The Economist: Most Livable Cities in the World

I wonder if there's a place so great, its residents never want to go on vacation elsewhere.

They would all take staycation. Why leave paradise to go visit some lesser place? :)

Define paradise. For some, having to stay in one place all the time might change paradise into The Bad Place.

Does anybody remember the Twilight Zone where a dishonest petty crook dies and ends up where he gets everything he wants. Lots of pretty gals, he always wins when hustling a game of pool, his bets at the track always pay off, the food is great, there is plenty of booze and no hangovers, housing is luxurious, etc. etc. etc. Frustrated by boredom and repetition, he finally asks to leave heaven and go to the other place. That's when he finds out he is in the other place!!!

I recall that in the couple of years when I truly contemplated ER, I did think of moving elsewhere.

I remember looking at lofts in downtown Portland. Would be cool to live a city life for a change from suburban life. Glad I did not do that.

I also looked at living for a year or two abroad. An extended stay in Provence? Or perhaps Malta which was open to retirees showing sufficient financial self-support.

In the end, after some extended month-long travels, I decided that many interesting places would stop being exciting if I lived there full-time. The hassle of moving is so great for my high inertial, and it's far simpler to stay where I am and do more travel. I have not run out of places to visit.

I have visited all but Osaka and Vienna though going to visit the latter in October. All beautiful, livable cities. Much more so if one has some resources at their disposal. I have spent more than 4 months in 4 of them, including the one that I currently live in and lived in Vancouver as well. Planning to spend 4-6 months in Amsterdam when things settle down.

Define paradise. For some, having to stay in one place all the time might change paradise into The Bad Place.

Does anybody remember the Twilight Zone where a dishonest petty crook dies and ends up where he gets everything he wants. Lots of pretty gals, he always wins when hustling a game of pool, his bets at the track always pay off, the food is great, there is plenty of booze and no hangovers, housing is luxurious, etc. etc. etc. Frustrated by boredom and repetition, he finally asks to leave heaven and go to the other place. That's when he finds out he is in the other place!!!
Yes I remember that Twilight Zone episode. And the chance to spend a week or two in a hot, sun destination makes the darker and cooler (or colder) months much more tolerable.

I wonder if there's a place so great, its residents never want to go on vacation elsewhere.

They would all take staycation. Why leave paradise to go visit some lesser place? :)

Yes, actually there is such a place! It's called my Dream Home. Its resident (me!) never wants to go on vacation elsewhere. Why leave my Dream Home to go visit some lesser place? :D

Yes, actually there is such a place! It's called my Dream Home. Its resident (me!) never wants to go on vacation elsewhere. Why leave my Dream Home to go visit some lesser place? :D

Are you sure that not even a hurricane can run you out of your house? :D

We have lived in three of those cities. Two of them each for 20 years, one for five years. We live in one and spend a fair amount of time in the other two.

We have spent time in five of the others over the years.

All of them were very livable. But livable is only part of the puzzle about finding the city, town, etc. that has the right combination of whatever is important to you

No different that we would never consider retiring to one of those 'best places for taxes if that were the only draw. After all taxes are just money. Not our life.

We really like Melbourne. The vineyards nearby, the Great Ocean Road at the doorstep, and the city itself. People who live there say that it is a wonderful city, very livable. We will no doubt visit the area again however we have no interest in making it our home nor are we in any way envious of those who do.

Last edited:

Only if it's a great place in every respect that's important to you. For example, you might live on a fantastic beach. There would probably be no reason to vacation at another beach. But you might want to take a vacation for cultural reasons, or to see fall colors or mountain views, take a ski trip, etc.

Only if it's a great place in every respect that's important to you. For example, you might live on a fantastic beach. There would probably be no reason to vacation at another beach. But you might want to take a vacation for cultural reasons, or to (want to) see fall colors or mountain views, take a ski trip, etc.

+1
The one thing I miss is backpacking in the mountains. But that was another life that I won't be revisiting again. Short hikes without a pack will be my limit now.

Cheers!

As another poster said here, "liveable" is anyone with a big wallet. I live in Toronto now and cannot imagine being on the lookout for a new home to purchase. It's insane. Typical income in no way aligns to real estate prices.

What a silly list.

If the metrics included factories, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory is virtually guaranteed Top 10!

Imagine that retirement!

Look at visa requirements if you are planning to relocate to the other countries.

I love Vancouver, BC. But they have a huge housing crunch right now. It is the city that many companies "stash" workers until they can get their green card to work in the US. If I bought a place there, I could only spend 6 months in the country and would need to travel the other 6 months or have another home.

I remember that episode. One of my favorites!

Livable for whom? Mainly (although not exclusively) people from those countries? It give no details on what is required for a foreigner to move to one of those countries.

I also note from the article that their most liveable cities change from year to year.

Personally, I have no interest in living in any of those cities. Basically, I just see that as a list of interesting places . . .

Last edited:
My grandfather used to say: "The best place to live is wherever I'm currently not"

When it's cold we want it hot.
When it's hot, we want it cold
Always wanting, what it's not.

Back
Top Bottom