The Class of 2011

Just an update, feel free to make changes or adds yourselves...you don't want me in charge of this! Just add your name (with retirement age in parens)

afntrn56 (55)
bizlady (55)
bob boag (55)
chinaco (35)
cj (56)
dessert (60)
frugal-one (??)
heyduke (55)
Jacmac (53)
Jacmac DH (56)
JmfromTx (56)
KingB (62)
kwblack (54)
martyp (55)
Midpack (29)
NW Landlady DH (55)
Purron DH
RunningBum (49)
Skye (62)
zaqxsw (57)

Just an update, feel free to make changes or adds yourselves...you don't want me in charge of this! Just add your name (with retirement age in parens)

afntrn56 (55)
bizlady (55)
bob boag (55)
chinaco (35)
cj (56)
dessert (60)
frugal-one (??)
heyduke (55)
Jacmac (53)
Jacmac DH (56)
JmfromTx (56)
KingB (62)
kwblack (54)
martyp (55)
Midpack (29)
NW Landlady DH (55)
Purron DH (55)
RunningBum (49)
Skye (62)
zaqxsw (57)

Added DH's age. His last day is 2/28/11. He'll be 56 on 3/5/11. Nice birthday present:D

Congratulations JmfromTx and welcome to the class. 14 days is nothing. Enjoy them and leave with a smile.
14 days is nothing but it will feel like forever. And it gets worse as the ER day gets closer.

Dear JmfromTx --- I am so happy for you. Please keep posting to let us know how you feel on your actual last day at work and then your first month of ER, then periodically after that. It is wonderful to read about success stories such as yours. I love the part where you wrote "have planned this exact date for many, many years." How many years exactly? Please tell.

I am in my planning phase right now and enjoy reading about your journey.

Added DH's age. His last day is 2/28/11. He'll be 56 on 3/5/11. Nice birthday present:D

That should be a great birthday present, I expect you have something special planned for this particular birthday.

Dear JmfromTx --- I am so happy for you. Please keep posting to let us know how you feel on your actual last day at work and then your first month of ER, then periodically after that. It is wonderful to read about success stories such as yours. I love the part where you wrote "have planned this exact date for many, many years." How many years exactly? Please tell.

I am in my planning phase right now and enjoy reading about your journey.

+1
I also enjoy reading about these experiences.

I am a short-timer and seem to be walking around with a grin on my face all the time. The truth is, I still really like my job and boss and coworkers, and I really do care about the organization and worry about the knowledge I will be taking away with me. But a month ago, they finally hired a guy who will be taking my responsibilities, and wow, is he going to be good. It's really made it easier to think about leaving. I am spending most of my time training him, and he's soaking it up like a sponge. And he's a super-nice guy, 25 years old.

Because I'm in such a good mood, I just extended my stay with some cool caveats - instead of being off the payroll on March 31 like I planned, I will be staying through April 30, BUT - I will only work one day a week in April (as opposed to my normal 3 days per week). So, paychecks for all of April for 4 days' work. What the heck? 24 more days to work and counting!!

I'm 56 and have planned this exact date for many, many years.

In my case I hadn't been planning on retiring at all. The realization that I could retire came very fast and I made the decision a week later. I would think that planning for retirement for many many years would be excruciating. It was a very long 6 months between my decision to retire and the day I left work.

martyp, boy, I'm going through that right now. Countdown timer at 177 days (~6 mos.) and it is tough. I'm in a period of work with a lot of turmoil, and I'm having to go through it to hit my planned date of 8/12/11.

I won't be announcing until the first week of May (after bonus and merit lump sum). I think then it may get better cause they will know I can't be counted on long term.

martyp, boy, I'm going through that right now. Countdown timer at 177 days (~6 mos.) and it is tough. I'm in a period of work with a lot of turmoil, and I'm having to go through it to hit my planned date of 8/12/11.

I won't be announcing until the first week of May (after bonus and merit lump sum). I think then it may get better cause they will know I can't be counted on long term.

The worst time was between June and September when I then announced my retirement at work. From September to November things got a bit better having made the announcement. I slowly started to relax more on the weekends. By November I had shed my employees, purged my office of stuff, and basically had nothing to do for the last 3 weeks. It was bored and trying (in vain) to "look busy".

Retire2014, I talked about it from the time I realized I had a good stable job and a good stable marriage. I got serious about it when we sent a check for 20k (big money, I was nervous) to Vanguard the year before the Roth IRA started, I don't remember the exact year, 96, 97? Today is my 30th anniversary with the company which sets me free.

It was bored and trying (in vain) to "look busy".
I have enough to do, but I am already struggling considerably with bored, and I still have until end of June to go. I am used to working on projects that take a year or more, and I really can't start some things that I can't see to the end.

I am also having a hard time resisting telling people I have worked with for almost 20 years, but I know it's best if I wait until close to the end, and intend to do just that. I'll only be out in the open for about 3 weeks, then gone...as it has to be.

afntrn56 (55)
bizlady (55)
bob boag (55)
chinaco (35)
cj (56)
dessert (60)
frugal-one (??)
heyduke (55)
Jacmac (53)
Jacmac DH (56)
jimbohoward69 (41)

JmfromTx (56)
KingB (62)
kwblack (54)
martyp (55)
Midpack (29)
NW Landlady DH (55)
Purron DH (55)
RunningBum (49)
Skye (62)
zaqxsw (57)

Set the ER date for June 6! Told my boss three weeks ago, and thought it would be a secret for awhile, but then they advertised my position on USA Jobs, and so everyone knows. Two or three folks each day ask me what is going on, and what j*b I am taking when I leave, and when I say I am not really sure I will ever work again they look at me incredulously . . . .

Congratulation to the 2011 class. Come on it the waters warm, well at least were I live :)

OK, I have convinced the DW to sell the house and move to Vegas (halfway to Hawaii). We will rent in Vegas, while I convince her to go the rest of the way to Hawaii!!

afntrn56 (55)
bizlady (55)
bob boag (55)
chinaco (35)
cj (56)
dessert (60)
frugal-one (??)
heyduke (55)
Jacmac (53)
Jacmac DH (56)
jimbohoward69 (41)
JmfromTx (56)
KingB (62)
kwblack (54)
martyp (55)
Midpack (57)
NW Landlady DH (55)
OhSoClose (??)
Purron DH (55)
RunningBum (49)
Skye (62)
zaqxsw (57)

Hey, I will turn 54 shortly befor my last day (June 6). I fixed the list below. :):):):):):):)

afntrn56 (55)
bizlady (55)

bob boag (55)
chinaco (35)
cj (56)
dessert (60)
frugal-one (??)
heyduke (55)
Jacmac (53)
Jacmac DH (56)
jimbohoward69 (41)
JmfromTx (56)
KingB (62)
kwblack (54)
martyp (55)
Midpack (57)
NW Landlady DH (55)
OhSoClose (54)
Purron DH (55)
RunningBum (49)
Skye (62)
zaqxsw (57)

I think it would be nice if everyone changed the font color of their name when they get the deed done.

afntrn56 (55)
bizlady (55)

bob boag (55)
chinaco (35)
cj (56)
dessert (60)
frugal-one (??)
heyduke (55)
Jacmac (53)
Jacmac DH (56)
jimbohoward69 (41)
JmfromTx (56)
KingB (62)
kwblack (54)
martyp (55)
Midpack (57)
NW Landlady DH (55)
OhSoClose (54)
Purron DH (55)
RunningBum (49)
Skye (62)
zaqxsw (57)

On another thread today Chinaco says he will be 55. I like the idea of changing colors as ER happens.

afntrn56 (55)
bizlady (55)
bob boag (55)
chinaco (55)
cj (56)
dessert (60)
frugal-one (??)
heyduke (55)
Jacmac (53)
Jacmac DH (56)
jimbohoward69 (41)
JmfromTx (56)
KingB (62)
kwblack (54)
martyp (55)
Midpack (57)
NW Landlady DH (55)
OhSoClose (54)
Purron DH (55)
RunningBum (49)
Skye (62)
zaqxsw (57)[/QUOTE]

Count me in. I've added myself below, and when the big day arrives for me in August, I will color me happy :).

afntrn56 (55)
bizlady (55)
bob boag (55)
chinaco (55)
cj (56)
dessert (60)
frugal-one (??)
heyduke (55)
Jacmac (53)
Jacmac DH (56)
jimbohoward69 (41)
JmfromTx (56)
KingB (62)
kwblack (54)
martyp (55)
Midpack (57)
NW Landlady DH (55)
OhSoClose (54)
Purron DH (55)
RunningBum (49)
Skye (62)
steelyman (53)
zaqxsw (57)

3 down, 20 to go if I counted right.

afntrn56 (55)
bizlady (55)

bob boag (55)
chinaco (35)
cj (56)
dessert (60)
frugal-one (??)
heyduke (55)
Jacmac (53)
Jacmac DH (56)
jimbohoward69 (41)
JmfromTx (56)
KingB (62)
kwblack (54)
martyp (55)
Midpack (57)
NW Landlady DH (55)
OhSoClose (54)
Purron DH (55)
RunningBum (49)
Skye (62)
zaqxsw (57)

3 down 20 to go looks right, but your list was missing one member? And I thought green might feel more liberating. As always, feel free to make changes or adds yourselves...

afntrn56 (55)
bizlady (55)
bob boag (55)
chinaco (55)
cj (56)
dessert (60)
frugal-one (??)
heyduke (55) :greetings10:
Jacmac (53)
Jacmac DH (56)
jimbohoward69 (41)
JmfromTx (56) :greetings10:
KingB (62)
kwblack (54)
martyp (55)
Midpack (57)
NW Landlady DH (55)
OhSoClose (54)
Purron DH (55) :greetings10:
RunningBum (49)
Skye (62)
steelyman (53)
zaqxsw (57)

I'm loving this. Go green! So appropriate for St. Patrick's Day (not to mention early retirement... :) )

Average 2011 FIRE age is 55.00, distributed thusly:
fire2011.jpg

Back
Top Bottom