Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 11:07 AM   #2641
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Ron. I've taken a lot of shots recently that just don't look good. But I saw this aquarium with its great lighting and figured that it might make a decent photo. Its amazing how great lighting makes a photo pop.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2017, 11:59 AM   #2642
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Its amazing how great lighting makes a photo pop.
Quote:
Its amazing how great lighting makes a photo pop.
Yes, it is definitely all about the light... artificial or natural. Well, being in the right place at the right time plays some small role. <chuckle>

The cliché: "photography" is Latin for "writing with light," or some such.
Old 01-18-2017, 01:25 PM   #2643
Give me a forum ...

I've found dpreviews.com and like it a lot, but are there other websites I should take a look at for gear guides/reviews and forums? Considering buying a new camera in the $1000 or less range, but it has to be capable of great video too.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 30% bond funds / 20% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 01-18-2017, 02:32 PM   #2644
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

fredmiranda.com: Specialized in Canon - Nikon SLR Cameras, Forum, Photoshop Plugins, Actions, Reviews, Hosting and Digital Darkroom
Photography-on-the.net Digital Photography Forums
Old 01-18-2017, 02:35 PM   #2645
Give me a forum ...

DP Reviews is pretty solid.

They have forums there too, very active.

Looks like mirrorless cameras are ahead at the moment for video, especially 4K video. But even a top mirrorless body can approach $2000.
Old 01-18-2017, 02:42 PM   #2646
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
DP Reviews is pretty solid.

They have forums there too, very active.

Looks like mirrorless cameras are ahead at the moment for video, especially 4K video. But even a top mirrorless body can approach $2000.
Thanks, I learn a lot at DPReviews.

I'm getting the impression?
  • As long as I have decent quality video (1080p-60 for slow-mo & maybe 4K-30 for cropping), that's good enough. Content trumps quality beyond that for now - you can produce a very successful video nowadays with a smartphone and free editing software. The Lumix LX10 or a Sony RX100IV may be more than enough, but I'm still looking - no rush.
  • Nikon D90 was out of date much faster than I hoped. If anything, the technology is moving even faster now, anything I buy will be out of date very quickly.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 30% bond funds / 20% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 01-18-2017, 03:13 PM   #2647
Give me a forum ...

I don't know much about the dedicated camcorder space, though I just heard Sony introduced some camcorders at CES with 4K and multiple-axis stabilization.

That might be a big deal. I have a D750 which should produce great video with the size of the sensor and the availability of lenses.

However, even in the short clips that I shoot, the lack of stabilization makes for difficult to watch video.

My iPhone produces pretty smooth, watchable videos because of stabilization. It works not just for videos but slow-motion and time-lapses.

There are stabilization rigs that you can get for DSLRs but they're too cumbersome to deal with, if you're shooting stills most of the time. So I haven't really considered getting them.

I'm only shooting short clips here and there, not looking to put together anything that involved. But for those who want to make short films, it's probably worth looking into.
Old 01-18-2017, 07:53 PM   #2648
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I've found dpreviews.com and like it a lot, but are there other websites I should take a look at for gear guides/reviews and forums?
Definite yes on dpreviews. A couple other favorites of mine are https://www.slrlounge.com/ & https://luminous-landscape.com/.

(Luminous Landscape is now a subscription site but well worth the modest ($12/yr) fee.)
Old 01-21-2017, 11:11 AM   #2649

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I've found dpreviews.com and like it a lot, but are there other websites I should take a look at for gear guides/reviews and forums? Considering buying a new camera in the $1000 or less range, but it has to be capable of great video too.
I like Hogan's reviews at either sansmirror.com or dslrbodies.com (nikon). I find DPReviews ok but too generally too long and clinical.

CameraStoreTV has a youtube channel with good reviews. They usually devote half the review to video: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCameraStoreTV
Old 01-25-2017, 09:05 AM   #2650
Moderator Emeritus

A late afternoon hike in the desert.

5 exposure HDR
F18, 25mm, ISO 100, 1/15 sec
Edited in Nik Google Color Efex Pro

Old 01-25-2017, 09:16 AM   #2651
Full time employment: Posting here.

very nice
Old 01-25-2017, 09:58 AM   #2652
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
A late afternoon hike in the desert.
Nice shot!

However, I would have used less Saturation in the red/orange during Post for a more natural appearance. But that's just me... <chuckle>
Old 01-25-2017, 11:13 AM   #2653
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Nice shot!

However, I would have used less Saturation in the red/orange during Post for a more natural appearance. But that's just me... <chuckle>
Thanks for the input - It was quite weird yesterday - The photo is very close to what the skies were like. I didn't amp up the colors, but the edit to the presets in the Nik Color Efex Pro did pop them a bit.

I thought the colors looked a little aggressive as well. I'm editing on a small laptop so its tough to tell. I'm saving the raw files until I can edit them with bigger monitor.
Old 01-25-2017, 11:26 AM   #2654
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm editing on a small laptop so its tough to tell. I'm saving the raw files until I can edit them with bigger monitor.
Yeah, and I am looking at it with a calibrated EIZO CS2420 monitor (ColorEdge CS2420 - Hardware Calibration LCD Monitor | EIZO) and I am sure that during the upload the image was "enhanced" by methods beyond your control (I suppose ER Forums software) to appear "better" on most computers.

In any event, it is a great shot... wished I was there.
Need for Extra-Wide Angle Lens in The Age of Panoramas
Old 01-26-2017, 08:36 AM   #2655
Confused about dryer sheets

Need for Extra-Wide Angle Lens in The Age of Panoramas

Having an interest in landscape photography, and after seeing the capability of panorama-stitching cameras/software (in my case Lightroom/Photoshop CC), I would appreciate feedback as to whether it's even necessary to purchase and lug to the field an extra-wide angle lens. Opinions?
The Photographers' Corner
Old 01-26-2017, 09:23 AM   #2656
Moderator Emeritus

The Photographers' Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatureBoy View Post
Having an interest in landscape photography, and after seeing the capability of panorama-stitching cameras/software (in my case Lightroom/Photoshop CC), I would appreciate feedback as to whether it's even necessary to purchase and lug to the field an extra-wide angle lens. Opinions?

I've used the panorama merge routine in Lightroom a few times and find that it does a decent job. I regularly go out with only a 16-35 and find that I miss some opportunities where a longer lens would work. So I was going to start lugging more lenses with me.

But I see your point. I think I'll try stitching more to see how it compares to a wide angle lens in quality and over ease of use.
Old 01-26-2017, 09:45 AM   #2657
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I am a fan of panorama-stitching and was even back in the early days (of digital) when it was completely manual. I, personally, find that a series of merged images shot at say 300mm provide much more post editing opportunities than a single image at say 18mm. (Particularly if most of the POST is done pre-merge -- exposure, for instance, being problematic in merged shots.)

Now having said that, I have no proof since I rarely have 18mm shots to work with.
Old 01-26-2017, 12:47 PM   #2658

Quote:
Panorama software is not foolproof. Sometimes the program is not able to do it cleanly. I used to have 18mm at the wide end of a zoom lens with an APS-C body. The panos worked but still took time to get right. I now have a full frame sensor body and the zoom goes to 16mm, so about 50% wider than before. I like that better, and still do panos from there, but less often.
Old 01-29-2017, 09:55 AM   #2659
Moderator Emeritus

Chapel of the Holy Cross, Sedona, Az

F18, 32 mm, 1/80 sec, ISO 500

Old 01-29-2017, 10:04 AM   #2660
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Chapel of the Holy Cross, Sedona, Az
Another winner!
Closed Thread