Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-04-2020, 03:40 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've not had any high expenses with any of my pound puppies or free dogs to good homes mutts. Just the usual shots and tests and the occasional infection. Never even had worms.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2020, 03:57 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

I have relatives who can't pay all their bills, yet they feed and pay for vet care for feral cats in addition to their own numerous pets. I absolutely love cats and contribute to the ferals' upkeep, but I don't think they should put it before obligations to human creditors.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 04:00 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

She sounds pretty shrewd. Why pay for stuff if you can get others to pay? People will always give on behalf of animals and small kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post

A story from a friend- her doggie chewed up part of a rug and ended up with intestines full of strands of yarn. She started a GoFundMe to raise the $6,000 it took for surgery to get all the yarn out. .
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 04:06 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

The following comments are not directed at OP. Pets can be very expensive and having spent many years volunteering for animal rescue it's apparent a lot of people do not research the cost of owning an animal before getting one. Every rescue I've worked with asks the potential adopters to give a ballpark estimate of what they might have to spend annually. If nothing else it's for education purposes for the applicants.

My experience has been our purebred rescues have cost us a small fortune. Think MRI's, neurologists, cardiologists, major surgeries. Our mutt rescues have for the most part been much cheaper to own but still it's not just feed them food and get shots once a year. Just smaller 'big' vet bills. One year we spent $15,000 on pet costs which included a lot of animals (fosters and our own) having medical issues where we paid all the bills. At least we could take a tax deduction for the foster costs. Still hurts to think about that year!
goingtotravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 04:29 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This may be a local phenomenon, but our local humane societies have been shipping up animals from kill shelters in the South. The black-mouth cur breed was all but unknown up here before three or four years ago (for those not in the know, the cur is an all-purpose farm dog in the South). Now they're popping up on adoption lists.

People have to be careful, though, because many of the southern strays are infected with heartworm. A good friend adopted a cur that supposedly had a clean bill of health but six months later tested positive for heartworm. Treatment was successful, but lengthy and expensive.
Old 07-04-2020, 04:38 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

My pets are my kids. I will spend whatever I want to on them. This is why I save my money. I am going into it with the understanding that they can and will have some high bills along with them. Not just vet bills but I had to pay to kennel my previous dog for years and that certainly adds up fast.
AreWeThereYet0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 06:52 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin View Post
...My point is how does one budget and handle this situation and what do people do that don't have the extra funds to handle these situations. From my observation their were a few other families lined up for the same financial surprise.....your stories welcome!!
each month we put $X into a pet care sinking fund and from that we cover all of "Maggie's" expenses.
Dispatcher, then shift supv, then administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 11:08 PM   #28

Routine yearly vet bills for me are $1200 not counting any actual "new" problems or food/etc. I don't really care - its my kid. (1 senior cat) Things cost money. /shrug It is what is important to me.

I believe you can get care credit for animals though - I think like a credit card with no (or low?) interest.
badatmath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 08:22 AM   #29

We learned long ago to value experiences over things. Our fur-kid is definitely not a "thing." He is, however, an investment. One that pays an enormous return.

There is an old farming adage that goes about like this. Animals may have no voice here, but will have their say when you stand in Final Judgement.
Old 07-05-2020, 09:09 AM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

Our cat, Herbie, is an all white 17 year old love bug. He was diagnosed with Asthma almost 8 years ago and uses an inhaler (with the RX Flovent.). In order to get Flovent at a reasonable cost, I send Herbie RX to a Canadian pharmacy who in turn forwards the RX to a Pharmacy in New Zealand. They subsequently ship the RX back to America. This is done 3 or 4 times a year at a cost of $115 each. We have an inhaler which we administer to Herbie twice a day (prior to feeding time.)

Herbie also has arthritis. He takes a joint supplement and a tranquilizer (Gabapetin) which runs $35 a month.

On Herbie last visit to the vet, he was diagnosed with the beginnings of kidney failure. The vet suggested that we feed him $4 a can cat food. Herbie wanted know part of a glutton free diet - thus we made the decision to feed him his regular food and enjoy his continued quality of life.

He is past due on his semi annual vet appointment but is currently quite content.

ER 12/15/2017
Now: Side Hustle(r) Extraordinaire
IMATERP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 10:19 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

I agree with making sure your purebred pup has good blood lines. We have a 13 year old Maltese puppy mill rescue and he has had a rough life. I didn't think he'd see 2020 but he's still kicking. He's on gabapentin and galliprant for arthritis and pain. He was on prescription dog food, got obese and now eats diet prescription dog food. He probably has Cushings and will eventually not be able to control his functions. He's really a good guy even if he's cranky sometimes. I started grooming both he's really special to groom.

So grooming was $125 every 6 weeks(2 dogs) and his pills he's not cheap. Our vet loves to throw guilt out, sure you don't want to fix his cataracts? Don't you want him to see better? This is in the same conversation we talked about Cushings ending his life prematurely.

Emergency care is expensive our prior Maltese got a dose of rat poison when construction allowed him access a different room. He spent 5 days in intensive care, made a good recovery. In the end the vet couldn't get him to eat, we were going in several times daily to hold him and let him lick food from our fingers.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 10:31 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
I agree with making sure your purebred pup has good blood lines. We have a 13 year old Maltese puppy mill rescue and he has had a rough life. I didn't think he'd see 2020 but he's still kicking. He's on gabapentin and galliprant for arthritis and pain. He was on prescription dog food, got obese and now eats diet prescription dog food. He probably has Cushings and will eventually not be able to control his functions. He's really a good guy even if he's cranky sometimes. I started grooming both he's really special to groom.

So grooming was $125 every 6 weeks(2 dogs) and his pills he's not cheap. Our vet loves to throw guilt out, sure you don't want to fix his cataracts? Don't you want him to see better? This is in the same conversation we talked about Cushings ending his life prematurely.

Emergency care is expensive our prior Maltese got a dose of rat poison when construction allowed him access a different room. He spent 5 days in intensive care, made a good recovery. In the end the vet couldn't get him to eat, we were going in several times daily to hold him and let him lick food from our fingers.
Thanks, do you recall the-cost of that intensive care visit? I'm being told it will be $4K for the 3 days he is there. Just making sure I don't get too fleeced.
Old 07-05-2020, 10:50 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin View Post
Thanks, do you recall the-cost of that intensive care visit? I'm being told it will be $4K for the 3 days he is there. Just making sure I don't get too fleeced.
This was around Y2K and I'm sure its was at least 2500. I think inflation explains any difference.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 11:00 AM   #34

Just recently, my young cat apparently ate a hard plastic office seat bolt cap, causing some obstruction in his digestion, eventually resulting in fatty liver disease. It cost $9k to have it taken out, do several blood transfusions, and a week of hospital care, since he barely made it. My last cat had no significant costs but this incident blew through the discretionary vet bill fund I set up for both cats.

I looked into it and it is a pretty good idea to get pet insurance at least until 7 years old when the cost increases and coverage decreases start to really spike hard.
plex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 11:05 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by plex View Post
Just recently, my young cat apparently ate a hard plastic office seat bolt cap, causing some obstruction in his digestion, eventually resulting fatty liver disease. It cost $9k to have it taken out, do several blood transfusions, and a week of hospital care, since he barely made it. My last cat had no significant costs but this incident blew through the discretionary vet bill fund I set up for both cats.

I looked into it and it is a pretty good idea to get pet insurance at least until 7 years old when the cost increases and coverage decreases start to really spike hard.
wow, that is a-lot of $! any ideas on per health insurance and cost?
Old 07-05-2020, 11:19 AM   #36

Haven't purchased it yet, but a few searches pointed to healthypaws as a 1st pick, such as this site:

https://www.investopedia.com/best-pet-insurance-4787972

It costs about $200/year and will cover 80% of the costs, until a cat is 7, after which it will quickly rocket up to costing 10x more and cover almost half as much. I would really only recommend keeping the insurance after that point if the pet has a chronic issue, like cancer.

Personally I do believe insurance is good for covering fat tail situations, so catastrophic insurance make good financial sense while the costs remain reasonable. Whole insurance generally doesn't make much financial sense, generally it is better to just cover those costs yourself, regardless of what your limits are for pet costs.

Another anecdote is that my parent's cat had something similar but less severe happen to her while young. She got her collar stuck on an air vent, causing her to freak out for a long time while they were away at work. Afterwards she stopped eating, got fatty liver disease, then needed the same treatment minus the surgery and long hospital care.
plex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 11:47 AM   #37
gone traveling

A friend once told me he was going to write a bestseller book called "How to Save $100,000 in your Lifetime"....And it would say "don't own a dog".

This posting was timely for us....we are getting a dog for the first time as empty nesters and long ago the "family dog" left us. I've been learning about the prices of stuff for dogs and I think food and supplies are reasonable as long as you do not fall for the "pets are people" guilt stuff.

In calling several local vets, I also learned that there are vets for the people that consider pets as people (very expensive, lots of add ons, guilt trips about what you should be doing/spending) and then vets that are more our speed (dogs are dogs, basic, responsible care and more reasonable prices).

Prices for stuff were priced according to this model.....One vet, $375 for spay, another vet $150......

There is a limit to how much we are willing to spend....We are looking forward to our new 4 legged family member but I think the amount you spend is a personal decision and choice.
Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 11:48 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Healthy paws doesn’t increase the cost of insurance as a pet ages once you buy it. The key is to buy it when they are young and it’s cheap. My friend uses it for all her dogs. Her husband is a doctor and they are wealthy. She showed me the payouts and she said that the insurance has paid for itself many times.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 12:06 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
......She showed me the payouts and she said that the insurance has paid for itself many times.
I think the standard business model for insurance is to charge premiums that exceed payouts.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 12:54 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._Graybeard View Post
This may be a local phenomenon, but our local humane societies have been shipping up animals from kill shelters in the South......People have to be careful, though, because many of the southern strays are infected with heartworm..... Treatment was successful, but lengthy and expensive.

Heart worms are quite typical in my area (Houston). Any dog not given monthly prevention pill will have a very high risk to have heart worms. Treatment to kill them is 3 months long and costs $250 to $500 per dog (varies by dog weight) at a low cost clinic. Probably twice that at a regular vet. Fortunately the current treatments have evolved over time and are normally safe if the dogs heart isn’t too blocked up with worms and the dogs activity is restricted during treatment. As a dog rescuer, we have had many of our foster dogs treated for heart worms. Not fun, quite expensive.