The Class of 2011

Retired 1/1/11.......62......had to wait till I could get SS!

Retired 1-1-11 at 54.
In one sense, I've planned this since I was 24 or so--1st year 401Ks came into being. I planned to retire at 30 years in but got promoted in 2008 so stayed in a bit past to boost the pension. By April 2010 I knew I had to get out...and put in for retirement in October 2010 to be effective this month.

We have been planning for our retirement from the first day we went to work...but never put an actual date on it until the last month. Just woke up and realized we had the financial ability to do this and what are we waiting for. Biggest concern we have is a son in college (20 years old), but we have a college fund to cover his expenses so hoping there are no unknowns there.
We have ability to do consulting jobs for a few months each year which if we decide to do may ease us into ER with a little less stress.
Am looking forward to regaining my life. It was a lot easier and really was fun when I was younger, but now it has turned into such a stress ridden career that I know that our health is going to be affected if we don't make a move soon.

I've been "spying" on these forums for quite a while. I didn't really feel qualified to post anything. Well, my time has come.

57 and a 35 year long career will have me retired on 8/15/11!!! I started planning for retirement 30 years ago. My "min" was age 55 with 33 years. That had the house paid for and both kids through college. Both of those things happened earlier, I helped both kids get into their own homes, and I just socked it away.

I'm going to be able to retire due to two things: a very good income and living on 50-60% of that income my whole life. This does two things: 1) you save a bunch, 2) you don't have to change your spending in retirement because you did that 30 years ago!

Got doubts and butterflys galore, (medical insurance is my big boogie man, even though I have some of it paid for by my company for now), but I've run the numbers everyway I can. I've just been working for the kids the last few years. Saving a significant amount each month is going to be missed. I'm not sure how I'll react to not saving, or measuring saving by the amount I withdraw.

Another unnerving thing is that I'll be one of the younger folks who retire where I work. Most go 39-42 years if they can. Maybe they didn't save like I did, or are just greedy. I do see greed sneaking into my thinking, probably more than fear.

Anyway, the closer I get, the more it seems to make sense. It is getting Soooo tough to get ready for work in the morning now........

Class of 2011 - I''ve tried to update correctly, please feel free to add or correct:

afntrn56 (55)
bizlady (55)
cj
dessert (60)
heyduke (55)
Jacmac (53)
Jacmac DH (56)
kwblack (54)
Midpack (57)
Purron DH
RunningBum (49)
Skye (62)
zaqxsw (57)

I was planning for July 2012 but the way things are going I might as well FIRE in 2011. Still conflicted about it.

Midpack - thanks for keeping track. Assuming the numbers in parenthesis are our ages, I'll be 56.

an update here with only four more mondays to work... we bought our future home last friday - a 2007 Allegro Bay 37QDP... look out world...

Just an update, feel free to make changes or adds yourselves...
Class of 2011 - I''ve tried to update correctly, please feel free to add or correct:

afntrn56 (55)
bizlady (55)
cj (56)
dessert (60)
heyduke (55)
Jacmac (53)
Jacmac DH (56)
kwblack (54)
Midpack (57)
Purron DH
RunningBum (49)
Skye (62)
zaqxsw (57)

Just an update, feel free to make changes or adds yourselves...you don't want me in charge of this!

afntrn56 (55)
bizlady (55)
cj (56)
dessert (60)
heyduke (55)
Jacmac (53)
Jacmac DH (56)
KingB (62)
kwblack (54)
martyp (55)
Midpack (57)
Purron DH
RunningBum (49)
Skye (62)
zaqxsw (57)

Feb 1st today and already the list is up to 14.

Well done folks, it's going to be a great year.

I have 14 working days left. I made my official notifications to HR and my boss on Jan 3. It took me two days to figure out why I felt so different after that. I finally realized I was completely relaxed without a care in the world . It was totally unexpected and I'm still enjoying it. Now if I can keep the nitwits on Hiway 146 from running over me for three more weeks I'm home free. I'm 56 and have planned this exact date for many, many years.

I made my official notifications to HR and my boss on Jan 3. It took me two days to figure out why I felt so different after that. I finally realized I was completely relaxed without a care in the world.

Funny how that goes isn't it?

Congratulations :dance:

Congratulations JmfromTx and welcome to the class. 14 days is nothing. Enjoy them and leave with a smile.

My DH is retiring at the end of May at age 55.

My situation is another story....still overcome with dizzy exhaustion from selling 3 apt buildings at once at the end of 2010, but lost a Apt Manager this month & its back to work I go (HI HO HI HO HI HO!).

Waiting to see some stabilization before I decide what to do with the last of My Real Estate empire....!!:confused:

Just an update, feel free to make changes or adds yourselves...you don't want me in charge of this!

afntrn56 (55)
bizlady (55)
cj (56)
dessert (60)
heyduke (55)
Jacmac (53)
Jacmac DH (56)
JmfromTx (56)
KingB (62)
kwblack (54)
martyp (55)
Midpack (29)
NW Landlady DH (55)
Purron DH
RunningBum (49)
Skye (62)
zaqxsw (57)

5 working days left. Technically more than that, but I'm not expected to do anything in the 30 days I have to accept the separation agreement I'll be offered next Tuesday, and I'll have to drive 3.5 hours to the office to turn in equipment. I don't plan on doing that until early March.

Congratulation to the 2011 class. Come on it the waters warm, well at least were I live :)

afntrn56 (55)
bizlady (55)
chinaco ?
cj (56)
dessert (60)
heyduke (55)
Jacmac (53)
Jacmac DH (56)
JmfromTx (56)
KingB (62)
kwblack (54)
martyp (55)
Midpack (29)
NW Landlady DH (55)
Purron DH
RunningBum (49)
Skye (62)
zaqxsw (57)

You're doing a great job. I'm enjoying seeing the list develop.

afntrn56 (55)
bizlady (55)
chinaco ?
cj (56)
dessert (60)
heyduke (55)
Jacmac (53)
Jacmac DH (56)
JmfromTx (56)
KingB (62)
kwblack (54)
martyp (55)