The Adjustment Period - What was it like?

Denverite

Recycles dryer sheets
OK so considering an early retirement this year. I'm 56 and single, and have been saving/reinvesting for 24 years and was also fortunate to make a set of inheritances. My unearned income (dividends) is close to 100K and that was my "I'm a free agent now" number.

The thing is.... I'm wondering what the post-retirement adjustment period is like. I've been in the salt mines full time for 29 years. The idea of having that much time on my hands is, well, kind of daunting.

I have a list of interests I intend to pursue, but the thought of it is still kind of foreign. So question to all of you veterans - what was the initial 3 - 6 months like? Did anyone get the "damn I should not have done this yet" feeling? And how long did it take before the non-working (at least full time) life started to feel more natural?

Let me know - thanks in advance.

It took me the time from the front door of the office to the time I got into my truck to adjust! I'm amazed almost every day at just how busy I am. As many have said before me, "How did I ever have time to go to work??" For me, the days just seem to fill themselves.

So how did I adjust to not getting up early every day? Or, having to take 6 a.m. flights going east? Or, not having to hit a quota every year? Or hating Sunday nights? Pretty easily

6 month-er here. Here's my spin. I never sat on my ass over the weekend. I always had big or small tasks needing my time. Those tasks included fishing and deer hunting, not just honey do stuff. In my slightly more than six months in retirement, I've yet to be bored or lacking something to do. But I might choose a hike in the mountains over painting the spare bedroom.

I think if you know how to fill your time today, you'll fill it tomorrow. Like many GalaxyBoy said, I had those same pressures. Once you jettison that BS, you will NEVER look back with fond longing.

Congrats and all the best!

OK so considering an early retirement this year. I'm 56 and single, and have been saving/reinvesting for 24 years and was also fortunate to make a set of inheritances. My unearned income (dividends) is close to 100K and that was my "I'm a free agent now" number.

The thing is.... I'm wondering what the post-retirement adjustment period is like. I've been in the salt mines full time for 29 years. The idea of having that much time on my hands is, well, kind of daunting.

I have a list of interests I intend to pursue, but the thought of it is still kind of foreign. So question to all of you veterans - what was the initial 3 - 6 months like? Did anyone get the "damn I should not have done this yet" feeling? And how long did it take before the non-working (at least full time) life started to feel more natural?

Let me know - thanks in advance.
I didn't really do much preparation for the psychological adjustment part, other than just putting together a list of 23 things I'd rather be doing than working. Probably this is like your list, and included things like taking up piano again, growing roses, learning Spanish, and so on.

On retirement day I felt pretty emotional giving back my badge and walking out that door. Maybe a tear or two between the door and my car. Once I sat behind the wheel there in the parking lot, I whispered... "YES!!!" to myself because I knew my plan to retire had worked.

The next day I awakened at 4 AM... I know! Silly, huh. Anyway, that morning I felt a little shaky and unsure about what to do. So, I decided I needed to go to the gym and try to get back in shape, and I needed to get out of the house. I went to the gym, worked out, and then went shopping just to be moving around. Bought some clothes as a "good for me" present.

After that, I was set. I had a routine - - get up, drink coffee, go to the gym, and go walk around stores to keep moving. For me that took care of the scary, empty feeling of not knowing what I was supposed to do next.

Bear in mind that my original username was "Want2Retire", and I really did, probably more than anyone in the history of mankind. So I didn't have much ambivalence to deal with. In my case, I just didn't know what to do with myself without being told what to do, but I got the hang of it in a day or two.

It took a couple of months to shed most of my stress, and probably 2-3 years to shed it all. It's like peeling an onion. You think you have gotten somewhere, and then find another layer of stress beneath the one you ditched.

I never did do any of the things on my list like learning Spanish or growing roses. Oh well! I have so much to do in retirement that I just haven't had time for it all. I have not regretted retiring for even one moment.

In fact I feel pretty guilty to say that I haven't been back to visit even once since 2009 when I retired. I ran into people from work a couple of times, and talked for a few minutes. Nothing has changed back at work; same people, same type of work, same stressful things going on.

I'd say a good first step is deciding to get out of the house at least once each day. Well, it was for me. YOU get to invent your own retirement, though! Pretty fun, I think.

Sorry this is so long but I hope it helps.

It's only been ten years, but I'm starting to get over losing my windowless basement cube and my sadistic boss. Of course, in the meantime I've been forced to hike every day, paddle when it is warm and camp during the week when there are few crowds. It's tough, I tell ya. :cool:

Took me over 2 years to fully 'come down' and become 'me' instead of being my job.

Every day was a little better though and as many will note you'll soon wonder how you had time to go to work.

My view is that if "every day is a vacation" you are still viewing your free time from a work perspective and context. Once you stop being 'on vacation' and just start "this is how I live", you'll know you're there. Might take you a few weeks or a few years, but you'll be fine. Good luck!

Retirement is what you want it to be.

Try to retire TO something, rather than FROM something ("salt mines"). You'll have a more full life that way.

If you find the thought of full-time retirement daunting, consider easing into it. Find a part-time activity. It doesn't have to be a money maker - just a transition.

6 months in retirement and having a blast. Was out of work before that, so had time to adjust. Have no desire to go back to work. Got over quickly being the big boss.

It's been 3 years for me. I am 58, still have school-age kids at home and there is plenty to do. Consider me only a reference point.

I agree with those that say you will find interesting ways to fill your day. Keep a list of what has seemed interesting to you and refer to it occasionally. My list had a few things I now know I'll never do (learn to play the guitar? I'll turn Keef up to 11 instead ;)), but it's still useful to keep thinking about life beyond the immediate tasks.

As a single, you may be used to living alone, but the interaction at work may have been useful. Like W2R, I like to get out everyday and interact, even if it is only the grocery checkout. Too many consecutive days at home just managing my kids lives' is not good for me.

IME, you'll find a way. May be lonely at times and wonder where you'll find normal people to talk to (if that's of interest). Be patient with yourself and look at it as building a new life, just as you did when starting your career. Different objectives and constraints, let your thinking evolve accordingly

Took a couple of years for me. One issue was my DF was passing and we had some unresolved stuff. Then I had some weird health issues.

Finally started doing what we wanted, including taking care of ourselves, and it's awesome. You remember that perfect summer vacation? This one doesn't end for much longer.

I ER’d at 56 a little over a year ago. I never had any regrets and am so grateful that I have the freedom now to reinvent myself any way that I choose. I think it has been helpful for me to just “go with the flow” more than I did while working. I’ve let go of the need to have my time fully scheduled, have stepped up my involvement in volunteer activities I did pre-ER, have increased the time I devote to physical fitness, and have taken on several new activities. The best thing for me has been the feeling of freedom - if I try a new activity or volunteer gig, and I don’t like it, I can just quit - no worries!

Everyone adjusts a little differently and I’ve heard others say it typically takes a year or two to fully adjust. In terms of being able to leave work and my old j*b behind, I adjusted pretty immediately. I suppose I was ready to go. I don’t know if I’ll still be doing the same things in 3 years that I’m doing now, but the good news is it’s up to me!

Retired 2 years ago at 53. No adjustment needed. Live a leisure life doing whatever whenever.

I've been retired two years now. The week after I retired we had a lot of snow, and it was so nice to stay home and think, no more commuting in this type of weather.
I didn't do much of anything for a couple of months, and then got active doing chores and work around the property, signing up for classes and lectures, getting myself organized.
I have not regretted it for one second, nor was there really any adjustment period.

I’m 67 retired 11 years. Everybody is different. I had a fairly difficult time adjusting but my “identity” was closely linked to my career. Doesn’t sound like yours is, so it shouldn’t be too difficult for you.

Some advice? Stay or become active in retirement. Take up new activities. I started biking and skiing. Maybe more time for fitness? Make an effort to make new friends, or at least keep close to your old ones. I think only boring people are bored in retirement.

You’ll be fine. Good luck.

So question to all of you veterans - what was the initial 3 - 6 months like? Did anyone get the "damn I should not have done this yet" feeling? And how long did it take before the non-working (at least full time) life started to feel more natural?
I’m sure it’s not the same for everyone, so FWIW.

I never had any regrets, after 6+ years I still don’t.

For at least the first month, when I woke up in the morning I immediately checked the time to make sure I hadn’t overslept/late for work, then I remembered I didn’t have to after a few seconds.

I often had work dreams for several months after I quit, battling non existent problems, that wa annoying. I still do after 6 years, but they are very few and far between now, a couple times a year now.

I still wake up around 5am with no alarm, I got up at 4:45am when I was working. I guess that habit may never go away?

I’ve told people it took about 2 months to fully realize I didn’t have to go to work anymore and about 2 years to settle into a new routine and realize I never would go back to work. The transition was painless and positive mostly.

My only regret is being retired up north, winter is not as enjoyable as spring, summer or fall to me. But we’ll move south one of these days...

And you probably realize early retirees don’t have many peers to play with. I knew none of my like age peers were retiring, but it really registered once I retired. I had planned to join senior and other groups, and have, but other members are almost always much older. I’m just not ready to hang out with people 10-20 years older than I am as a steady diet, I’m too way too active.

Last edited:
Did anyone get the "damn I should not have done this yet" feeling? And how long did it take before the non-working (at least full time) life started to feel more natural?

In my case: No adjustment period at all. Nada. Zilch.

+1. It didn't feel 'normal' for a couple months, but it always felt good. I'm 10 months in and have been occupied pretty much all the time with either travel or editing photos from the travel. DW says it was a big adjustment having me at home all the time tho.

Thanks to everyone for these excellent responses. Very helpful and encouraging. Big decision but great to get these perspectives.

Very short adjustment period. It occurred when I first switched from working full-time to part-time back in 2001. I began being able to do stuff during the day on weekdays, something I rarely was able to do when working full-time. I also resumed being able to do more stuff on weeknights, also a rarity over the years when working full-time because I was so worn out after the long, tiring commute. In short, I had regained control over my personal life.

Even if I had nothing planned on those freed-up weekdays, it was so nice not having to live by an alarm clock and a train schedule many more days than before. The only times I felt that way was when I took a lot of consecutive extra days off from work, and that happened once or twice a year. Now it happened regularly.

Everyone's adjustment maybe different but I would suggest retiring to something.

For me after 35 years putting in 10 to 12 hours a day and basically working on weekends it took me sometime to unwind. The adjustment for me was the fast pace life I had while working and still finding every extra second doing the things I loved to do.

Now I don't have to hurry and live life at a slow pace do what I want to do when ever I want to do it. That took a while for me. I also have many hobbies I hunt, fish, hike and spend time at the ranch. I wish now I would have retired sooner.

Not taking anything away from your career when you leave there will be someone waiting to do your job just like you did it. We are all replaceable a sad thing but it is true.

It took me about 5 seconds to get used to it. You will likely waste a few days, but be able to get into the groove fast.

Every day be thinking, "If I was not working today, what would I be doing?". Plan some trips, home improvements, etc.

None. I played a lot of golf early on and had an aging mom and aunt(both 90+) to look after. My days were full.

I've been retired for about 1.5 years now. Like many people, I made a big list of things to do. Where I needed to really adjust was in pacing myself. I think I tried to do about 5 years worth of to-do list material in the first week I was retired. I'd work on stuff from 7:00 AM to 11:00 PM. I got a lot done, but I was exhausted! After a couple of months I realized I was being silly, and backed down a bit. It still took me another few months after that to be comfortable with the idea of an "unproductive" day. Now I'm much more relaxed. A perfect day for me is if I can do something productive, learn something new, and do something fun or enjoyable. Most days I can easily hit two of the three. And I've learned the value of a good afternoon nap. So yeah, I guess I'm over my adjustment period.

I never thought of the question of my peers not there to fill any time. We went to Mexico for a few years and many others at many ages were there to hang with if we wanted. Spent many evenings forming friends over a meal and met a myriad of people from all over the world. Awesome experience and will likely do it again when we "retire" again. Many here live fall/winter/spring and go home for 4-6 months during the summer. We lived here in the summer and it was extremely humid, so I'd never recommend that. I could definitely see ourselves on Cozumel island one day, again.

Attachments

• IMG_20180131_063512.jpg
    IMG_20180131_063512.jpg
    562.1 KB · Views: 61
Back
Top Bottom