Join Early Retirement Today

The best thing about retirement in one picture
Old 07-05-2019, 10:05 AM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

The best thing about retirement in one picture

I just passed my one year anniversary of retirement and I am loving it. I just want to thank everyone on this site for your valuable insight and wisdom on this part of life. After reflecting on my first year, I wanted to capture the joy in one picture and post it. Again, thanks to everyone on this site!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2499.jpg (447.8 KB, 204 views)
jpz62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2019, 10:48 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

that's a lot of keys!!
It is so nice to be rid of the clutter of our work life.
Enjoying every day :-)
Old 07-05-2019, 11:43 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

That pretty much sums it up right there!
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 12:05 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Congrats on your 1 year retire-versary.

I LOVE the image! That is the picture of freedom.

I still have 18 months to go before retirement, but I was thinking the other day about "things" I can unburden myself of when I retire. One of the major ones is the long list of passwords I have to maintain for all the various programs and platforms at w#rk. Our IT guys (quite rightly) insist that we use different passwords for everything, and they have to be changed every 60-90 days to boot. Because I w#rk at home some days, I have to keep track of the same list of passwords there.

In my case I only need one security key fob to access all areas at w#rk, but I consider the passwords to be my "digital key fobs" and I can't wait until I can leave them behind.

Unfortunately I won't be able to post a similar picture of "before" and "after" when I unburden myself of them!
Old 07-05-2019, 12:10 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

That does summarize pretty well. For me, I would say this is fitting as I need to remember when to roll the trash to the curb.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (25.4 KB, 554 views)
Old 07-05-2019, 12:13 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

With 2 houses and 4 cars, I have to keep two key chains. One day, I'm going to figure out what all those keys actually go to. I also have keys to my fifth wheel camper and boats kept in a safe--so I don't lose'em.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 12:45 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I am still about 8-10 years out but can imagine a world without piles of stupid emails that have been forwarded so many times that it is sometimes difficult to figure out what is being communicated.
Audie Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 12:52 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Location: An island off the coast of Florida. (Ok - if you really need to know it's Vero Beach)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpz62 View Post
I just passed my one year anniversary of retirement and I am loving it. I just want to thank everyone on this site for your valuable insight and wisdom on this part of life. After reflecting on my first year, I wanted to capture the joy in one picture and post it. Again, thanks to everyone on this site!!
Perfect visual for un-complicating life!
DW and I are 62/62. 100% equities 31 years. FIRE'd August 2019. Non-cola pension cashed out Dec 2022 before segmentation rates reduced balance - rolled to MM fund, max SS for DH and DW at FRA. Mega retiree health available. IRA rollover from 401k Jan 2020 for NUA treatment. LTCG for 3 years. Next few years will be IRA cash withdrawals or until Stock Market recovers. AA 33% stocks, 67% MM and T-Bills. Rising equity glidepath.
atmsmshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 12:57 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Dayum that's a lot of keys you have there, O Royal Keymaster! I had to shed only one key when I left my old company, a small desk key. Still, it felt good to get rid of it anyway.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This....in 18 months
Old 07-05-2019, 01:08 PM   #10

This....in 18 months

I found my image!

Alarm Clock Slayer.png
Old 07-05-2019, 01:09 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 02:37 PM   #12

My eventual goal is no keys at all (at least physical). I use an electronic door lock for my condo, and have a card key at w$rk. I carry around one bike key, one stairwell gate key, and one mailbox key at present (and a car key on the weekends)....way too many!
Old 07-05-2019, 03:21 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audie Murphy View Post
I am still about 8-10 years out but can imagine a world without piles of stupid emails that have been forwarded so many times that it is sometimes difficult to figure out what is being communicated.
Don't worry...they will still come in. Sure, they may not be w*rk related, but they'll be there. Before unsubscribing from *all* emails from the Veteran's Administration, I was getting 5-8 emails A DAY from them.
Old 07-05-2019, 03:37 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audie Murphy View Post
For personal emails, Unsubscribe is your friend.
Old 07-05-2019, 03:50 PM   #15

You can get one of those Push Button Locks .. so no more keys. Unless you have Alzheimer's , this should work.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Schlage-...-716/307452106
Old 07-05-2019, 04:02 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyber888 View Post
You can get one of those Push Button Locks .. so no more keys. Unless you have Alzheimer's , this should work.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Schlage-...-716/307452106
I have had two predecessors to this lock for about eight years...and I love them! The only problem occurred when I went on vacation for three weeks and came back to a dead battery. I didn't have the backup key available, and had to call the locksmith.
Old 07-05-2019, 06:15 PM   #17
Confused about dryer sheets

I was a high school principal. Too many doors to count!!
jpz62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 09:33 PM   #18

I have only one key ( to the door of my apartment). last week, I went with the nanny to pick up my son from school and when I got home realized I had forgotten my key. After a bit of to do, called my Wife to take a taxi home from work to open the door, I realized I could open the door with a CC! Now I don't carry the key and chain any more.
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 10:13 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
With 2 houses and 4 cars, I have to keep two key chains. One day, I'm going to figure out what all those keys actually go to. I also have keys to my fifth wheel camper and boats kept in a safe--so I don't lose'em.
assuming you're not renting out the second home why not have both homes keyed the same? everything fits on one ring.
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 10:35 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

I was able to ditch 2 work related keys on retirement and so my daily key ring consists of only 2 keys. I also keep my car key on a separate key ring now as we walk or bike to most things and I rarely need the car keys! After years of long distance commuting this is one of the best parts for me!