The good life is not all the expensive

Martha

Moderator Emeritus
The good life is not all that expensive

i pay just under $60 bucks for 30 swims at the hall of fame pool. so in a typical day of waking up late, a protein shake breakfast, biking to the beach and swimming laps i've enjoyed 1/2 a day and spent all of $3. a good life is not all that expensive.

I pulled this from the living on $3000 or less a year thread. Some of the best experiences don't cost much. Our town has many public parks with walking (and in winter, skiing) trails. We have been picking different trails to walk in the morning. Very pleasant and totally free.

Favorite low cost activities?

Last edited:
Tennis. Twice a week with a large group of friends. We have a set time and date and location. Anyone can choose to come or not. No need to for appointment, notification. Every one pays $5/month to pay for balls.

Billiards. At least 3 times a week. Loser pays for table and drinks (coffee, soft drink, and occasional beer). Really cheap ($0) if you win. Not so cheap (about $25) when you lose.

Vagabonding. Get in your vehicle and wander around, no fixed destination. North america is a very big backyard. Can cost as much or as little as you're willing to pay.

walking/boating at one of the city-owned lakes around town.

Boat rental is $3/hr for a nice sized jon boat, PFD's and paddles. Walking a time or two around the lake (@ 2 miles each lap), plus paddling the boat is great exercise, plus it is very scenic.

Boys. :p

I really enjoy shopping. I enjoy shopping just as much or more where other people are buying stuff instead of me. Lately I have gone shopping with a friend and her daughter a few times. The daughter is a shopper extraordinaire. Love going on the hunt with her!

Billiards - for a night out, DS babysits DD, DH and I go out after eating dinner at home. Have a couple beers and play pool at a bar with free live music. Pool costs a dollar per game, but only when you lose. Total can be as low as $25, not bad for a date night.

Also I love thrift stores. Hunting down the right item, or finding something unexpected, and spending only a few dollars.

Back in DC, take snacks from home and sit at the park next to National airport - the planes go right over your head. So close you want to duck!

Potluck game night with friends.

Hiking in our local state and county parks. The county park system alone has over 100k acres of park land.

Uh...sex. :cool:

Unless it leads to children, which are NOT low cost...

Reading. Taking a walk or going for a bike ride with the hubby. (Though the bikes were expensive to buy, once bought, they're cheap.)

I really enjoy shopping. I enjoy shopping just as much or more where other people are buying stuff instead of me. Lately I have gone shopping with a friend and her daughter a few times. The daughter is a shopper extraordinaire. Love going on the hunt with her!

Girls. :p

Shopping? I thought you said "low cost" activities?

Unless it leads to children, which are NOT low cost...

Reading. Taking a walk or going for a bike ride with the hubby. (Though the bikes were expensive to buy, once bought, they're cheap.)

I have a garage sale 10spd "racer" and a Craigslist 12spd "mtn bike". Total cost = $60, plus a new seat and two new tires.

Cheap bastardhood: Priceless

Girls. :p

Shopping? I thought you said "low cost" activities?

DW can find three brand name outfits at rummage sales for less than $20, and have money for a sassparilla left over...........:D:D

Taking the kids to the park - watching 2 y.o. accomplish new feats - taller slide, higher climb - and watching 14 y.o. enjoy playing with her.

Sitting on the porch with DH and a crossword.

Potluck game nights with friends.

hiking and parks for us

no gym membership, just a hilly neighborhood

and one membership per year to a museum or zoo - rotate each year to keep variety up.

Oh yeah - $50 for a one year membership to the NC Aquarium society for our family of 4. We get in free at the aquarium AND the NC zoo, plus a ton of other zoos if we every get the gumption to go to any of these. Going to the zoo a single time costs $32 for our family. I think the membership we bought gives us access to 180 zoos and acquariums for free (or reduced prices). Association of Zoos and Aquariums (Association of Zoos and Aquariums) if anyone is interested.

We live on a little lake, so there's always boating and wildlife watching for free.

We bought a decent inflatable swimming pool for the kids (and me too ;) ) to splash around in. Definitely got our $30 worth out of it.

I'm looking forward to taking the kids to free concerts downtown and free "movies in the park" nights downtown.

I've occasionally seen free sex become rather costly in a variety of ways.

California state annual park pass. About a hundred bucks. Lets you into a brazillion lakes, rivers, mountain bike and paved bike trails, etc.

our zoo/museum passes have a restriction so it doesn't apply to zoos on the list that are within 90 miles or so of your member zoo - they're no dummies! so i only get to use the cross membership when we travel, far! but luckily we do that at least a few times a year...

Hiking in free local/county/state/federal parks.

Attending concerts in coffee houses for the price of a drink.

Reading!

Watching DVDs through Netflix

Working in the garden on a nice day

Playing with my cats

Reading a good book

Knitting

Driving around the countryside

The zoo thing reminded me: annual family pass for the local rescue-zoo: $50

Gabe loves going there. Not so much interested in the animals yet, although he does enjoy chasing the chickens and peacocks. But its all wire fenced in, so he ran run, climb and jump around to his hearts content...thats the big plus.

Back
Top Bottom