Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

The Best "Simple Things" in Retirement?
Old 12-06-2016, 10:07 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Well, I have just passed the two year point of being retired and I can say (and have said several times before) that this has been the best time of my life. Being able to retire fairly young was/is a blessing that I do not take for granted. As I was glancing over the forum, I was amazed at the different topics that are covered and how helpful folks are around here and how it might be helping others to get FIREd, too. With that, I thought that an entertaining topic might be one about what are the "simple things" that you relish the most about being retired? There are lots of generalities about the benefits of being retired, but there are so many other "little things" that make it GREAT. So, how about listing a few of the simple things you love about being retired? Here are a couple of mine:

1) I Enjoy Mornings Now Before I retired, I hated mornings. I remember being a little kid and loathing my walk to the bus stop. I hated breakfast, I hated cartoons (that early, anyway) and I hated talking to people before noon. That attitude remained into adulthood until I didn't *have* to get up at an appointed time anymore. Today, I get up earlier than ever and I love it. I have no alarm and I can *enjoy* my coffee...not just chug it down to "wake me up". You know all the commercials for Folgers where everyone is SOOOO happy when they are up and around in the morning? Yeah, those folks are all retired!

2) I Don't Have To Be Anywhere I Don't Want To Be This is a combination of lots of little things. Not dealing with bosses. Not sitting in traffic. Not coming home from a trip because I have w*rk on Monday. It's a freedom that is difficult to describe, but one that I cherish. Just today, the rain was making the commute absolutely miserable for a vast majority of the folks in my area. For me? I cracked open the back door and laid in bed for just a little longer and enjoyed the soothing sounds of the rain. It is simply heaven on earth.

Well, I could go on and on, but that's not the point of this thread, so I will turn it over to the good users out there!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2016, 10:26 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

"You're killin' me, Smalls......"

2 years to go!!
Old 12-06-2016, 11:20 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Traffic.
I live only about 10 minutes from the office, but I would typically drive there, swap out my personal car for a pool car, and spend the day keeping appointments, usually involving L.A. freeway travel. Now when I hear traffic reports on the news I just smile 'cause I don't have to deal with it or even pay attention to it.
Old 12-06-2016, 11:23 AM   #4

On Year Six of ER here and my list of Simple Things would be:
- Doing my shopping midweek instead of on weekends. Everyone is so much nicer, less stressed, patient - both sales staff and fellow customers.
- Going hiking midweek, just because we can. Parking spots are plentiful and the trails are so quiet compared to the weekend.
- Going to the gym late morning when it's nice and quiet relative to the AM, Lunch and PM rushes.
- Going to lunch after the midweek worker rush, and lingering for as long as we wish.
- Doing things at night midweek, such as going to a concert or live theater, because we aren't stressed, tired, working late, etc.
- Visiting our family, particularly the grandkids, during the week to try and help take pressure off Mom and Dad by cooking, light cleaning, entertaining the little ones, etc, then leaving to return home on Friday nights so they can have their weekends in privacy.

I might return with more, but that's probably a good start.
ElizabethT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 11:25 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Just getting up at my leisure w/o having anything planned.
Old 12-06-2016, 11:28 AM   #6

Send a message via ICQ to hesperus Send a message via AIM to hesperus Send a message via Yahoo to hesperus
The lack of stress when people talk about the stress of their jobs.
hesperus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 11:35 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Haha, I'd agree with all of the above! I've been ER'd for just over two months now.

The only thing that I'd add is that I no longer have to communicate with a boss. Unfortunately my last boss didn't like me and was manipulative. My blood pressure is down 10-15 points from when I was employed
l8_apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 11:43 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yesterday, upon completing a massive two-year project to optimize my health (by getting two final immunizations appropriate for my age), I rewarded myself by finally going into an inviting bakery I had wanted to visit. Every morning on my commute while working I would drive by but never had the time to go in. Yesterday my reward was this cozy little place. No overcrowded, harsh, loud, and fake starbucks "atmosphere" here. No, the place was delicously deserted and peaceful. I sat by the window, had my mocha and (of course) continued reading the book I'd taken with me to the doctor's office. At one point, some old song came on and I looked up thinking that this was one of life's moments.
Options is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 11:46 AM   #9

The freedom to sit here with my kitties, and a hot chocolate spiked with whisky, and binge-watch as many Amazon Prime videos as I want - all day, if I like

The best part is getting out of bed whenever I want in the knowledge that I can do whatever I want.

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 12:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
Not dealing with bosses. Not sitting in traffic. Not coming home from a trip because I have w*rk on Monday.
Absolutely, these are all at the top of my list. Yesterday I went out to meet a friend for a few hours and ending up heading home right around 4pm. Oh boy... what a miserable 40 minutes that turned out to be. All the way home I was muttering and cursing at the hoardes of worker-bee drones in their cars, clogging up the roadways like lemmings marching towards a cliff. Made me truly appreciative that I hardly ever have to deal with that sort of insanity anymore. And it really does seem like some bizarre combination of insanity and masochism when you're unexpectedly caught in it after several years of freedom.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 12:24 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I no longer have to spend 10 hrs. a day on the telephone. And since cutting off my cell phone, I'm like a bird out of a cage.

Having a 5 year old Brynley wake up and tell me "I love you Big Dad."

Walking down 27 steps to my boathouse, punching a button and my 24' boat lowers into the water. I'm gone in 60 seconds.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 12:28 PM   #12

Not feeling rushed when I drive.
Disconnecting from my past career.
Taking better care of myself, even being a little self-indulgent on a regular basis.
Having the ability to be totally flexible. It's all good.
Monday used to be my most hated day of the week, now it's my favorite...
Starsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 01:45 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Being able to stay home when I'm sick.
Not feeling guilty for taking a 3 week vacation.
Not having to wonder if I have to cancel or postpone my 3 week vacation.
Not having to suck up to people that I consider my intellectual inferiors.

Never having another performance review.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 02:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Never having another performance review.
For my technical work, I get to define and apply my own standards for what constitutes excellence. This is huge. 😎
socca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 02:58 PM   #15

Sitting out on my front porch reading, watching the planes, and looking at the 2000 foot mountain 2 miles from my house.
In the summer, after dinner we go out on our porch, DW plugs Pandora into our mini speakers, and we read and watch the sunset.
I now have time during the week to fly patients for Angel Flight West.
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 03:14 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Sitting on the balcony watching the ocean waves while drinking my coffee in the morning or wine in the afternoon or evening. And taking a nap in between if I want.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 03:42 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
2) I Don't Have To Be Anywhere I Don't Want To Be
4 months to go. This will be a big one for me. I travel quite a bit to customers, and I want control of my time again.

Quote:
Not feeling guilty for taking a 3 week vacation.
Not having to wonder if I have to cancel or postpone my 3 week vacation.
This one has not been so bad. I have been taking 2 - 2 1/2 week vacations for a while, and did 3 weeks to Norway in September. I just book them and go.
Old 12-06-2016, 03:42 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

No driving to work
Not having to make calls to clients
Going to the fitness center in the morning on my schedule
Riding my bike every day weather permitting
Hiking regularly
Going back to school
treypar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 03:44 PM   #19

Getting two EFT's to my bank account every month like clockwork. One on the 15th and one on the last day of the month.
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 04:07 PM   #20

Freedom to not feel obligated to explain anything to anyone.