Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-16-2018, 03:47 PM   #2941
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
Iím not sure if this thread is still active, but just in case:

Just getting started on a digitization project, scanning old photos. Itíll take a while.

Iíve been using TIFF as the output format for my scans. My understanding is that itís lossless and a reasonably widely-understood format among various tools.

Good/bad choice?
Much of the advice in this scanner review is geared towards this particular scanner, but a lot of it is also more general advice on making digital scans of photographs. I wound up buying that scanner partially based on the quality of that review, as I felt I would be better prepared to use that one rather than another random scanner with similar specs.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2018, 03:53 PM   #2942
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thanks, storage is not a big deal at present. And some of these photos are Fords. Model T, in fact.

I just want to keep the most information preserved from the original image. Right now, itís all drudge work of scanning but down the road I want to do post-processing and hope to use digiKam and/or GIMP (both open source).
Is compressed TIF an option in the software?
Old 12-16-2018, 04:13 PM   #2943

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post

I believe so (in digiKam), but havenít tried it so far.

Old 12-16-2018, 04:15 PM   #2944

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cosmic Avenger View Post
Much of the advice in ... is geared towards this particular scanner, but a lot of it is also more general advice on making digital scans of photographs. I wound up buying that scanner partially based on the quality of that review, as I felt I would be better prepared to use that one rather than another random scanner with similar specs.

Very detailed information/suggestions. Thanks!

Old 12-16-2018, 07:43 PM   #2945
Recycles dryer sheets

https://www.scantips.com/

I've used this site quite a bit, preparing to digitize a bunch of negatives and slides.
Old 12-17-2018, 12:49 AM   #2946
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I used a small viewer type thing, which could take slides and would take a photo of them, it worked but was poor at resolution and quality.

But it made me think I could build a stand to prop up my slides on, and then use a 20 Mega pixel camera to photograph the slide (with a white bright or illuminated background).

Here is one fellow's method that looks pretty good,
https://www.instructables.com/id/35m...ith-Cellphone/

Has anyone tried something similar, but with a camera (my camera is higher quality than my phone).
Old 12-17-2018, 07:38 AM   #2947

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggbutcher View Post
https://www.scantips.com/

I've used this site quite a bit, preparing to digitize a bunch of negatives and slides.

That looks like another very useful resource. Thanks!

Old 12-17-2018, 08:02 AM   #2948
Give me a forum ...

[QUOTE=Walt34;2158021] I usually save scans in .jpg format anyway and make any changes in Lightroom, which does not alter the original image/QUOTE]

The JPG image is much smaller because the compression scheme deletes much data. The lossless TIF file keeps all of the data from the capture device -- same as with RAW in digital cameras.

FWIW, I use the Vuescan software (from https://www.hamrick.com/) to control my scanner.
Old 12-17-2018, 09:20 AM   #2949
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I’m not sure if this thread is still active, but just in case:

Just getting started on a digitization project, scanning old photos. It’ll take a while.

I’ve been using TIFF as the output format for my scans. My understanding is that it’s lossless and a reasonably widely-understood format among various tools.

Good/bad choice?

Quote:
That’s a good question/point. It’s a consumer model, up to something like 2400. But I expect to stick at 300 for “everyday” shots and 600 for images I especially like. I’ve only done less than a handful at 600 so far.
Before you start using 300/600 LOSSLESS, read up a bit. I remember seeing an article that gave excellent examples where a scan at higher resolution, and then compressed, was far better than lower resolution lossless.

Try googling that, and you could experiment. I think you'll find that only a modest amount of compression to a high resolution scan will be needed to produce a file size the same /smaller than the lossless 300/600 scan, and the quality may be far better.

But double check all that. But actually, it seems like common sense. If it were not true, why would we bother with these fancy, complex compression algorithms? We would just cut the resolution down!

-ERD50
Old 12-17-2018, 09:52 AM   #2950

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Try googling that, and you could experiment. I think you'll find that only a modest amount of compression to a high resolution scan will be needed to produce a file size the same /smaller than the lossless 300/600 scan, and the quality may be far better.

-ERD50

Good suggestion and it makes sense. This is all really a learning process for me, Iím not as knowledgeable as many of the people whoíve posted in this and similar threads (by a long shot).

My efforts with this are very informal, toes-in-the-water type stuff. Iíll be retaining the original source, too.

I think what Iíll do is forge ahead and keep scanning. Image management tools let you tag, label, rank, and so on. My guess is doing that while revisiting the photos will winnow it down to those that could benefit from extra attention. Who wants to mess with a blurry, off-centered photo taken of a bunch of questionable sots at some party, anyway? We were behaving in a ďlossyĒ way in the first place!

Old 12-17-2018, 09:58 AM   #2951
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
We were behaving in a ďlossyĒ way in the first place!
Great line. I may steal that someday.
Old 12-17-2018, 10:01 AM   #2952

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Great line. I may steal that someday.

Feel free. Sometimes I actually amuse myself. :-)

Old 12-17-2018, 12:25 PM   #2953
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Before you start using 300/600 LOSSLESS, read up a bit. I remember seeing an article that gave excellent examples where a scan at higher resolution, and then compressed, was far better than lower resolution lossless.

But double check all that. But actually, it seems like common sense. If it were not true, why would we bother with these fancy, complex compression algorithms? We would just cut the resolution down!

-ERD50
IIRC that's true. We used compressed tiff for business documents and some regulatory bodies were involved in the process.
Old 12-17-2018, 02:35 PM   #2954
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
IIRC that's true. We used compressed tiff for business documents and some regulatory bodies were involved in the process.
Well, this will be my anecdotal evidence. (And sadly not the most authoritative source.)

Well, we're not speaking of documents here.

I have found that scans are hard enough to work with (LR or PS) even when there is an abundance of data. There are just sometimes you need to go way beyond the normal post-processing to get the image where you want it. Particularly if the original image is damaged (more so with printed picture scans but nevertheless). The more data one has to work with the more the image can be enlarged and the greater detail to work with.

Of course, the other option (the wise one perhaps) is scan with the greatest storage space savings in mind and, if a "treasure" is found, go back and scan it at high resolution.
The Photographers' Corner
Old 12-17-2018, 04:10 PM   #2955

The Photographers' Corner

Quote:
Of course, the other option (the wise one perhaps) is scan with the greatest storage space savings in mind and, if a "treasure" is found, go back and scan it at high resolution.

Iím thinking thatís in line with my (evolving) approach. I also realize that current storage options, for images that one doesnít mind being ďin the cloudĒ, are large. Right now, I have 14 TB of local HDD storage, which is a lot to work with (Iím not a video person, but have a lot of audio).

Iím guessing LR and PS refer to Lightroom and Photoshop. Iím working with digiKam, not as polished but free. It seems OK to me, but Iíve only started learning about its management, not editing, features. Itís also non-destructive, using a versioning scheme.

[ADDED] After writing this, I searched to see what limits Google Photos imposes on its ďfree unlimited storageĒ policy. It seems theyíve dialed it down, especially for video.

https://www.theverge.com/platform/am...at-unsupported

Old 12-21-2018, 12:33 PM   #2956

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post

Following up on this: I was examining file properties (using digiKam) of some photos Iíd scanned in TIFF and discovered they used LZW compression. I hadnít done anything to request that.

From what I can learn through Google, LZW is lossless. It also may even increase the file size according to one preservation website.

Apart from the obvious benefit of scanning photos, this is a learning exercise. Never knew what ďEXIFĒ was either!

Old 12-21-2018, 12:45 PM   #2957
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Never knew what ďEXIFĒ was either!
Yes, EXIF is good to know about. It is what makes Lightroom such a wonderful program. I can, for instance, instantly find the 3 images of "Joe Smith" among my 120,000 images... or of Mt. Rushmore. I can, also, see on a Google map where each of the pictures were taken (well, those taken with my current cameras anyway). So very handy.

FWIW, this is true of the metadata found in other digital files -- i.e., music and video files.
Old 12-21-2018, 12:48 PM   #2958

Quote:
Yes, EXIF is good to know about. It is what makes Lightroom such a wonderful program. I can, for instance, instantly find the 3 images of "Joe Smith" among my 120,000 images... or of Mt. Rushmore. I can, also, see on a Google map where each of the pictures were taken (well, those taken with my current cameras anyway). So very handy.

FWIW, this is true of the metadata found in other digital files -- i.e., music and video files.

Thanks for the additional info. This thread has a wealth of useful information and experience for the uninitiated. Not to mention great photos!

Old 12-24-2018, 11:14 AM   #2959
Give me a forum ...

Here's a bit of photographic history:

Quote:
Fifty years ago todayó50 years ago this morning, at a few minutes after 10:30 Central U.S. timeóa former USAF fighter pilot named William A. (Bill) Anders, who is now 85 years old and lives in Anacortes, in the State of Washington on the West coast, took one of the indisputably great photographs of the 20th century.
Apollo 8 had entered lunar orbit and they photographed Earthrise over the moon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=LHbFIieK-uo
Old 12-24-2018, 11:25 AM   #2960
Moderator Emeritus

^ Thanks for posting! That is an incredible photo.
Closed Thread