The next adventure

dory36

Early-Retirement.org Founder, Developer of FIRECal
It's probably at least 18 months of fixup and projects before there will be any serious full-timing, but here's the replacement for Dory:

Attachments

• hard-1.jpg
    hard-1.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 90
  • hard-1.jpg_thumb
    34.7 KB · Views: 1
Isn't this smaller than your last house-on-water?

Yep. A good bit. Dory was a 36' trawler, M&M (new name, after granddaughters) is 29, and as a sailboat, it's much smaller. But we only used the 2nd cabin and 2nd head on Dory for storage, so in practice, it's probably only 10-15% smaller than the space we actually used.

Also, Dory was our only home for several years. M&M will probably be a few months in the fall and another few months in the spring.

REWahoo: "Honey, take a look at Dory's new boat. He and his wife are planning to sail on it for months at a time. That's really neat!"

DW: "Well, he's obviously married to a much more understanding woman than you are."

dory36 said:
it's probably only 10-15% smaller than the space we actually used.
Considering the space you actually get, you should collect both sea pay AND sub pay for that one.

Nords said:
Considering the space you actually get, you should collect both sea pay AND sub pay for that one.
You know you lived on a boat too long when an airplane bathroom seems spacious!

nice looking craft. i love dark blue hulls but i'd be concerned with the heat it could generate inside if sailing sunny southern climes. i assume it is well-ventilated but no mechanical air cooling system? where will be your primary cruising grounds?

and of course, the obvious question: why didn't you get a cape dory 30 footer?

Attachments

• cape dory.jpg
    cape dory.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 21
  • cape dory.jpg_thumb
    34.1 KB · Views: 0
On Dory we were in the Chesapeake in the summers and in Florida in the winters. M&M will be in the Chesapeake at least until fall, but probably until fall 08, then perhaps we'll go down the coast again, maybe to the Bahamas.

dory36 said:
It's probably at least 18 months of fixup and projects before there will be any serious full-timing, but here's the replacement for Dory:

There is a picture of your new boat here? :confused:

Yep -- you don't see it?

Here it is as a link instead of an upload:

hard-1.jpg

Looks great. I'm right now in the middle of reading "Two Against Cape Horn," by a guy who sailed around the horn on a thirty-five foot boat that looks a lot like yours. Like this one:

spencer35satanchorcroppedtoone.JPG

Just finished "Alone Against the Atlantic" by a guy who sailed to England on a 10 foot boat.

yankeegirl2.jpg

Dory, We're so jealous! We only got to live the cruising dream for a year before DH came down with heart problems. Now we are full time RVer's. Enjoy your new boat, she's beautiful!! Fair winds and following seas...

dory36 said:
Yep -- you don't see it?

Here it is as a link instead of an upload:

hard-1.jpg

Yes, I can see this perfectly now. Looks Great! - But it kind of Bugs me that I could not see the Pic that everyone else seems to see? :confused: - Maybe I have something set up in my profile wrong? :confused:

Lifeisgood said:
I couldn't see it either, at first. Then I logged in, et voila!

Well, I'm logged in and still can't see the first picture! - The linked one I can see just fine. :confused:

Weird -- can you see this one?

Attachments

• looking-aft.jpg
    looking-aft.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 40
  • looking-aft.jpg_thumb
    30.8 KB · Views: 0
Looks great!!

Will you share some specifics?

Make, Size, Year .... and the sign-up list for day-sails :D

Some day we hope to join the sailors in FIRE, unfortunately it's a few years away :(

This is a 29' Bristol, built in 1967.

Here is the layout:
b29draw.jpg

CT,

Can you capture your screen (Prt Scrn) and post it here? It might give a clue to the problem. Which brower are you using, version?

Attachments

• ss.JPG
    ss.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 12
  • ss.JPG_thumb
    14.8 KB · Views: 0
Sam said:
CT,

Can you capture your screen (Prt Scrn) and post it here? It might give a clue to the problem. Which brower are you using, version?

I use FireFox 1.5.0.9 and I also tried IE 7 - Same result - this is what I get.

BlankScreen.jpg

FWIW, I don't see the embedded images in FF2, but I do in IE6 or IE7.

[EDIT: FF was as a guest, so disregard... I am seeing the images as expected]

I have firefox and its showing me all the images just fine.

Maybe its more afraid of me than you guys. ;)

I just uploaded a pic in the test moderator area and I can see that one. :confused:

Still can't see anyone else's

Back
Top Bottom