Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 09:02 PM   #2001
Recycles dryer sheets

I bought some cheap Chinese made lighting (set with 2 lights, soft boxes, stands, cables).

They work ok but take a bit of setting up.

They cost me less than US$200 which I thought was good value - just need to use them more often.

I have also done a few workshops with local photography teachers - nothing formal but lots of useful, practical tips.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2014, 09:39 PM   #2002
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus_E_Expat View Post
I bought some cheap Chinese made lighting (set with 2 lights, soft boxes, stands, cables).

They work ok but take a bit of setting up.

They cost me less than US$200 which I thought was good value - just need to use them more often.

I have also done a few workshops with local photography teachers - nothing formal but lots of useful, practical tips.

Nice! Is your lighting made by Yongnuo? I've been looking at Yongnuo on Amazon and their stuff gets great reviews.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 11-27-2014, 04:00 AM   #2003
Recycles dryer sheets

The brand I have is "Visico".
Old 11-27-2014, 04:59 AM   #2004
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Shot some at the railroad roundhouse in Martinsburg, WV, one of the few remaining. Locally it is something that many people are trying to preserve but of course money is tight.
Link to pictures I hope:

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ml#post1441632, post #1096

Thought I remembered the roundhouse pictures. Last night, I met a gentleman who is the new leader for the board or authority that is trying to preserve that roundhouse and make it a place for events as well as honor the railroad heritage. He seemed optimistic but has only been in the job about 4 months! I'll have to point him to your photos.

I met him at our local co-op where I'm one of the group trying to preserve the building and turn it in to a place for local artists and producers to sell their product. We're having a sale on Friday and Saturday as part of the towns buy local and support small business events. His wife is an artist that is participating and we were open last night for those who wanted to brave the snow (8" at our place) and get set up early. Our discussion about saving the co-op led to him telling me about his efforts.

Hope he's successful and will have to take a ride up that way some time to see it in person.
Old 11-27-2014, 05:35 AM   #2005
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Unretouched photo of snow covered pin oak in my front yard, just after daybreak.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PinOakSnowNov272014.jpg (444.1 KB, 15 views)
Old 11-27-2014, 08:08 AM   #2006
Recycles dryer sheets

Just came across this one again on my hard drive - from 2 years ago.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC06237.jpg (467.8 KB, 16 views)
Old 11-27-2014, 09:15 AM   #2007
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus_E_Expat View Post
Just came across this one again on my hard drive - from 2 years ago.
I'm increasingly liking 'capture the action' shots - that's a great one!
Old 11-27-2014, 10:30 AM   #2008
Moderator Emeritus

I agree - great shot - captures the action very well!
Old 11-27-2014, 02:29 PM   #2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemartin88 View Post
Thought I remembered the roundhouse pictures. Last night, I met a gentleman who is the new leader for the board or authority that is trying to preserve that roundhouse and make it a place for events as well as honor the railroad heritage. He seemed optimistic but has only been in the job about 4 months! I'll have to point him to your photos.
Wow, small world!

They are welcome to use any of mine that they want for brochures or whatever and I can shoot some more for them if they would be interested. I'll PM you with an E-mail address. I too would be interested in preservation efforts for that structure.
Old 11-27-2014, 02:37 PM   #2010
Moderator Emeritus

DW's friend's bulldog, Porterhouse

Old 11-27-2014, 02:40 PM   #2011

Gee, I wonder how they came up with that name....

He looks like he'd lick you to death.
Old 11-27-2014, 02:48 PM   #2012
Moderator Emeritus

Yes he would lick you to death. Porter is now an old dog that needs to ride in a baby stroller during long walks. He's got a great personality, even after losing his buddy Lamb chop, another bulldog.
Old 12-02-2014, 08:16 PM   #2013
Recycles dryer sheets

Having my monthly "retirement" week.

I took these photos while out on my early morning walk.

The spiral is looking upwards in the silver turret.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E P1030159.jpg (962.1 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg E P1030175 (2).jpg (941.0 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg E P1030208.jpg (510.4 KB, 13 views)
The Photographers' Corner
Old 12-05-2014, 07:28 AM   #2014
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The Photographers' Corner

My son expressed an interest in a camera other than a P&S for Christmas, but he has no real experience. Something more compact, with interchangeable lens, a viewfinder in addition to LCD screen, not too much money but could have a flash and better lenses added down the line, dials rather than menu driven, as much as possible.

Found the Sony 6000 last night. Looks interesting. Kit lens good but not great. Zeiss, Nikon and other lenses could be added down the road. APS- C, 24MB sensor. $600, so if he never really gets into it, no great loss...

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 12-05-2014, 04:37 PM   #2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraphim View Post
My son expressed an interest in a camera other than a P&S for Christmas, but he has no real experience.
Here ya go: Digital Photography Review: Digital Photography Review

More information than (almost) anyone would want to know about (almost) any camera. I mean really - a review of a DSLR that runs 20 pages is not uncommon. They're rather thorough I'd say....

A few years ago we chipped in with others and bought DW's nephew's wife a Nikon D3200 with the kit lens and a 70-200mm telephoto lens. She's thrilled with it and has actually sold a print, which is one more than I have.
Old 12-06-2014, 07:55 AM   #2016
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My son expressed an interest in a camera other than a P&S for Christmas, but he has no real experience.
What Camera Should I Buy? Tony Northrup Gives a Few Suggestions

or go directly to the YouTube video:

(I note that they are very partial to the new Canon 7D Mark II -but don't over-push it. However, I don't blame them since this is my favorite camera, ever.)
Old 12-06-2014, 09:12 AM   #2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Here ya go: Digital Photography Review: Digital Photography Review

More information than (almost) anyone would want to know about (almost) any camera. I mean really - a review of a DSLR that runs 20 pages is not uncommon. They're rather thorough I'd say....

A few years ago we chipped in with others and bought DW's nephew's wife a Nikon D3200 with the kit lens and a 70-200mm telephoto lens. She's thrilled with it and has actually sold a print, which is one more than I have.
Yes - I check that site before any major purchase. It convinced me to go with a Sigma lens recently, rather than the Nikon version of the same lens - saved me about $1200, for my purposes, and I love the Sigma. First non-Nikon lens Ive bought since the 80s.
Old 12-06-2014, 09:16 AM   #2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
What Camera Should I Buy? Tony Northrup Gives a Few Suggestions

or go directly to the YouTube video:

(I note that they are very partial to the new Canon 7D Mark II -but don't over-push it. However, I don't blame them since this is my favorite camera, ever.)
Im avoiding a DSLR for him, looking for something more compact so he'll carry it. If he really gets into it, we'll consider something else down the road. But I doubt he'd get into carrying a large camera, as I do.

If he did, I'd probably go Nikon so he can have access to my old lenses.
Old 12-06-2014, 09:19 AM   #2019
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Im avoiding a DSLR for him, looking for something more compact so he'll carry it. If he really gets into it, we'll consider something else down the road. But I doubt he'd get into carrying a large camera, as I do.
The video (if you watch it) covers the gamut. And their "Buyer's Guide" is fairly useful also.

But you are correct. I should not have brought up the 7D.
Old 12-06-2014, 09:20 AM   #2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
The video (if you watch it) covers the gamut.

But you are correct. I should not have brought up the 7D.
No problem - all opinions are welcome!