, very thankful that I didn't pull this trick while I was still in the AF....because I would HATE being an attorney! ;)

Also, I do get plenty of interaction with others. While all my friends are still w*rking, we are still able to get together and have a good time. I have a low need for "people interaction", so getting together with these friends "once in a blue moon" is really quite enough for me.

To summarize...I stay plenty busy. I get plenty of human interaction. I am never bored. The adjustment was easy, easy, easy and I have ZERO regrets.

I'm in the same boat. I "test drove" the ER by taking few days off. Believe me, it felt great to have so much time on hand. I was able to do extend my morning routing (exercise, breakfast, morning news) easily until 10 - 10:30 am. Then spend few hours on computer, Lunch, little window-shopping in afternoon and back to home as if I'm coming back from work :D I don't think it'll take long for anyone to "kill the time" IMHO :) :)

Three years ago this month. It's surprising how easily I took to the life of a bum.

This is a good thread for me. I know I need to retire, and have put 60 as my end date. My job has horrific hours, does not allow for enough vacation time (it's there it theory - ha!), and I need to spend more time with my family before I drop dead at the office.

On the other hand, there is something addictive about it, and I am going to have to separate what I do from who I am . :facepalm:

The politics at my last company was truly toxic, and I had plans to walk out the door in January of 2016. I took the last week in December of 2015, and lasted four days before I went running back to the office. Made the mistake of watching day time television. Pathetic. I was subsequently recruited, and started a new job.:( There is less toxic politics at the new job, but the support staff :mad: leaves much to be desired, and the paperwork end of my job takes too much time.

This has been posted before but it is still funny if you haven't seen it.

Note: Audio perhaps NSFW, there's a few swear words.

Back
Top Bottom