Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

The Hemingway Solution - almost
Old 08-19-2010, 01:38 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

The Hemingway Solution - almost

I've followed the journal of MSNBC.com sports columnist Mike Celizic over the past year - well, as best I could since he only published two entries prior to today. The subject matter wasn't very pretty (his battle with cancer) but I think his writing is great and he's often hilarious.

His first two entries can be found here:

Adventures in Cancerland, Part 1: The diagnosis
Adventures in Cancerland, Part 2: Lust for life

After months of silence, his third and probably final entry:

Cancer journal: A happy birthday despite grim news

I'd like to think given the same circumstances I'd make the same choice. I hope if I face something similar I will still be mentally coherent enough to make the decision rather than having my family make it.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2010, 02:11 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I'd like to think given the same circumstances I'd make the same choice. I hope if I face something similar I will still be mentally coherent enough to make the decision rather than having my family make it.
I agree with you. I just want it to be painless and quick.

This sums it up well and reminds us to live it. I know I don't do it as much as I should.

Quote:
The object isn’t to live as long as you can, but as well as you can. I’ve lived very well; had a grand and glorious life. I’ve done everything I’ve ever wanted to do except meet Al Roker. I’m not afraid to die. But I don’t want to die, and there’s the problem. I love life, love this glorious planet, love simple pleasures, love living.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:15 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Thank you for sharing this, REW.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 02:21 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Great post REW, what can I say.
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 02:27 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I kept up with Leroy Sievers' cancer blog until the end.

It really makes you think...
Old 08-19-2010, 03:32 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I've followed the journal of MSNBC.com sports columnist Mike Celizic over the past year - well, as best I could since he only published two entries prior to today. The subject matter wasn't very pretty (his battle with cancer) but I think his writing is great and he's often hilarious.

His first two entries can be found here:

Adventures in Cancerland, Part 1: The diagnosis
Adventures in Cancerland, Part 2: Lust for life

After months of silence, his third and probably final entry:

Cancer journal: A happy birthday despite grim news

I've gone to these links and read all three entries. Thank you so much for posting the links. My aunt is in hospice this week for liver cancer. She may not make it through tonight, her oncologist said. Had she been more coherent I would have liked to have read Celizic's writings to her.
Retire2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 03:51 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

It was hard to read. But I understand completely his decision. I hope that, if I am ever presented with similar circumstances, I will have the courage to accept my fate and make the choice to let go. My wife once told me she would want me to fight it 'til the end, but to me some treatments seem more barbaric than the disease they are supposed to cure.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 03:59 PM   #8

Difficult articles to read. I am glad he is able to make the choice though.
Thanks for sharing this.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 04:33 PM   #9
Gone but not forgotten

Great post ! I cried my eyes out !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 04:54 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yes, REW - very thought-provoking. I can totally understand his decision at the end. I've had the "Big C" twice in my life, and I've had plenty of time to think about what I'd do if faced with the decision. Easier, I'm sure, when it's a "what if" rathen than a decision to make now. I'm thankful I haven't had to face it, but I do know that life takes on a different meaning when it's a possibility.

Thanks for sharing.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 04:58 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Since I was a kid I've heard about those glass cyanide capsules that spies supposedly carry. Given that nothing is truly completely controlled, you'd think one could buy some to stash away if ever needed.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 06:13 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for sharing. I don't know the man, but I truly hate he is having to go through this. He seems to be somewhat at peace with it all. But a depressing situation for him and his family.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:21 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I surely hope I will be able to accept my eventual fate like Mike Celizic did his. Short of a heart attack or a traumatic death, we will get to that point sometimes. Some people do not want to think about it, but I do. I need time to prepare myself, even if it may be a few decades away. Or is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Since I was a kid I've heard about those glass cyanide capsules that spies supposedly carry. Given that nothing is truly completely controlled, you'd think one could buy some to stash away if ever needed.
That's what has been bothering me greatly. A human in terminal conditions must be allowed to die with dignity. I better stop writing now, before I get upset and start to use unkind words.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 07:23 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

As T-Al was the one to first suggest it to me and I used the book as the centerpiece of a difficult essay assignment in college, here's another chance to recommend Loving and Leaving the Good Life, by the late Helen Nearing.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 07:40 PM   #15

We had a friend who died last month of kidney cancer, he was only 45. Up until the end he fought it, however, when he developed ascites he knew it was time and you could feel him accepting his fate and letting go. I admire people who know when it is time to give up treatment and focus on quality of life rather than quantity.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 07:47 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

The common denominator to most "good" deaths is acceptance. It gives boundaries to the sadness. Fighting to the end when futility is clear is often misdirected courage, and makes things much worse for patients and loved ones.

At least is seems that way to me.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 08:02 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

This article talks about a study that shows lung cancer patients who received palliative care survived longer than those who did not (ignore the comments about the health insurance legislation that run through it--the point is that the palliative care has a measurable effect not only only on quality of life but also quantity):

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/19/he...er=rss&emc=rss

Amazing that a few decades ago terminally ill patients often were not even told about how sick they are and today we are accepting of those patients' decisions regarding how they want their last days to be spent.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:22 PM   #18
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Where is the option to die by choice when you simply don't want to put up with the crap anymore?
Old 08-19-2010, 08:26 PM   #19
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Where is the option to die by choice when you simply don't want to put up with the crap anymore?
Check the thread title in the Urban Dictionary.
Old 08-20-2010, 03:03 AM   #20

The real problem comes when the painkillers aren´t effective and you are not about to die soon enough, even if you are terminal......