Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-10-2017, 04:36 PM   #121
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtest View Post
Catching a sunset from a nice/new vantage point is my favorite "simple" thing to do. Along with taking a walk through nature.

no two sunsets are the same.
I definitely knew it was time to go when I could not longer appreciate even the most beautiful of sunsets. It was as if I had died inside...
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2017, 01:07 PM   #122
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBear View Post
Maybe they didn't even read your review, of they would have "got it"!
Of course not. Nobody read those. It is just a check mark in the corporate bureaucracy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBear View Post
I definitely knew it was time to go when I could not longer appreciate even the most beautiful of sunsets. It was as if I had died inside...
Yes you did not reframe to remain positive. I did so was not ready to retire but it was time. I wanted 25 years of retirement, and preferably 35.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:46 AM   #123
Give me a forum ...

I came across an old Word file which contained a funny employee evaluation form. I never had to use one of these back in my working days. Did you? [I bleeped out some of the bad language. Moderators, if you need to bleep out any of the less salty language, please do so, with my apologies.]

EMPLOYEE PERFORMANCE EVALUATION FORM

Name ___________________________________ Title ________________________________
Department ______________________________ Supervisor ___________________________
Date Employed ___________________________ Date of Last Evaluation _________________

Knowledge ___ This son of a bitch really knows his ****.
___ Knows most phases of his job.
___ Knows just enough to be dangerous.
___ Stupid bastard; couldn’t hit his ass with both hands.
___ F***ker is brain-damaged; a coffee cup has a higher IQ.

Accuracy ___ Does excellent work, if not preoccupied with sex.
___ Pretty good; only occasionally blows it out his ass.
___ Doesn’t give a s**t if his output is right or wrong.
___ Does s**tty work and constantly f***s up.
___ Couldn’t count his balls and get the same number twice.

Rate of Work ___ Fastest mother***er I ever saw.
___ Fast son of a bitch, if he thinks he’ll get a raise.
___ Does a lot of work, at salary-review time.
___ Works only if kicked in the ass every five minutes.
___ Couldn’t do less work if he were in a coma.

Dependability ___ A very dependable little c**k-sucker.
___ Usually dependable, at salary-review time.
___ Conscientious, only if sex urge is satisfied.
___ Can depend on him to be the first one to leave at 4 PM.
___ Completely incompetent; totally f***ing worthless.

Co-operation ___ Extremely co-operative; alias, “Office Brown Necker”.
___ Brown noser in good standing.
___ Co-operative only if his ass is kissed frequently.
___ Thinks it is his job to piss off his coworkers.
___ Doesn’t give a s**t; never has, never will.

Appearance ___ Extremely neat and orderly; even combs his pubic hairs,
___ Neat and orderly, at salary review time.
___ Needs to be introduced to toothpaste and deodorant.
___ Sloppy, dirty, filthy, smelly bastard.
___ Flies leave fresh dog **** to follow him.

Leadership ___ Carries chain saw around and gets good results.
___ Constantly pisses off the troops.
___ Occasionally gets told to get f**ked.
___ Only the janitors obey him.
___ Couldn’t lead a pack of starving wolves to fresh meat.

I have read and I understand my evaluation. I will attempt to correct all deficiencies.

Employee signature ______________________________________________ Date _______________
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 10:18 PM   #124
Recycles dryer sheets

1. Waking up and relaxing (maybe check emails, facebook or reading) before getting out of bed. Maybe I'm just lazy but I was never a morning person and now I don't have to be!

2. Doing errands and going places without feeling rushed.

3. Simple day trips and drives, exploring and finding fun out of the way places.

4. No more business attire and weekly dry cleaners! (Cotton is just fine in Florida)

Sent from my KFTHWA using Tapatalk HD
Debinnov a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 06:54 PM   #125

1. Realizing that all of those small things that I knew I wanted to do (Usually minor projects, organizing, just cleaning up an area, etc.) that I always thought "Yeah, Like when you are going to have time to do that?"... are now not only do-able, but many are perfect little distractions for my ADD side. Even the stuff I love doing, I don't want to do for 6-8 hours at a time.

2. Trying to get out every weekday after lunch with our 2 dogs for a 1-2 mile walk/hike. We live in a rural area with lots and lots of conservation/Land Trust trails in woods, meadows and around lakes and ponds. Oddly enough, also enjoying the challenge of doing this in the middle of a New England winter. Learning about dressing in non-cotton layers and ice spikes for my boots. Also download a map my hike app for my phone and try to make at least 2 walks a week a "power" walk and maintain a 3-4mph pace. Our dogs love me even more now and have learned to recognize when I am putting the hiking boots on.

3. Weekdays, I set my alarm for 9:00. Am not, and never have been, a morning person and am perfectly capable of sleeping until 10:30-11:00. But by setting my alarm, I at least give myself the option and have to make a conscience decision to stay in bed past 9:00 (So far have just hammered the snooze button 4-6 times!).
doneat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 07:03 AM   #126
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doneat54 View Post
1. Realizing that all of those small things that I knew I wanted to do (Usually minor projects, organizing, just cleaning up an area, etc.) that I always thought "Yeah, Like when you are going to have time to do that?"... are now not only do-able, but many are perfect little distractions for my ADD side.
And you can spend as much time on the minor project as you want, to bring it to neurotic perfection. So many times I have stopped at OK, which was all I had time for when working, then realized that I could keep going until truly satisfied with it.
misshathaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 07:23 AM   #127

Grocery shopping at 9AM on weekday. Working on a project and following where that project leads. Being outside in the middle of the day. Complete absence of fatigue.
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 05:24 PM   #128
Dryer sheet wannabe

Sunday afternoons and no anxiety, wearing jeans every day unless I have a wedding or funeral. Smiling all the time when I realize I truly can do whatever I want whenever I want
Lloydwtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 09:50 PM   #129
Dryer sheet wannabe

I retired 3.5 years ago at 42. I still have to remind myself to slow down sometimes. I try as much as possible to enjoy the simple things everyday. I feel very blessed and fortunate to have retired at such a young age. I'm considering part-time work at the moment, but it must be something I enjoy. Until then I'll just enjoy no alarm clock, coffee, music, walking, riding my bike, my dogs, and time with family and friends. I feel the greatest gift we have as Retirees is "TIME."
ER-Troy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 09:28 AM   #130
Full time employment: Posting here.

We had a blizzard yesterday. This morning the driveway had a foot of snow and 2 1/2 feet of snowplow snow at the end. What relief to have no time limit for getting it shoveled and no worry about road conditions because I don't have to go anywhere.

I remember so many occasions at work when it would start snowing and I'd be worried about driving home and whether or not I'd have to shovel to get in to the driveway when I got there.
misshathaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 10:56 AM   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER-Troy View Post
Until then I'll just enjoy no alarm clock, coffee, music, walking, riding my bike, my dogs, and time with family and friends. I feel the greatest gift we have as Retirees is "TIME."
+1
And welcome to the forum.
Old 02-10-2017, 06:27 PM   #132
Dryer sheet wannabe

On the few occasions I have to make an an appointment. I always ask for 11 am. Not sure why, but seems like a good time since I've been retired. Just another simple thing I enjoy now that Time doesn't seem such a big deal.
Old 02-10-2017, 06:36 PM   #133
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
+1

And welcome to the forum.

Thank you! Really good forum!
Old 02-11-2017, 08:31 AM   #134
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by misshathaway View Post
We had a blizzard yesterday. This morning the driveway had a foot of snow and 2 1/2 feet of snowplow snow at the end. What relief to have no time limit for getting it shoveled and no worry about road conditions because I don't have to go anywhere.

I remember so many occasions at work when it would start snowing and I'd be worried about driving home and whether or not I'd have to shovel to get in to the driveway when I got there.
This is also one of my simple pleasures...I used to have to shovel my long driveway and deck (access to back door) after w*rk and before band members started showing up hauling gear for rehearsal. I've always liked shoveling, but not in a restricted time frame trying to get it done 10 minutes before people showed up.
Music Lover is online now   Reply With Quote